Why is my forum so bloated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Why is my forum so bloated?

Members have been complaining my sight is slower after upgrading to vB4. I went to WebSiteOptimazation.com to check my site then compared it to the official forum here. The total files tied to my forum page, according to that site is 270K. It said vB official forum was 114K. The numbers that were way off were my js files (124K) and css files (82K). The only thing I've added to my forum are 5 styles. I see vB offical forum has none. Could this be were the additional js and css files are coming from? Images don't seem to be a culprit. It said vB official forum had more images than mine.

Main Culprits:

(65K of CSS) http://mydomain.com/forum/css.php?st...rmcontrols.css

(57K of js) http://mydomain.com/forum/clientscri...event.js?v=401

(47K of js) http://mydomain.com/forum/clientscri...-core.js?v=401

I think the CSS is a big one because it loads the default rules and then custom styles on top of them so you're effectively getting double the CSS
    Problems with vB4? Try This Thread for answers!

Comment

In the admincp > options > Server Settings and Optimization Options, I changed the Use Remote YUI to Yahoo! so it won't call that 57K script from my site anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by worried View Post
        In the admincp > options > Server Settings and Optimization Options, I changed the Use Remote YUI to Yahoo! so it won't call that 57K script from my site anymore.
        it still won't help ... the end-user still has to wait for ALL to download

it's helpful if your visitors visit other sites that use the same file - they will not have to download if cached

-----
        are your files cached? ie. css, js, images, etc,
        Liquid Layout = Less Ad Revenue?
        How to Monetize Your Site

More features does NOT equal progress (Less is More)

Administrator:
        vBulletin.org - #1 Community for vBulletin Modifications
        allnurses.com - #1 Community for Nurses

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I don't think they're cached. I'd be grateful if you could tell me how to cache them.

Comment

They will be automatically cached on your second visit..

I too agree that there is way to much bloat in CSS and JS..

Comment

I've been using a vbcaching system on vbulletin.org

Comment

This maybe of some help: http://davidmchenry.info/2009/12/18/...ized-htaccess/

Comment

VB 4 has a hugh server footprint to begin with. I have to say that adding too many styles will add some fat to the old gal in a hurry. The law of equivalent exchange applies here. "In order to gain something, something of equal value must be given in exchange" That means if you want to add more styles to your forum, you're going to have to give up something. If you use images in your styles then take a look at washing them through a picture handling program and reduce the file size. Not the dimensions, just the byte count. You'd be surprised how fast that racks up server space if you're not conserverative about that.
                  So it's not only the files vb 4 uses, it's also the files you use to make your styles. You may not have as many as they do here but if the byte count is bigger for what you have, it will take longer to load a page.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I added the .htaccess file to my forum directory...looks good so far. I removed 3 styles. Removing the styles did nothing to my CSS file size according to that site.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I don't think they're cached. I'd be grateful if you could tell me how to cache them.
                      sorry, I meant to say "Are your files compressed (gzip)? ie. css, js, images, etc,"
                      Liquid Layout = Less Ad Revenue?
                      How to Monetize Your Site

More features does NOT equal progress (Less is More)

Administrator:
                      vBulletin.org - #1 Community for vBulletin Modifications
                      allnurses.com - #1 Community for Nurses

Comment

I had to look this topic up:
                        http://betterexplained.com/articles/...p-compression/
                        Mine aren't compressed. Is there documentation to set this up with vBulletin?

Comment

This is weird, I see this same problem in other account but only in Firefox not in IE, Opera or Chrome...
                          Jesus is coming. Are you ready?

Comment

Removing the styles did nothing to my CSS file size according to that site.
                            Becasue that site is only loading one style, just like your users are. It doesn't make sense that multiple styles would have any impact on load times. You only load/view/use one style at a time, not all of them.

Comment