Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] WYSIWYG editor for CMS

First, hi to all !

I'm having problems with the CMS "wysiwyg" editor in vb4, i think it's a good editor for a forum, but a bad editor for a CMS.

Actually, i have several people that must publish articles in my CMS, and most of them are unskilled posters, they need a REAL wysiwyg system.

I have seen some good editors, like CKEditor or WysiwygPro, and my question is, is there a way to integrate them in the vb4 bulletin system ?

I like to replace the original CMS editor with one of these.

Thanks in advance !

Last edited by Dexter55; Mon 18 Jan '10, 1:59am.

If they are used to posting on your forum then the VB WYSIWYG editor will be fine and even better if they are unskilled because an different WYSIWYG editor won't make it any different. It's also pretty good because it allows the addition of custom bbcode.
    Problems with vB4? Try This Thread for answers!

Comment

Thanks Alex.

Yes, they are used to post in the forum, but the needs of an article are different. You must make them with style, images at the size that you want, text with some format, include some tables with colored cells, etc ...

People wants to write an article like you do it in Word, you must control the elements in an easy way , and the VB editor is good for the forums, but IMO , not for create content for the CMS.

Comment

You can't easily transfer the way you write a document in word to the web it just doesn't work as you end up with so much crap. As a professional web developer I'd prefer to teach my clients some basic HTML than let them copy and paste from word.

I also think the way the editor is integrated with VB means you replace the CMS you replace the forums too.
        Problems with vB4? Try This Thread for answers!

Comment

The editor for the CMS is just in one word a Crap, you can teach your clients basic html, but you cant teaach a forum comunity to use them, also the editor being unavaiable to use in Chrome, Safari, etc. is just a 100% failure point, there is a lot of ppl running already with ChromeOS and its impossible to use teh wysiwyg interface, while this is not fixed and a lot of other issues, i see my licences useless.

Honestly to stick on thread, even crappy free cms versions have better editors and compatible with all browsers, the actual one seens old, useless and imature as all the cms still looking, for me i see the actual version as a 1st Beta release and not close at this point to a final product, sadly the team only spot here when many ppl are complaining about same thing for long, but many as myself just see that as a few glasses of water in a big fireplace, at this point the CMS is nice for ppl who have 1 or 2 guys handling with content, for projects that have near 20 persons managing them and twice others randomly adding extras the options to manage are very weak looking at good editors.

For some reason the top change in many free CMS products is the CFEditor, and thats a awesome editor for anyone without knowledge, but for now it seems that VB turned into a product for only skilled persons,havind to deal with a large ammount of contents as more then 20 different page styles, 20.000 different contents planned for this year, the current CMS still looking bad for that, and most complains for all in my project is the regular updates breaking many things and the editor that still look as a old one or unfinished.

Just look at the ammount of buttons added there to handle with tables, any other god editor you manage them directly in the table options, you dont need to use a lot of buttons to place what you want, editing images with the current editor is sutch a nightmare, there is basicly options there, nothing more then that, and the look you get have nothing to do with the final result, so looking at the right definition of WYSIWYG, this editor is just a editor and not a WYSIWYG editor at all since you get completly different looks from what you edit in that interface.

From the time this have been worked and changed, it seems to me more as a failure of copying other editors ideas as CKEditor, look at that and the image manager, and point me anything better with the editor here or with this asset manager.

I just hope this can be turned back as anything great as the forums, but the current CMS have too many issues, one thing is look at this as a primary release of a product, other thing is seeing this product failing in many things others already have for long, if they stick with the editor for ex. just add a option to import / add other editor options, i bet 90% of the users would change it, but as many things requested and dozens of products we keep using since they were released that should be implemented as part of the core, day after day i feel the customers requests are just ignored, and looking at all this with a real cold look, that made already many old users leave this product, i really hope this can be fixed, but working for 3 months preparing something to be released in June and having a big part of all my imput forwards the usage of the Suite version for that, right now i feel like that was the huge wrongest choice i did, and that made already two persons stopped with the project.

So while this simple thing is not fixed, me and two others keep editing the test contents, while the others start to be angry and already skipp adding content by themselfs and just mail those so we place that for them!

Comment

Hi Miguel, i'm just in the same situation, with currently five persons unable to manage the contents, three of them using Safari also.

I also feel that i have waste my time and money with this product, and think i have made a wrong choice at this point. The base of a CMS system, is how easy is to mantain, update and create content, and also for me ( and i have enougth knowledgement ) is difficult to create content.

Try to create a table, with colored cells, different text formats and different row heights for example, it's a disaster with the current editor.

Just look at the ammount of buttons added there to handle with tables, any other god editor you manage them directly in the table options, you dont need to use a lot of buttons to place what you want, editing images with the current editor is sutch a nightmare, there is basicly options there, nothing more then that, and the look you get have nothing to do with the final result, so looking at the right definition of WYSIWYG, this editor is just a editor and not a WYSIWYG editor at all since you get completly different looks from what you edit in that interface.
            Totally agree.

if they stick with the editor for ex. just add a option to import / add other editor options, i bet 90% of the users would change it
            Yes, is what i want, the option to change the editor for the one i choose. And i bet 98% of the users would change.

The shorter way is that vBulletin team gets for example an OEM license of CKEditor ( or anyother one ), they will have a finished product, full of features, cross-browser compatible, implement it in the current VB4, it's the cheapest, quicker and safer thing they can do, and all the VB4 licensed users will benefit of that.

I would like to read the opinion of a member of the VB development team.

Comment

How about this one:
              TinyMCE by Moxicode is a great open source WYSIWYG HTML editor which is extremely stable and reliable. It's cross browser, XHTML compatible and has a whole host of great features.

Comment

TinyMCE looks good also, doesnĀ“t matter what editor use, the important is to use one better than we have.

Comment

TinyMCE is also nice, even default WP editor have more options to handle with images (this is very important on my content), and with Chrome getting close in Europe to FF i really dont support anything on this being skipped by the devs, i dunno how is the usage in US but Safari and Chrome toguether not being supported looks really bad.

Nothing more to say i didnt placed about this issue, tomorrow will add it in projects, is geting damn late here atm...

Comment

Hi again Miguel !

I hope somebody of the development team read this thread, and think about it. Actually i think it's more important to fix the CMS editor than fix minor bugs.

Comment

This was placed a few times on the suggestions and Beta forums, but theres a lot of ppl who just keep looking at the new things and not really to how things should work, for a long time reading forums i have noticed many were running only forum boards, so any cms for them is more like a new and something that rox, but for someone who have higher needs theres a lot of work to do, and the editor is your worktable, but working with deep articles with videos, images, photo sequences, and multiple text forms,theres no sutch options or a alternative to do them, i didnt even lose time with the tables they failed already with a interface that make the editor look even worst.

But im getting close to the end of the timeline anyway, so the only two things that can happen are to delay the current project a few more time, the second is leave this platform out of that, the biggest board i work for didnt renew, and at the moment there are more opinions to move forward other solution witch is just sad in my opinion, i did renew my two licences to get benefit from the price having both renewed just some weeks before suite announcement, now i see that was money throw to the garbage, is how i feel seeing this package released as a gold version, the second thing that pisses me off is the clarity of some pression to release this suite in a date and not in a end aproved and stable program, even every update many things get broken again!

I really hope something or someone put hands to fix all this problems and to place this compatible with everything, right now this is a product for my small game forum but nothing more than that, but even for that board i would do a mutch better work with free tools.

But like you said Dex, sadly there are more imput in small things instead where the software fails as a good content manage, but it seems after eight years of CMS solutions, one of the most debated issues by the time was ignored again, even worst since was placed in suggestions, and there is nothing telling you may have restrictions as editor or author for articles in the CMS.

In fast resume we miss compability and flexibility to manage things, and most important of all, to be user friendly and not expertised only friendly... or not!

Comment

Originally posted by Gumble View Post
                        In fast resume we miss compability and flexibility to manage things, and most important of all, to be user friendly and not expertised only friendly... or not!
                        I'm totally agree again Gumble. Yesterday i was talking with a good friend of mine, he is a very good php developer, and we are going to try to implement CKEditor into the CMS. First, we are going to see if it's possible to do it without wasting a lot of time, and try to evaluate how affordable it is.

The only thing i'm afraid, is that our implementation could be broken in any of the updates, we must think it and see what can we do.

It's incredible that most customers using the CMS don't say nothing at all, as you say, i think most of users see the CMS as an "addon" that they really never use.

I posted this issue in the old Beta forum also, but never get an answer from nobody of the dev team, at least, i like to know the plans of the dev team, to see if i must migrate to another platform and dont waste more time with VB4.

Comment

That was one of my ideas, to get someone working to add a editor option, but i keep seeing things changing all the time, mobs getting broken every update, i have no idea how hard or if its possible at all to be done, but while this product dont stay in a stable way i see any deep work futile, every few weeks later that can be broken again...

Hope this time its not ignored, have placed it in bug tracker...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=35574

Comment

Thanks Gumble, i have give a reply to your post in the bug tracker, and also, add a post to the wish list to 4.1
                            http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...sh-List/page12

I hope we get any answer from the dev team.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X