Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bring back the forums column in thread display!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nickp
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy View Post
    This doesn't make sense to me. If you only want to see new posts in a particular forum, then why bother with New Posts. Just go to the forum you are interested in.
    Well, our board is a sports board with several categories of different sports and most of the members are interested in specific categories only. Before they were able to look on the right and if they spot a forum that interests them then glace over to the left for the thread title.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by cinderelmo View Post
    It would make even more sense to have a separate column showing forum names, with the option to uncheck the forums they have no interest.
    I had an option like that where members could exclude whatever forum they didn't want showing up in New Posts. It was used by a handful of members. People in general just like things that are simple.

Leave a comment:

• cinderelmo
    replied
    It would make even more sense to have a separate column showing forum names, with the option to uncheck the forums they have no interest. This would be a VERY valuable tool for my forum which has users who, for example are only interested in apples, and don't ever want to see a post about Oranges. The fact that the new post functionality has been changed without substantial improvement shows a lack of understanding about how New Posts is used by members. Personally I don't use New Posts at all, but I'm the admin and I've found over the years that being admin and being on the forum every day of the year can make you do things that are quite different than the average user. I craft my forum for the users, not myself, so telling them what they should like and how they should do things is counterproductive.
    Last edited by cinderelmo; Wed 13th Jan '10, 11:52am.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Don't let followers limit advancements in desgn. Often when a new and better idea comes along it takes time for the masses to realize the benefits. Thank goodness for forward thinkers.
    That's fine if it is actually an advancement. I'm not convinced that it is.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    Unfortunately I don't tell my members what to like, I listen to feedback from them and try to give them what THEY want, not what I want.
    Don't let followers limit advancements in desgn. Often when a new and better idea comes along it takes time for the masses to realize the benefits. Thank goodness for forward thinkers.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by nickp View Post
    Exactly.
    If you're trying to glance at all the forums and pick out the ones that interest you the most then the vb4 layout doesn't help at all. It is cluttered right underneath the thread title, next to the username (and in my case, the thread start date). It is also hard to look at all the forum names quickly since they are all not aligned.
    This doesn't make sense to me. If you only want to see new posts in a particular forum, then why bother with New Posts. Just go to the forum you are interested in.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    They should get used to it because it's a better design. Do you like to constantly move your eyes from the extreme left side of the screen to the extreme right side of the screen? Having the forum name directly under the thread title solved this problem IMHO.
    Unfortunately I don't tell my members what to like, I listen to feedback from them and try to give them what THEY want, not what I want.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Why should they get used to it? They can easily go and use another site! It seems to be change for change's sake.
    They should get used to it because it's a better design. Do you like to constantly move your eyes from the extreme left side of the screen to the extreme right side of the screen? Having the forum name directly under the thread title solved this problem IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• nickp
    replied
    Why should they get used to it? They can easily go and use another site! It seems to be change for change's sake.
    Exactly.
    If you're trying to glance at all the forums and pick out the ones that interest you the most then the vb4 layout doesn't help at all. It is cluttered right underneath the thread title, next to the username (and in my case, the thread start date). It is also hard to look at all the forum names quickly since they are all not aligned.

Leave a comment:

• Relivo
    replied
    Originally posted by nickp View Post
    Instead of listing the forum name underneath the thread, it should be back in its own column like it used!
    This new way is cluttering the thread title column and our members are complaining!
    I can agree with this, it helps navigating the page drastically. This should be implemented...

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    You are referring New Posts results.

There will always be members that dislike change until they get used to it. I like having the forum title directly under the thread title because I no longer have to look all the way to the other side of the display to see which forum a particular thread is located.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    You are referring New Posts results.

There will always be members that dislike change until they get used to it. I like having the forum title directly under the thread title because I no longer have to look all the way to the other side of the display to see which forum a particular thread is located.

Leave a comment:

• nickp
    started a topic [Forum] Bring back the forums column in thread display!

Bring back the forums column in thread display!

Instead of listing the forum name underneath the thread, it should be back in its own column like it used!
    This new way is cluttering the thread title column and our members are complaining!
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X