font-size:{vb:stylevar font.fontSize}px;
     color:{vb:stylevar body_color};
     line-height:{vb:stylevar line_height};
    }

Leave a comment:

• s0lidgr0und
    replied
    Weird. So it was the custom code.

I thought I saw that early in the thread...

Leave a comment:

• bhd
    replied
    Originally posted by jwbond View Post
    I have had no assistance on 2 separate threads from the vBulletin support team for days now.
    Sadly I must concur. I asked for support on the support ticket system a week ago and was told to post it as a bug instead which I promptly did. All I've received is a deathly silence.

I understand that staff are under the whip with the new release and all but as a paying customer, quite frankly, that's not my problem as my [paying] customers often reminding me. Not what one expects.

Leave a comment:

• jwbond
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
    As for the fixed width, both myself and another staff member have tried the fixes suggested in that thread within the last few mintues and successfully gotten a fixed width, centered forum. If this isn't working for you then something else is breaking that within your templates.

To troubleshoot that, temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.
    Good idea. I like the simple method for disabling plugins.

However, it didn't work. Something tells me this is once again a css issue. What is the name of the css class vBulletin uses for the forum width container? Perhaps I used the same in my css file.

Leave a comment:

• jwbond
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Why did you not do it the proper way and fill out a support ticket? The forums are NOT for official support.
    Simple. I don't visit these forums often and did not know of the new format. Perhaps they need to make it more clear!

Leave a comment:

• cbiweb
    replied
    @birdie: Read the whole thread. I made the same mistake of telling him the same thing. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by jwbond View Post
    I have had no assistance on 2 separate threads from the vBulletin support team for days now.
    Why did you not do it the proper way and fill out a support ticket? The forums are NOT for official support.

Leave a comment:

• cbiweb
    replied
    Cool, thanks for the explanation.

And if I could afford to hang out here and answer styling/customization questions most of the day, I would. I've had to ask questions myself, but I'm very quickly getting to know vB4, and making extensive notes along the way. Unfortunately I have to earn a living, which cuts down on my ability to post detailed mini-tutorials for people.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Originally posted by cbiweb View Post
    @Reeve: For some reason I didn't know that. But if that's the case then I guess they should step up with a more solid support presence in the forums.
    Forum Classic customers can submit tickets for the first 30 days after the first download of the software for the members area. Publishing Suite customers have ticket support for the life of the 4.x product.

The "lack" of forum support is a direct result of the number of queries coming in via the ticket and phone support routes - these are being hammered and have been since launch of vB4. Levels have dropped a bit and once the team get them down further, they'll be able to spend more time in the forums like they have done in the past.

Note that when it comes to the forums, problems such as database errors and similar are getting priority over styling and customisation issues.

Leave a comment:

• jwbond
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
    I did actually post in your second one - 3 times...

Looking at your site, I'me getting 2 javascript errors:

Code:
    Webpage error details
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
    Timestamp: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 19:34:09 UTC

Line: 91
    Char: 2
    Code: 0
    URI: [URL]http://www.jwsuretybonds.com/scripts/slideshow.js[/URL]

Line: 200
    Char: 45
    URI: [URL]http://forums.jwsuretybonds.com/[/URL]
    and

Code:
    Webpage error details
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
    Timestamp: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 19:37:39 UTC

Line: 91
    Char: 2
    URI: [URL]http://www.jwsuretybonds.com/scripts/slideshow.js[/URL]

Line: 200
    Char: 45
    URI: [URL]http://forums.jwsuretybonds.com/[/URL]
    Working through those will hopefully help with the dropdown issues.

As for the fixed width, both myself and another staff member have tried the fixes suggested in that thread within the last few mintues and successfully gotten a fixed width, centered forum. If this isn't working for you then something else is breaking that within your templates.

To troubleshoot that, temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.
    Good find!

The javascripts shouldn't have been in the template to begin with, as they are never used. Took them out, but the problem persisted.

I figured that one out though! Looks like it was a css confliction problem.

Leave a comment:

• TheLastSuperman
    replied
    @Reeve: For some reason I didn't know that. But if that's the case then I guess they should step up with a more solid support presence in the forums.
    I've seen them posting but... spend all day helping fix errors on sites individually OR read about them and fix it for the next version? That seems much quicker and a more constructive use of time imo. I say they are doing the latter especially with 4.0.1 possibly coming later today and the next version sometime around the 22nd.

All I know is some members are terribly impatient, I know where your coming from but to those who have customized and had problems... you decided to customize so you must be ready to implement changes, revert back to default OR find a work around yourself.

Sorry some are having problems, I have seen a few good replies on vbulletin.org too some are giving out helpful info there too so check it out.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• cbiweb
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    THE vBULLETIN FORUMS ARE NOT THE VENUE FOR OFFICIAL SUPPORT!!
    Actually, as of 4.0, the forums are the only official support venue for forum only customers. Therefore, forum suppport is now official.

Leave a comment:

• TheAquanox
    replied
    I have to agree. I had to solve my questions myself, resulted to be easy to solve but took a long time to find out how.

I still have one problem remaining. I just don't know how to show images as thumbnails, I have thumbnails enabled, if I copy the url to the full sized attachment and add "&thumbnail=1" in the browser it does show a thumbnail so it means that it's being generated but for some reason it doesn't show it.

Currently I have to set each picture one by one, edit it and click on show as thumnail. As a result it shows the FULL gigantic image but in the size of a thumbnail.

Please assist me here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...87#post1901587

I have an unanswered topic here too, about sidebars:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...iple-questions

Thank you.
    Last edited by TheAquanox; Mon 11 Jan '10, 11:17am.

Leave a comment:

• c.c.
    replied
    I'm going to have to disagree. Support for us has been really fantastic and trust me, we've run into tons of issues. I think the VB Team has been great especially since they are getting pounded with thousands of questions.

Christian
    highdefjunkies.com

Leave a comment: