No announcement yet.

Does 4.0 run slower than 3.8.4 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Does 4.0 run slower than 3.8.4 ?

I have two forums up and running now.

One is the 3.8.4 with mods, the other is the pretty much Plain Jane 4.0

I prefer the 3.8.4 for functionality, but another thing I cannot understand is:

both are running on the same hosting company, same plan, and my host states that there are no server issues AND YET 4.0 seems to run a lot slower than 3.8.4

Anyone else notice this?

The stock vB4 has shadows and rounded corners which require more time to render. So loading and scrolling pages takes longer. However it's really easy to remove the shadows and rounded corners and you will see vB4 is just as fast if not faster.

Comment

Maybe but vb4 also seems to take longer to open links (forums, threads), etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MDawg View Post
        Maybe but vb4 also seems to take longer to open links (forums, threads), etc.

Same thing happened to us when we first installed 4.0. It was so damn slow we were freaking out. But, in Admin Cp, go to

Options
        Settings
        Cookies and HTTP Header options
        GZIP HTML Output (should be set to yes)
        GZIP Compression Level (should be 1)

Now are site is lighting fast. Thanks to Lynne with Vbulletin for helping us out.

Christian
        highdefjunkies.com

Comment

Same problem to me.vb 4 is slow than 3.8.4
          www.hostsaller.com Hosting Service
          www.forum4phone.com Gsm Community
          http://kholamon.com Bangla Blog

Comment

Originally posted by c.c. View Post
            Same thing happened to us when we first installed 4.0. It was so damn slow we were freaking out. But, in Admin Cp, go to

Options
            Settings
            Cookies and HTTP Header options
            GZIP HTML Output (should be set to yes)
            GZIP Compression Level (should be 1)

Now are site is lighting fast. Thanks to Lynne with Vbulletin for helping us out.

Christian
            highdefjunkies.com
            Anybody who already has mod_gzip running, if you do this, your site will slow even more. Double-compression is not quicker than single, or even no compression.
            My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

It certainly can't be a coincidence that everything is slower since the install.
              s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

my website became much slower
                hopefully developers will improve things, because so far vb3 was much kinder to me and my users

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure mine did slow down with 4.0 , not to a crawl but definitely a slight slowdown. This would probably be more noticeable with a shared hosting environment.

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=229608 this helps a lot
                    Just a little admin MMOBrowser Forum
                    also i love translating :) just guide me

Comment

Originally posted by Antes View Post
                      I think this should be addressed by VB developers and they should consider making the script running fast as VB3. My users noticed that some other forums still running VB3 are running much quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by milaszewski View Post
                        I think this should be addressed by VB developers and they should consider making the script running fast as VB3. My users noticed that some other forums still running VB3 are running much quicker.
                        Since the issue has been raised, our members feel our vB 4 forums are noticeably faster. No speed-up mods, no changes in most of the settings from the 3.8.x forum.

That's what counts.

Peace,
                        Gene

Comment

Definitely not slower for us with the suite...surprisingly.

My users are actually liking it. However, they are a very upset with the missing features and hope for more attention to end user personalization.
                          Archive: 1 ~ 2 ETC in the feedback forums that were closed.

Comment

Originally posted by CallieJo View Post
                            Definitely not slower for us with the suite...surprisingly.

My users are actually liking it. However, they are a very upset with the missing features and hope for more attention to end user personalization.
                            Most of the missing features we fret over are the ones provided by third-party products. But with some working around, we only miss one or two now.

Peace,
                            Gene

Comment

Originally posted by Antes View Post
                              Man, I'll be honest, after losing a ton of customization from 3.8 , I'm gonna be skipping any mods that mess with anything other than styling or very simple things.

I got burned pretty bad on the upgrade to 4.0, not necessarily a fault of vbulletin, but you can't expect great support from vbulletin.org, and there's a few patches coming soon so it seems a little pointless to bother with mods.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X