Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Database Backup/restore option in admincp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] No Database Backup/restore option in admincp?

I had been running 3.8 on my old server and since I'm moving the site to a brandie-new server I decided to upgrade to 4.0.

I just did a fresh load of vbulletin on the server and I notice there is no database backup/restore option listed in the maintenance area of the admin control panel. Is this option not available on 4? I was hoping to start with a fresh forum load and just import the user fields and messages.

So this is kind of a complicated question.... can I simply import the saved database from my old server that was running v3.8 through the forum's admin control panel?

And if not: I can always SSH or phpmyadmin into both the old and the new databases so I can import the tables needed. Is there a list of typical tables which would store data regarding my old forum's users, posts, etc? Or should I just import everything that has the same table name in the 4.0 forum database?

My nwe forum is brand new, no posts, only one user (me) My old forum has about 1500 users and several thousand posts as well.

Thanks for any info.

Never mind. I found this post that says that vb removed the function:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...atabase+backup

From an admin standpoint I think this was a poor decision. I rarely had issues with the backup function and really liked the option. I'm hoping that the designers allow it back in but perhaps with a disclaimer for the larger forum databases.

I'm now erasing my new 4.0 install and attempting to xfer over my old 3,x forum as this appears to be the only way to save my posts and user accounts. Oh well.....
    Last edited by Simtech; Mon 4th Jan '10, 11:45am.

Comment

It's never been possible to restore a database through AdminCP as far as I remember. 3.x certainly didn't have that facility.

As far as only importing just the user and post tables, this will not work due to dependencies on other tables. You could always look at using Impex to transfer what you need prior to upgrading.
      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
      -
      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
      - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
      - "Quick Route" Interface...
      - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X