Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bae
    replied
    Thanks for the tip!!!! I couldn't see mine either til you mentioned it.

Originally posted by HuntAmerica.com View Post
    I had to go to includes/config.php and enter my user ID to make myself a superadministrator... now i can see the advertising section... starting to make sense now...

on the open x ... I assume that I use the free download... http://www.openx.org/ad-server/download

Leave a comment:

• HuntAmerica.com
    replied
    Originally posted by maximutt View Post
    If you can't see the Advertising tab in your AdminCP, check your Administrator Permissions under Usergroups and make sure "Can Administer Ads" is turned on.

Another vote for OpenX, it's fast, free and simple to use.
    I had to go to includes/config.php and enter my user ID to make myself a superadministrator... now i can see the advertising section... starting to make sense now...

on the open x ... I assume that I use the free download... http://www.openx.org/ad-server/download

Leave a comment:

• ThorstenA
    replied
    Here is my modification for 3.8. Google Admanager Integration (product) with further notices. Please feel free to port this modification under your name to vb 4.0. Thanks!

The Google Admanager works great for me. Very great is the opportunity for "Inventory Forecasting", to see how much Page Impressions are free for a given time period and targeting criterias. Imagine Porsche is calling you "We want to advertise on your page, how much page impressions do you have from calendar week 34-39 in your porsche forum from female users?". Within two minutes of Inventory Forecasting you can answer that question

Leave a comment:

• waynem
    replied
    Thanks for the information - and again, the beauty of the vB implementation is we can easily change to a different ad provider, or even use both to compare real time, just by putting the code into ad manager.

Leave a comment:

• ThorstenA
    replied
    The place to discuss third party addons is not only vb.org, but it is also here on vb.com as it is part of the licence agreement and vb.org is not supported.

I wrote the vb 3.8 product for "Google Admanager Integration". Google Admanager surpasses openx in almost all areas. With my product, you can target ads this way (example):
    • "registered female users from New York City
    • from 3 pm to 5 pm
    • who are not browsing with firefox
    • and are having a fast internet connection
    • a user should only see the ad twice"
    • show the ads only in the porsche and the bmw forum

Once 4.0.1 comes out, I am updating the product to vb 4 (but maybe not the whole product, only the parts I need). If anyone likes to update the product, feel free and use all of my code. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• M@tt
    replied
    Has anyone used Google Ad Manager? I've only just started looking at it.

Leave a comment:

• Aneurysm
    replied
    Originally posted by waynem View Post
    I'm using OpenX which after a bit of a learning curve works great.
    I used OpenX for a while an I would agree the learning curve was a little tough. I have been testing with Google AdManager and will use that when I finally pull the trigger and migrate to vb 4.x. It is in beta but seem to works well, you can check it out at http://www.google.com/admanager

Leave a comment:

• maximutt
    replied
    If you can't see the Advertising tab in your AdminCP, check your Administrator Permissions under Usergroups and make sure "Can Administer Ads" is turned on.

Another vote for OpenX, it's fast, free and simple to use.

Leave a comment:

• waynem
    replied
    Dude, did you read the rest of the article on that link?
    the OpenX ad server is really an integration of two very useful tools — a banner delivery engine, that allows you to easily put tags into your website to deliver banners, and track that delivery; and also a banner management system, that allows you to setup overall banner campaign targets. The OpenX ad server will then deliver banners as it sees best to try and meet those campaign targets.

Of course, this doesn’t mean that you don’t have any control over your banners, and how they are delivered. Indeed, OpenX provides you with far greater control than a simple banner rotator can ever give you.
    I am not a developer, I am not a coder, yet I have banners rotating on my website using OpenX. It requires some patience and a little reading, and to follow some instructions, and it works great.

I am very pleased with how vBulletin integrates with this. If I get tired of OpenX, I can change to another program just by replacing the code. You are not limited or tied down to one software set. There is flexibility and simplicity to this design.

Getting the banners operational is very simple. Setting up banners on another program depends on what program you choose to go with. There is no support lacking here by vBulletin. All you need to do is insert the code. Heck of a lot more than I got with my last forum package, let me tell you. I had to insert the code into my header or footer and monkey around with the html. With vBulletin its very simple.

Leave a comment:

• HuntAmerica.com
    replied
    Originally posted by vivamexico55 View Post
    Anyone know if banner rotation is planned for vbulletin ?
    Viva.... there is a script that i used to use when i used ubbthreads its at the top of this thead webadverts....

Volg.... is there a problem with security in running cgi scripts the program used to work well for me...

Lynne... across the top of my control panel it says "admin control panel VBulletin 4.0.0 patch level 1" this is not a custom control panel and there is not an advertising section listed. I did not spend the extra $175 or whatever it costs to upgrade to the suite version .... (Thank God)

To those recommending open x: I looked at open x... according to the company it is NOT a banner rotator... http://www.openxtips.com/2009/04/tip...anner-rotator/

It would be so nice to actually get some assistance on getting a banner rotation program operational on my forums... I hope others have more success in getting help from these SUPPORT FORUMS than I have on this issue...

I do hope that the VB team can get its act together and make this more user friendly for common people who are not coders, developers etc...
    Last edited by HuntAmerica.com; Mon 11 Jan '10, 5:06pm.

Leave a comment:

• vivamexico55
    replied
    Anyone know if banner rotation is planned for vbulletin ?

Leave a comment:

• voglermc
    replied
    I used webadverts a very long time ago. It's a cgi script smd uses a text file as its database. It was programmed many, many years ago and is not updated anymore. I wouldn't install it ever again.

Leave a comment:

• HuntAmerica.com
    replied
    Originally posted by Lynne View Post
    Are you using a custom admin style? Change to one of the standard ones. And make sure that admincp/index.php is the latest version.
    Lynne, I just reinstalled admincp/index.php from the vb 4.0.0 patch level 1 folder and my control panel still shows no advertising section. I did not buy the "suite upgrade" perhaps that is the issue?

I can give you access to my control panel if you would like just let me know

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    Are you using a custom admin style? Change to one of the standard ones. And make sure that admincp/index.php is the latest version.

Leave a comment:

• HuntAmerica.com
    replied
    Waynem, I am running VB 4.0.0 patch level 1.... this is what I see in my control panel: above "Styles and Templates" there is "Settings"... there is no advertising manager so apparently there is a difference in our control panel.. how can that be ?

Originally posted by waynem View Post
    Mine is right above "Styles and Templates" on the left. You don't need to modify any templates if you are ok with where the advertising manager can put your banners.

Leave a comment: