No announcement yet.

People in My Forums are Responding....... to the Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't dare go live with mine yet. I myself can't even figure out how to stay logged in for more then a few minutes at a time. I'm disappointed that they released it will all the issues everyone has. I admit I do like it and it's what I need and in time I'm sure it will be fine.

Comment

I've had mostly negative responses, but that's from a handful of users. Most have said nothing which I consider neutral to positive. I do have a **** list a mile long with bugs I've found and they've found though...

my users are most upset with the "what's new" issue as well as not being logged in. The IE6 issue is a biggy for a few guys as well.

Comment

Meh I've instructed all my users to upgrade, NO ONE should be using IE6...If Vbulletin Solutions spent time trying to Dbug for IE6 4 would go nowhere because they would be debugging for a 9 year old browser...

Comment

Originally posted by MXjunk127 View Post
          Meh I've instructed all my users to upgrade, NO ONE should be using IE6...If Vbulletin Solutions spent time trying to Dbug for IE6 4 would go nowhere because they would be debugging for a 9 year old browser...
          150.000 users have visited my site in 2009 with IE6 and although i do understand that the numbers will be less this year, i am not willing to lose that kind of traffic. Would you?

Comment

Of course not, but I would rather offer my non IE 6 users a better UX, especially knowing that the number of IE6 users will dramatically decrease durning the next few years.

Comment

Do we have a "head banging against the wall" smiley with the new version of vB? Once again, yes... individual users should be encouraged to upgrade their browser to anything other than IE6, but hundreds of thousands if not millions of corporate users are stuck using IE6 since it is used as a wrapper around their corporate intranets. How many times does this have to be pointed out, and in how many threads? As long as IE6 is a supported browser by Microsoft, which it will be until EOL for XP, then the pressure for corporations to redesign their backends is minimal. Face it. You're going to have a lot of users that are going to use IE6 whether they want to upgrade or not. They have no choice or decision on the issue. They can, however, choose to not use your site if you don't support the only browser they can use.
              Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigwater View Post
                How many times does this have to be pointed out, and in how many threads?
                Hopeless.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

I understand that, infact, last month 7.83% of my traffic was from IE6. Although I was laid off a while ago, we used IE6 at work, and a lot of my mod staff use IE6 at work...

If they choose to go to another site, let em, however the other 92.17% have a much better experience with my website. Not to mention my site is future proof for a lot longer than it would be if VB4 was completely backwards compatible.

Now, I will definitely feel the 7.83% lost in ad rev, if they choose not to use the site anymore, however I am charging my advertisers more now that the site got a revamp...

I am curious to see what the conversion rate is via google analytics over the next few months.

Comment

Its vBS's job to create a default skin that will work on the majority of browsers. Since IE6 is used more than Safari and more than Chrome, they need to support it regardless of the hobby admins that insist it isn't important. This isn't rocket science, vBS have acknowledged this, seemplz. If you guys really wanted to stop the use of IE6 you would all have already had hard redirects to Microsofts upgrade page for anyone using IE6. No one is asking for features to be taken away - simply saying we 'demand' that these beta like amateur issues are resolved in a product that is supposed to be stable.

If you then choose to not cater to IE6 users, thats your choice, just don't force the rest of us to.

mmmmkay
                    My Twitterings

Comment

I've been ATTEMPTING to style my site without having to do too much custom CSS work. Due to so many missing stylevars or broken stylevars, I'm waiting until this next release to figure out if it's worth it to upgrade or not yet. Many of the mods I use have been converted or I've converted myself so that's not TOO much of a problem now. I just don't think the current version is worthy of putting into production.

Comment

Originally posted by JonUrban View Post
                        My members complained that the look was hard on the eyes. I changed the bright white backgrounds to a light gray, which helped. I also changed the white borders and some of the other bright things to darker colors.
                        I made a few subtle shade changes as well to prevent burning out my users retina's. You could try adding a slight shade of green to your forumrow background? Have a look at my site http://www.bblogic.com I have done just that but using a shade of blue and it seems to go well with my colour scheme.
                        sigpic
                        - Computer Hardware & Software Tech Support Forum - & Maternal Online | Pregnancy & Parenting Portal

Comment

Our members have been universaly silent, apart from 1 who just remarked she "didn't like change". Our users are primarily 50 years+ so to have no real negative reaction was surprising. I think it was probably because we worked so hard over the holiday to get the look and feel of the site as close to the original as possible. We have some constant logging in and out problems that are affecting three users quite badly and it seems the only advice is the "remember me" box and to make sure cookie path is default. Like others, we had the IE6 problem but thankfully, all affected users were able to upgrade to IE8, i'd have prefered firefox but people get set in their ways.

Other than the above, I'm amazed at how well this software runs for such a new release.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by kat00 View Post
                            My attitude is simple, I do it the way I like and I aim to please the majority but if you don't like it.........go else where, start your forum, off you go.
                            Well said! Like I said, especially if your content is better than other forums you shouldn't have any problems. And that's what anyones forum (or any website) should be strong in.

As for the IE6 issue and "corporate" users, get back to work and stop looking at forums.

Comment

Mixed. Initial complaints were about styling - so I installed three more styles and gave them the choice. There were a couple of complaints about the size of the default text in the reply text boxes (it is far too small), so I changed that... kept them happy.

The only complaints that I haven't been able to largely resolve are the technical ones with people being logged out continually. This is an ongoing problem that still hasn't been addressed:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ng!!&highlight
                              http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ems-logging-in
                              http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...Login-Sessions
                              http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ber-me-checked
                              http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ing-logged-out
                              http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ging-In-Errors
                              http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...gin-every-time
                              If you care about what's in your food and where it comes from, then get it labelled!
                              Label My Food - http://www.labelmyfood.org.uk

Comment

How do yo change that? I changed the text after posting, but the text as you are replying is tiny. I also have problems with people being logged out continually.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X