Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out of Curiosity - How are you using Categories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CMS] Out of Curiosity - How are you using Categories?

Since my site navigation is fairly small I have turned off the use of Categories as I do not see any real value to them at this time. Perhaps I do not have a good enough grasp on how they help users navigate? They seem redundant to me especially if you have several sections that include sub-sections.

I would be very itnerested in seeing how others use Sections versus Categories. If you use both and feel that they are beneficial, please let me know the URL so I can get some ideas.

Thanks!

Well, I do this:

Section -> United States Coins -> Nickels

Then the categories are: Shield, Liberty, Jefferson, Indian.

I'd like to use it more, but it seems messed up, everything keeps going into sub-categories.....
    Coin Collecting Forums
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 Wiki (In the Works)

Comment

DHewes,
      I find the categories to be very helpful for my members to find relevant content. I have an auto-enthusiast site and many of the articles contain more than one important subject; I take those subjects and define them as "categories". For instance if an article contains information about Mustangs, Thunderbirds, and Lincolns, then the article is categorized under those 3 words. Then if a visitor wants to see an article that contains information about a Mustang, they have the ability to click on that article. A different visitor may not care about Mustangs but only want to see an article if it talks about Lincolns.... you can see the flexibility. test-drive at http://forum.love-fords.org

BTW I have had no problems keeping the categories working properly.
      John
      You can pay more...but you can't buy better than the Ford.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X