X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ace
    replied
    Originally posted by chloe View Post
    So... iow, that which you cannot comprehend is of no concern to you? Alleluia. The mind simply boggles.
    Pretty much.

I can't understand how it is that some people aren't able to read. That's of no concern to me either.

PamelaE's comment was totally valid. I would make the same comment myself.

eg: People complaining at the lack of stylevars should be happy with what they have. If they are incapable of searching .css templates, they shouldn't be venturing out of the box they've been provided.

Leave a comment:

• chloe
    replied
    So... iow, that which you cannot comprehend is of no concern to you? Alleluia. The mind simply boggles.
    Last edited by chloe; Sat 2 Jan '10, 7:29pm.

Leave a comment:

• PamelaE
    replied
    I was not making a gloating post but some of the 'compaints' sound ridiculous. Someone posted that it had 'destroyed' their forum and I have seen endless issues posted that their styles and plug-ins don't work. These people are not taking responsibility for the fact they didn't bother to explore the difference between 3.8 and 4.0.

I can understand the lack of style variables being an issue and I have had to edit the css directly.

I have personally not come across any critical bugs that would stop business as usual, so it that regard I can't really comprehend those moaning its ruined their forum.

Leave a comment:

• S1OPP
    replied
    Why did they rush?

Because many many people had pre-paid for it and IB had comitted to deliver it.

Leave a comment:

• 1000RR
    replied
    Xbox 360 Fail with ring of death same thing with vb 4.0 why did they rush a product that not ready ?

Leave a comment:

• setishock
    replied
    Yeah but you have to consider sometimes with a question or complaint, that you're not getting the whole picture. Some times people leave out critical information resulting in the help offered not being correct or beneficial. When having a problem it's nessacery to have all the facts on hand and pass them on to those they are asking for help.
    For some of us that take our time to push the buttons and pull the levers just to see what they do, we seem to have less trouble with our layouts.
    Now granted if and when I need to mod a template or CSS sheet I'll be in here just like the rest.
    At that time I'll take my crow with some A-1 sauce...

Leave a comment:

• S1OPP
    replied
    Phew, glad about that.

I think, (because I remember reading it on here somewhere) that there will be a lot more stylevars available in the next release, which will help as it will mean less CSS editing, but what will help even more if the vB team update the Visual Dictionary PDF at the same time. Firebug is a great tool, but understanding the code it highlights is a big ask for somebody that just wants to change a font colour. Not everybody enjoys the challenge.

Another big win would be for them to get a decent set of FAQs published here, because there are a lot of very frequently asked questions.

Leave a comment:

• chloe
    replied
    Originally posted by S1OPP View Post
    You're right. Although, I wouldn't claim I've actually 'gloated'

On the other hand, it takes no effort at all to rant all day long that threads aren't getting answered quickly enough or that the software is rubbish.
    I'm just glad I'm not expected to work on new year's day!!

Swings and roundabouts I suppose.
    Actually lol, you weren't in my gloating category. You were actally very helpful.

I think if VB could make quick improvement addressing the stylevars issues, we'd have 1/5th of the complaints and be dealing with more important problems like why I click on my profile page and ask for all posts by Chloe, the system pretends there were no posts after mine.
    Last edited by chloe; Sat 2 Jan '10, 6:28pm.

Leave a comment:

• S1OPP
    replied
    You're right. Although, I wouldn't claim I've actually 'gloated'

On the other hand, it takes no effort at all to rant all day long that threads aren't getting answered quickly enough or that the software is rubbish.
    I'm just glad I'm not expected to work on new year's day!!

Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• chloe
    replied
    Originally posted by wbtd View Post
    I know it, right?

Geesh.

let's just pat them on the backs and be done with it.
    I'd really like to have a peek at the set-ups of the people patting themselves on the back like this. I've been using VB for years and have my test site looking presentable but it's nowhere near what I want it to look like. It takes serious chutzpah to OVERLOOK all the valid unsanswered threads here and come gloat like that.

Leave a comment:

• wbtd
    replied
    Originally posted by chloe View Post
    Really? That's what you're getting out of all the questions on the forum? That "MANY people can't seem to read and have stupidly rolled it out expecting all their plug-ins to work"? Wow. Unbelievable.
    I know it, right?

Geesh.

let's just pat them on the backs and be done with it.

Leave a comment:

• wbtd
    replied
    Originally posted by PamelaE View Post

I think the main issue with all the complaints is the fact it has changed so much, its like a completely new product. People don't like change.
    Umm, no.

I have listed the complaints and issues I have and they have nothing to do with not liking change.

It's peachy keen that it worked so great for you. I am not getting the same wonderful results.
    Nor are many others.

Like I said- I am willing to struggle through- but the insinuation that it is simply a matter of not liking change is condescending and untruthful.

I like things to work the way they are supposed to. Especially since I've paid so much for it.

Leave a comment:

• chloe
    replied
    Originally posted by PamelaE View Post
    Brillent. Thats exactly my thoughts on this. I am actually enjoying working everything out, I feel like I am actually learning something with the skinning of my forum instead of being a dumbass and filling out a couple of colors on a page. It has been frustrating at times but I love the flexibility of it.

I have used firebug to work out most of the issues I have encountered. The second skin I created I threw together in a couple of hours. The only issue I have is remembering the different variables. Would be great to have an extensive list.

I think the main issue with all the complaints is the fact it has changed so much, its like a completely new product. People don't like change.
    Really? That's what you're getting out of all the questions on the forum? That "MANY people can't seem to read and have stupidly rolled it out expecting all their plug-ins to work"? Wow. Unbelievable. That took chutzpah.

Leave a comment:

• wbtd
    replied
    I am not a programmer or someone who likes to diddle with this stuff. I have to have a more Technical member take care of this stuff for me.
    I want to buy something that works right out of the box and be at least as good as the previous version.

I don't think that is unreasonable.

Look at this forum and the quantity of bugs and features that aren't working as expected. It's not isolated to us dummies who just can't figure this brilliant software out.

It's a mess. Plain and simple.

I will struggle through (with little support from here as I am quickly seeing). But it has left a terrible taste in my mouth and I will not be so quick to recommend vbulletin to others.

Leave a comment:

• chloe
    replied
    Originally posted by S1OPP View Post
    All I did to create the test site was take a backup of the DB, the restire it to the test site.
    FTP the files down from the live site and FTP everything up to the test site.
    Update config.php and the change a few options in AdminCP.
    From that point you have a exact copy to work with. (just make sure it's not open to public access)

My old vB3 site did have quite a lot of style modifications, so many that each upgrade (and there have been a few over the past 4 years) that needed templates reverting broke the skin anyway.
    I took the oportunity with the vB4 upgrade to remove a lot of the 'add ons' that were never used or not really needed and drop back to a simpler style. The ones that I needed to keep, I ported myself.

I do remember the 'good old days' when the stock response from vB.com, if you were having problems and had a modified style, was that they don't support modified code. Even a simple template change. At least they do seem to be more open to mods, and are providing a much better platform to do it with.

You're quite right, the majority of issues seem to revolve around styling, if you think about that from IB's perspective, trying to release a product that was an upgrade from v3, when people had spent years developing skins was always going to be a massive task.

If you checked out this forum, on the day the RC was being release, everybody was going crazy, comparing timezones and shooting IB down because they said Monday an it was already Tuesday in New Zealand - Now the forums are flooded with people that are claiming it's FAIL because they released it too soon. IB can't win in position they have put themselves in.

Perhaps, I am lucky, lucky that my users have seen the upgrade to vB4 as a refreshing change, they are certainly enjoying the new features, and lucky that they haven't compared the 'stock' skin to any other vB4 forums (because there aren't that many yet)
    Thanks a million. Wish me luck now!

Leave a comment: