Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.0 upgrade - DON'T DO IT if you have any Mods - and probably, don't do it period!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
    This thread is epic fail.

The original poster should have made backups before installing 4.0 and been prepared to roll back to 3.8 in case 4.0 didn't work out.
    I agree 100%, and actually this thread should have been closed or removed ages ago. Why should everyone get upset just because the thread starter totally ignored the many warnings about doing backup and disabling any mods before upgrading? This whole thread should be removed because it causes too much unnecessary anxiety about the great product that vBulletin 4.0 really is.

Comment

• To Add, I'm starting to think the majority of a lot of issues are caused from people not reading the install requirements, or knowing how to upgrade old boards full of tweaks and/or having their old boards hosted on dated OS apps that produce errors, and/or hosted with lame virtual servers and or etc etc etc.... I'm running out of time to keep listing it all.

We also have to keep in mind, I'm coming in on vB4 as an already experienced CMS user so the majority makes sense to me before I even started testing and migrating.
      A lot of the vB 3 users are new at this all. Including knowing that a good server is essential to running a CMS, well.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by audiokid; Sun 10 Jan '10, 12:44pm. Reason: re phased last sentence
      Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
      created for musicians, by musicians

Comment

• Originally posted by audiokid View Post
        To Add, I'm starting to think the majority of a lot of issues are caused from people not reading the install requirements, or knowing how to upgrade old boards full of tweaks and/or having their old boards hosted on dated OS apps that produce errors, and/or hosted with lame virtual servers and or etc etc etc.... I'm running out of time to keep listing it all.

We also have to keep in mind, I'm coming in on vB4 as an already experienced CMS user so the majority makes sense to me before I even started testing and migrating.
        All vB 3 users are new at it all. Including knowing that a good server is essential to running a CMS well.

Hope this helps.
        I didn't read a thing. I knew enough to make backups and work on a test site.
        Doesn't matter what CMS experience you have. All of the CMSes I've used all work differently, vBCMS is no exception.
        And keeping in mind that vBCMS is still in it's infancy, CMS experience may be a hindrance because I am looking for features that don't exist.
        Yet.
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• Originally posted by Garamond View Post
          I agree 100%, and actually this thread should have been closed or removed ages ago. Why should everyone get upset just because the thread starter totally ignored the many warnings about doing backup and disabling any mods before upgrading? This whole thread should be removed because it causes too much unnecessary anxiety about the great product that vBulletin 4.0 really is.
          LOL at quoting me out of context and then saying "the great product that vBuleltin 4 really is". You joined in July 2004, but you have less than 250 posts? How is that even possible?

Just FYI: vB4 is a trainwreck.

Comment

• A trainwreck... really? I mean... really? A little dramatic don't ya think?

Comment

• I have had a few niggles with VB4, but it's really not been as bad as some seem to make out, we used a test board initially and it went very smooth coming from 3.8.4 no major issues in upgrading, we did not have a heavily modded board which probably makes it easier, yes I think the whole style var thing should be a lot more user friendly (telling us to use firebug is not user friendly) and there should be better documentation, but our forum upgrade was very smooth and our members are loving VB4 in general, sure there is some bugs and the CMS is not working perfectly but the idea's are there and I am sure it will become a great CMS to work with and serve our site

Comment

• Originally posted by Jafo View Post
                A trainwreck... really? I mean... really? A little dramatic don't ya think?
                No, I really don't. vBulletin.com was down for an unprecedented 28 hours. The site was largely inaccessible for the next 3-4 days due to massive performance issues.

The pricing structure is epic fail. And vBulletin 4 just as a product is woefully underdocumented, a confused tangled web of StyleVars and CSS, the CMS is half-baked and a performance liability, and there is no product roadmap after 6 months of promises. And the project manager (Ray Morgan) literally quit and moved to the tropics.

In what way would you say this does NOT qualify as a train wreck?

Comment

• It's like a really nice car missing a wheel.

And I didn't notice many performance issues with vb.com, certainly not for 28 straight hours.
                  s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                    No, I really don't. vBulletin.com was down for an unprecedented 28 hours. The site was largely inaccessible for the next 3-4 days due to massive performance issues.

The pricing structure is epic fail. And vBulletin 4 just as a product is woefully underdocumented, a confused tangled web of StyleVars and CSS, the CMS is half-baked and a performance liability, and there is no product roadmap after 6 months of promises. And the project manager (Ray Morgan) literally quit and moved to the tropics.

In what way would you say this does NOT qualify as a train wreck?
                    100% agree, but I hope it gets better
                    Originally posted by s0lidgr0und View Post
                    It's like a really nice car missing a wheel.

And I didn't notice many performance issues with vb.com, certainly not for 28 straight hours.
                    not sure where you were at when vb.com upgraded to 4.0 but it was obviously slow and there are sever threads to back it up, even with replies from staff
                    -- Web Developer for hire
                    ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• *shrugs*

Ok. I didn't experience it, that's all I said.
                      s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by MDawg View Post
                        I was running 3.8.4 on two forums.

One of the forums gets a LOT of traffic, the other not so much yet.

I decided to try the 4.0 upgrade on the lesser traveled forum (fortunately). My forum immediately went kaput - couldn't even access the forum front page or Admin control panel. This was on December 24th.

Eventually vbulletin tech support suggested that I edit my vBulletin config.php file currently on the server by adding the following line after the <?php line:

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

to disable all mods.

Forum is still dead. No matter which forum I click on, I get the error: Invalid Forum specified. The blog is completely dead too - evidently vbulletin never thought to provide a free blog update for those of us who paid for both forum and blog.

Anyway, my forum has been dead for four days now. In my tech support thread, someone appears to have promised to revert my forum to 3.8.4, but nothing has been done yet. Still waiting.
                        Perhaps you should have taken the advise that was offered before upgrading. They said uninstall all mods, you did not listen and what you got was your own fault. I don't feel at all sorry for you.

Comment

• upgraded frmo 3.8.4 pl2 to 4.0.1 yesterday. uninstalled all the plugins except the ones that have vb4 versions, disabled them and after upgrade installed vb4 versions (some succesfully replaced the old one but some added as new plugin, but no biggy).

I am still working on minor cosmetics but I AM VERY HAPPY WITH VB4.

Comment

• Originally posted by woffie View Post
                            Perhaps you should have taken the advise that was offered before upgrading. They said uninstall all mods, you did not listen and what you got was your own fault. I don't feel at all sorry for you.
                            I'm pretty sure they didn't say that. There wasn't even a manual. The upgrade script never warned about mods having to be disabled. Oh, there was a blog post or something, hidden somewhere in the vbulletin site? Grrrrreeeeat.

The only reason I disabled mods when I upgraded was because it was posted by a user in a subforum in the vbulletin website that it would be a good idea, but it would've been easy to miss. How is it his fault if he didn't disable mods? Is a user-friendly app too much to ask for? "Check if mods are disabled, then ask the user if he REALLY wants to proceed at his own risk".

I honestly can't believe other admins are jumping on the guy for that. It wasn't his fault, although he could've avoided it. Lack of backups, well, maybe that was his fault, but everyone has failed to make backups of something at one point, that's how most people learn.

edit: What bothers me is that berating the guy for a newbie mistake,as if he deserved it, is horrible and I expected a little better from this community. Maybe from some open source software forums, but here? I'll keep that in mind next time someone posts a question and I have the answer. Be nasty to them is the preferred response, not being helpful and respectful.
                            Last edited by vivamexico55; Wed 20 Jan '10, 11:36am.

Comment

• Originally posted by vivamexico55 View Post
                              What bothers me is that berating the guy for a newbie mistake,as if he deserved it, is horrible and I expected a little better from this community. Maybe from some open source software forums, but here? I'll keep that in mind next time someone posts a question and I have the answer. Be nasty to them is the preferred response, not being helpful and respectful.
                              Agreed.

Also, the original poster probably more than got the point that they should have made the darned backups after the first couple or three pages of replies. Now, this thread has just turned into something rather meanspirited and repetitive - it's a disgrace and should be locked. Herd mentality is never pretty.
                              Last edited by Suze; Wed 20 Jan '10, 9:41pm.

Comment

• well, i suppose its possible he views this forum as a resource rather than a community. (thats the rolleye graemlin hey)
                                Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                                LOL at quoting me out of context and then saying "the great product that vBuleltin 4 really is". You joined in July 2004, but you have less than 250 posts? How is that even possible?

Just FYI: vB4 is a trainwreck.
                                Into the Void

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X