Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.0 upgrade - DON'T DO IT if you have any Mods - and probably, don't do it period!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been testing the upgrades since beta 1. Only to discover, I had to uninstall all mods delete the mod tables in the database and remove the xml files related to those mods. Only then did I have a successful upgrade.

Before the live upgrade, I'll wait as long as I can to get updated mods, particularly the vba-dynamics, which I count on for file transfers. I'm screwed if I loose that.

vB4 is a complex upgrade, but well worth it, the features are fantastic. If you have a complex site, it's going to take time and lot's of questions need to be answered, glad there is good support from fellow vB4 users

Comment

Originally posted by molieman View Post
      vB4 is a complex upgrade, but well worth it, the features are fantastic. If you have a complex site, it's going to take time and lot's of questions need to be answered, glad there is good support from fellow vB4 users
      What features
      I need a drink...

Comment

I have no idea why people are saying you have to uninstall mods and their tables, thats simply not true in 99% of cases. The only time you would need to touch existing modification tables is in the very rare case a mod has used a table name thats also been added in vb4 - I dont know of any such cases. Simply disable them, thats all thats needed.

Its also unnecessary to add Disable_Hooks to your config file if you currently have a fully working forum, and are not installing the Suite - you can simply disable the plugin system in your ACP - vBulletin Options > Plugin/Hook System > Enable = No You should not do it this way if you are installing the suite, as the CMS and Blogs are products, and will (I think) re-enable the plugin system when you install them (not actually tested this, so they may not).
        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

I didn't have any significant mods. I uninstalled the question/answer verification since the newer versions of VB have that built-in, and also uninstalled the front page announcement mod since I can sort of do that within VB also. If an update to the front page mod comes out I'll install it, or (doG forbid) a manual ever comes out I might be able to get away from mods altogether.

Anyway, my point is that the upgrade went smoothly for me. I backed up the 3.8.4 database and files, uploaded new files, wore out a mouse on the upgrade script and I was done. I knew that the styles would not work because I actually did some reading beforehand.

Speaking of the script, I really have to wonder why it needs to step through all of the alpha, beta and RC releases in the course of going from one production version to the next.
          My VB forum: BMWRA

Comment

No offense to anyone and this is just my .02, but I had more than 10 mods installed on my forum (and even 3.6.5 version) before I upgraded. I followed everyones directions and guidance that had been given to me (uninstall mods, disable them in the config file, BACKUP!) and the upgrade went flawlessly to 4.0 Suite. It is such a quantum leap in design and features. There are a few mods I would like to have back on it, but nothing nearly valuable enough to make even re-consider having upgraded to 4.0. Follow the staff's instructions for your upgrade, and I'd bet you would be fine.
            Vote for these items in the tracker: Image Watermarking ----- Search Algorithm Sucks ----- Drop Main CSS section from style manager ------ Simplify process to accept pending group join requests ------ Add option to publish to the wall of a "Fan Page" in addition to the user's personal FB wall. ------ CMS Should physically resize images into thumbnails and not scale via CSS

Comment

Originally posted by TimL View Post
              This entire transition reminds me of a Nazi takeover and I want no parts of that.
              Slight exaggeration perhaps.

Comment

Forums work fine, blogs probably too except for the huge amounts of bugs and lack of anything other than a few addons and a new design. CMS is a joke.
                Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                  Its also unnecessary to add Disable_Hooks to your config file if you currently have a fully working forum, and are not installing the Suite - you can simply disable the plugin system in your ACP - vBulletin Options > Plugin/Hook System > Enable = No You should not do it this way if you are installing the suite, as the CMS and Blogs are products, and will (I think) re-enable the plugin system when you install them (not actually tested this, so they may not).
                  When I upgraded my test forum to suite, it did reenable the products on its own. I was getting a white page for forumhome until I figured out to turn off the products/plugins again.

Just FYI

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
                    I already told you before that this is incorrect. I didn't uninstall any of the mods I planned to upgrade before I upgraded my site. I simply disabled them. That is even what Ray told everyone to do when the first beta went public. Disable, not Uninstall.
                    Thanks. I missed your previous comment. I will disable all add-ons.

You should not do it this way if you are installing the suite, as the CMS and Blogs are products, and will (I think) re-enable the plugin system when you install them (not actually tested this, so they may not).
                    I will be going from vb3.8.3 with blog to vb 4.x.x suite (There are too many bugs listed for 4.0). I assume that the blog addon should stay enabled?
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

This does make me laugh, (not the fact that your forum is down!) Just all these threads saying DONT INSTALL / UPGRADE TO VB4..

I just upgraded from 3.8.4 pl2, I didn't use the define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true); as i disabled all plugins myself, I also had vbseo installed and i had no problems at all with the upgrade, I feared the worst prior to upgrading because of the many threads like this one that i've read on here, and even though im a noob (only been using vb since May) ive upgraded to VB4 Gold PL1 and VBSEO 3.5 RC1 and had no issues other than one database issue caused by a conflict from a new vb4 mod on vb.org.. One thing i did do was revert all templates as i was using vbseostyle 2.0.. No problems at all during the upgrade, Yet if i were to believe these types of threads i'd still be on 3.8.4 with the dated vbadvanced instead of the better designed & better looking vbcms from the publishing suite.. My site had quite a few plugins and template mods prior to the upgrade to vb4..

Im just glad i took the plunge and went ahead with the upgrade.. I hope you get your problems sorted out though as i know what its like to have a site and wait for support..

Comment

Originally posted by Alfa1 View Post
                        I assume that the blog addon should stay enabled?

I done mine yesterday and left the blogs enabled, all went smoothly and works fine

Comment

Smart admins run test sites, and fully test any major upgrades (and most minor changes) on them before going anywhere near their live forum.

Oh yea, well smart admins don't blindly pre-purchase software before they even see it.... er... uhm...

doh!
                          My Twitterings

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by cerberuz View Post
                            This does make me laugh, (not the fact that your forum is down!) Just all these threads saying DONT INSTALL / UPGRADE TO VB4..

I just upgraded from 3.8.4 pl2, I didn't use the define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true); as i disabled all plugins myself, I also had vbseo installed and i had no problems at all with the upgrade, I feared the worst prior to upgrading because of the many threads like this one that i've read on here, and even though im a noob (only been using vb since May) ive upgraded to VB4 Gold PL1 and VBSEO 3.5 RC1 and had no issues other than one database issue caused by a conflict from a new vb4 mod on vb.org.. One thing i did do was revert all templates as i was using vbseostyle 2.0.. No problems at all during the upgrade, Yet if i were to believe these types of threads i'd still be on 3.8.4 with the dated vbadvanced instead of the better designed & better looking vbcms from the publishing suite.. My site had quite a few plugins and template mods prior to the upgrade to vb4..

Im just glad i took the plunge and went ahead with the upgrade.. I hope you get your problems sorted out though as i know what its like to have a site and wait for support..
                            Thanks for the information, I will run another test upgrade and will let everyone know the outcome. I'm with you, I fear the worst and certainly would not want to lose the hard work that has been put into my site.

Comment

Originally posted by molieman View Post
                              Thanks for the information, I will run another test upgrade and will let everyone know the outcome. I'm with you, I fear the worst and certainly would not want to lose the hard work that has been put into my site.
                              Hey, nice looking site Matt, I've just been asked to do a review for a flight Sim X addon called AirShow Pilot, which i'll hopfully get done this week..

Comment

My first note is to agree with what everyone else has said. You should have had backups to revert to. I run nightly database backups and copies into a non web accessible dir on my server...no hassle whatsoever.

With that said, my procedure was this to complete my upgrade;
                                1) Backup primary database!!!
                                2) Using the vb 3.5 install, uninstall all plugins and products
                                3) Revert all templates
                                4) Set VB default theme as active and default
                                5) Change the MySQL resources (it takes a lot for step 11 on 4.0 alpha 1)
                                6) delete or rename directory structure, remember to save the gallery folder, and the config.php (if you choose to)
                                7) upload the new files into the new bare directory
                                8) update the config.php information with whatever new information there may be
                                9) once the install is complete, go into the admin control panel, and run all the necessary rebuilds.
                                10) go into settings and Site URL option and update the URLs accordingly.

I copied my original 3.x file structure into a different directory all together and set a subdomain to it so that I could test. It was a frustrating process, but after the fourth of fifth time I finally figured the be process for me. I had a lot of plugins, and my own custom style (who doesnt), but once they were disabled on the 3.x system, it worked on 4.0s upgrade. You also may consider wiping your existing directories. I had a lot of hacks and add ons over the years, could be some xml somewhere jacking everything up. I had CMPS as well, and I think that originally confused the 4.0 upgrade post-install.

Not really giving much new information, but I hope it helps someone if only just a little.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X