Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.0 upgrade - DON'T DO IT if you have any Mods - and probably, don't do it period!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TimL View Post
    This entire transition reminds me of a Nazi takeover and I want no parts of that.
    Someone should have declared "Godwin's Law" as soon as this was posted and then closed the thread .

My upgrade experience: I had some issues backing up my "production" forum, but I eventually was able to. I had some problems upgrading my backup forum from 3.8.4pl2 to 4.0.1, but with some advice and a note that I had to do something that -- admittedly -- wasn't in the upgrade install instructions, I was able to get it working. I'm now testing and tweaking the backup, so I can make it the production forum.

There's another forum that is of the same genre as mine that decided to do all the upgrades on a LIVE forum. They were down for three or four days (thanks for the extra members!). That's not vB's problem, that's the fault of the person that decided to upgrade a LIVE forum.

FWIW, I think that 4.0.1 is shiny, but it has some interesting quirks and some bugs. It DOES have a couple of nice features which, arguably, I could have gotten as mods for 3.8. However, one also has to look at support for mods -- maybe not that important for small forums, but could be really important if you've got 20,000 members and your advertisers are wondering why their ads are all messed up.

Personally, I'm not planning on taking the 4.0.x forum live until 4.0.2 because I do think that it does have too many issues with "minor" browsers (Safari and Firefox being two -- and yes, I posted my issues) and I want to make sure those are all ironed out, first. Until then, I'm gonna play with 4.0.1 and see what fun things I can do with it and not worry because I'm not playing with a PRODUCTION forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by TimL View Post
      This entire transition reminds me of a Nazi takeover and I want no parts of that.

Originally posted by prisoner 24601 View Post
      Someone should have declared "Godwin's Law" as soon as this was posted and then closed the thread
      lol - I thought of the same thing when I read that post. And I also thought that was long forgotten part of Internet culture. Good to see someone remembers. ....or are we showing our age now?
      ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X