Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Installations in an intranet environment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nonverbalabbie
    replied
    Thanks Everyone for the responses and I appreciate all the input. I am currently testing this in a VM Lab and seeing the results. I've recently been in hospital so we'll see how it goes... I'll keep you posted

Leave a comment:

• Old Git
    replied
    All you need for this is a web server with installs of PHP and SQL. Most of us who run a public facing Vbulletin site will infact have a privately installed copy as a backup and as a test bed for anything we want to try out before we do it on the live site. I think your concern is that if it can't communicate with the registration servers will it break and Trevor is most likley correct in asserting that it won't. However, if you have a gateway/router on your network connecting to the Internet then any registration comms will get through unless you change the Default Gateway details on the Webserver's IP Stack, and even then it really depends on how your Network is configured.

One other thing you should be aware of is that if it cannot connect to the registration servers then you will most likley not get the regular securtiy update notifications in your Admin panel that are part and parcel of the service. In this scenarion you will have to regularly check on the Vbulletin site to make sure you keep up with the patches!

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Nothing should "break" and yes, you can use vBulletin on a non publicly accessible server

Leave a comment:

• In Omnibus
    replied
    Originally posted by nonverbalabbie View Post

I'm not asking how to control the access as that's already done by physically isolating that machine on a different network that cannot communicate to the outside world in any way, but rather what are the ramifications of installing cBulletin in such an environment (read "will anything break as a result of this?") and is it allowed to user vBulletin in such an environment under the terms of the license agreement that I agreed to?
    A vBulletin staff member would be the one to answer this definitively, however ...

There is no legal requirement to make your forums publicly accessible. The agreement says you can only use the software on a single domain. My test installation is on a private dedicated server accessible only by me and I have no issues. The legal requirement is only one instance of the software can be publicly accessible. If you were to run the software within an ethernet environment it would be logical to assume they would only want you running one instance of it unless you own multiple licenses. Other than that you would be within the terms and conditions.

Obviously, your server needs to have the required LAMP stack (PHP, SQL, cURL, etc.)

You're not going to be able to execute any number of third party scripts from an ethernet so consider whether or not you need any modifications or add ons to function. You can't call any CDN-based content from an ethernet unless the CDN is internal.

If this is a new installation I would recommend testing it out first. YOu can come back with any errors you receive and work through them first before going "live."

Leave a comment:

• nonverbalabbie
    replied
    Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post
    You can restrict access by IP address at the server level or using htaccess using a deny all, allow specific IP addresses protocol.
    I'm not asking how to control the access as that's already done by physically isolating that machine on a different network that cannot communicate to the outside world in any way, but rather what are the ramifications of installing cBulletin in such an environment (read "will anything break as a result of this?") and is it allowed to user vBulletin in such an environment under the terms of the license agreement that I agreed to?

Leave a comment:

• In Omnibus
    replied
    You can restrict access by IP address at the server level or using htaccess using a deny all, allow specific IP addresses protocol.

Leave a comment:

• Question about Installations in an intranet environment?

Hello:

Hope this finds everyone is doing well and is having a wonderful holiday season. My question is I want to install vBulletin in an intranet environment only accessibly by private IP addresses and not even connected to the public internet in any way.

Question: is this possible in the terms of the license? Are there any "phone hones" that would fail due to the lack of outside access to machines on this network?

Thanks for any help provided in this matter.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X