No announcement yet.

Upgrading 4.2.1 to 4.2.3 - will post thanks work? How long for large DB upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading 4.2.1 to 4.2.3 - will post thanks work? How long for large DB upgrade

Hi, does anyone know if the post thanks mod will work in 4.2.3?

Also, I have 600,000 threads, 2.5 million posts. What am I looking at in terms of upgrade time? I assume I need to use the CLI installer. Correct?

Anything else that could snag me going from .1 to .3 or will most of my template and other stuff likely upgrade fine?

Thanks
    BroncosForums.com - Broncos Fan Forum
    Total Broncos - Denver Broncos Blog and News

4.2.1 to 4.2.3 is not a major upgrade so you shouldn't run into any problems. There are no major database changes.
    The CLI upgrader is always best if you can access the command line.
    The post thanks mod ought to still work, but of course we can't offer any guarantees on that. Plenty of people (myself included) use it on 4.2.3 though.

Upgrade time is difficult to predict. It depends on the server as much as the size of the database. Allow a few hours because you obviously need to have a full backup of files and database before you proceed. On 2.5 million posts you will be doing the database backup on the command line but it'll still take a while.

Most templates should be ok.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thanks Mark. That's what I was thinking.

Decent server - Xeon E3-1230, 8 gig and SSDs.

So, mysql dump of vB tables
      FTP out all files in the /forum directory (and subs of course)
      Then upload all new files, including modified config.php (or leave existing in place??)
      run CLI
      Any other steps?

Also, I'm currently apache 2.2, php 5.3 and Mysql 5.5. Can I/should I update any and if so before or after?

Comment

For 4.2.3 you need to update php - ideally to 5.6 (no higher though). You need to do this with your site closed, as 4.2.1 will not run properly on php 5.6, but in turn 4.2.3 will not run on php 5.3 (indeed the upgrade won't start).

You don't need a new config file, just use the existing one.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Hi, before I pull the trigger on the upgrade, I have a question about MySQL. I'm actually going to be migrating to a new server at the same time. The member area says MySQL 4.1.0+ Can I really use any version above 4.1 or is there only some versions of MySQL supported? What's the highest level of MySQL that you think I can safely go with?

Thanks

Comment