Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.8.x -> 4.x Upgrade. Attachment handling question (filesystem vs. database)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8.x -> 4.x Upgrade. Attachment handling question (filesystem vs. database)

This isn't forum-breaking, but I noticed something today and thought it was worth asking. I ran an upgrade from 3.8.8 to 4.2 this weekend. I changed all of my paths to my beta forum in the file system, but forgot to edit the attachment path. Not a big deal, since it's just a beta forum and I didn't mind that it was still pointing at my live server.

However - during the upgrade process, all of my live site attachments stopped working. This was because I have my 3.8 forum set to store attachments in the filesystem, and when I did the 4.x upgrade it moved them all into the database. Thing is, I don't recall being prompted for this decision. I can't 100% say that I didn't see it, but outside of completely rebuilding my beta testbed I figured it was worth asking first.

When I upgrade from 3.x to 4.x, is there a way to keep attachments in the filesystem? I don't want them in the DB, and I'm not sure if that's the only way 4.x handles them.

You need to have that attachment file path correct when doing an upgrade because all the attach ids get changed during the upgrade. If you have them in the filesystem and you have the correct absolute filepath entered into the admincp, then your attachments will stay in the filesystem.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment