No announcement yet.

vBulletin 4.2.2 PL 4 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I carefully applied 4.2.2 PL4 file by file only to have the entire site go down, like; completely blank start page.
    I backed out removing the patch files one at a time and the site came up after I Restored files in the root of /includes/ directory.

I'm going from 4.2.0, must I apply all patches before 4.2.2 PL4 for this to work?

Comment

You can't patch 4.2.0, you must do a full upgrade to 4.2.2PL4 That means uploading all the 4.2.2 files and running/install/upgrade.php

Comment

Thanks. Don't see a upgrade.php included in the patch files.
        Maybe there are patching instructions somewhere.

Originally posted by donald1234 View Post
        You can't patch 4.2.0, you must do a full upgrade to 4.2.2PL4 That means uploading all the 4.2.2 files and running/install/upgrade.php

Comment

You need to download the full 4.2.2PL4 files, not the patch, then upload all the files and run the upgrader.

The patch is only to be used if you are already on 4.2.2

Comment

Originally posted by donald1234 View Post
            You need to download the full 4.2.2PL4 files, not the patch, then upload all the files and run the upgrader.

The patch is only to be used if you are already on 4.2.2
            So, I'll study the docs but to nutshell this:
            1. Upload full 4.2.2PL4, overwrite existing files in place on the server. (Via SFTP)
            2. Run upgrader script.
            3. Site should work?

If the upgrade fails is it possible to simply delete all the upgraded files and restore the directory structure?

What about my MGC Chat, PayPal donation thing or all the other plugins?

I don't want to have to rebuild the site from zero.

Thanks for the feedback.
            Last edited by zzSQL; Tue 13 Jan '15, 2:48pm.

Comment

You should always make a full backup of your site before doing any major upgrade so you can put things back the way they are if you run into problems.

Yes just as per the manual for an upgrade, upload all the files from the 4.2.2PL4 download package overwiting the 4.2.0 ones, then visit /install/upgrade.php

There are no guarantees that your plugins or custom skins will work with 4.2.2 but 4.2.2 has been around a while now and most will work if it's the latest version.

Comment

Last question, I've never had to do a full site restore but if I have database backups and a full directory structure backup.
                Can I fully restore the site? As if I was moving to a new server?

I don't have a huge amount of faith in VB after seeing how a single php file can disable the entire site.

Comment

If you have both those things, you can restore your site, shouldn't need it though, upgrades rarely go wrong if you follow the instructions.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X