No announcement yet.

Easy to upgrade from 3.0.x to VB 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Easy to upgrade from 3.0.x to VB 4?

Hello Everyone,

I have a VB site that currently uses VB 3.0.x, and I am thinking about upgrading to the new version of VB.

I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate help with:

1) Does anyone have any experience as to whether it is easy to upgrade from 3.0.x to 4, or have you experiences many glitches and errors?

2) Also, I have been reading in the VB forum that there have been some issues with VB 4. Have most of those issues been resolved?

Thank you for your help and thoughts as to whether it is worth the upgrade for the site.

Khashyar
    www.DalaiLamaFilm.com/community
    www.russianmeetingplace.com/forums/
    www.russianmeetingplace.com/russianforum/
    www.wakan.com/forum

Hi Everyone,

I was looking on my admin panel, and it gives me an option to upgrade to "vBulletin 3.8.7 Patch Level 2."

So, I assume that I have to first upgrade to VB 3.8.7, and then to VB 4.

Is this correct?

For others who have performed this two-step upgrade, did you have errors or problems?

Thank you for your help and feedback.

Khashyar
    www.wakan.com/forum

Comment

Hello again,

I did not receive a response to my question, so I was reading through the VB members/license holder's forum section, and I received a lot of information about the changes in the past couple of years with VB.

I have owned VB licenses since 2003, and have really loved and valued the software.

But, I think that I will wait to upgrade to version 4.x until I read feedback that the bugs have been fixed.

It is surprising that I need to purchase a new VB 4.x license to be able to fully upgrade to VB 3.8.7 (I read many posts about the new policy, but it seems that I am late to the party).

But, for the record, I checked my email address of record, and I did NOT receive any email about the temporary software upgrade offer.

I would appreciate if VB could send an email to all of its license holders again, and then offer one more license upgrade offer.

Thank to all of the VB license holders, and dedicated support and development staff at VB, for putting the hearts into improving VB.

I hope that VB continues to be the leader in forum software in the future.
      www.wakan.com/forum

Comment

You will need to upgrade to at least VB 3.6 before upgrading t 4.x, so 3.8.7 is a good halfway-point.

Comment

Thanks, BirdOP...

I am planning on upgrading to at least 3.6 anyway....

I am also thinking about biting the bullet and paying for an upgrade license ($175) so that I can upgrade to 3.8.7 (although I do not want to upgrade to 4.x yet, until the consensus is that current forums owners feel comfortable and happy with it).

Does 3.8.7 have enough improvements and additional features over 3.6 to warrant paying the upgrade fee?

Thanks again for your feedback.
          www.wakan.com/forum

Comment

These questions are opinions and everyone has their own. I think 3.8.7 is great and you should try it and decide if you need to go to VB4 at all, but others will feel different. VB4 is adequate these days too if you want to go all the way.

Comment

Thanks, BirdOfPrey...

By the way, I liked what you did with your Off Topic forum... It has a nice look and great features....

So, from your signature, I see that you are still using VB 3.8.7....

Is there a reason why you didn't want to upgrade to VB4?

One thing that I have been reading on the VB forum, is that the code and engine for VB 4 is very similar to VB 3.8.7 (except that additional code has been added to incorporate the VB CMS).

I just don't want to drive users away from my forum, with user-end issues and unresolved bugs in VB4.
              www.wakan.com/forum

Comment

Originally posted by Khashyar View Post
                Thanks, BirdOfPrey...

By the way, I liked what you did with your Off Topic forum... It has a nice look and great features....

So, from your signature, I see that you are still using VB 3.8.7....

Is there a reason why you didn't want to upgrade to VB4?

One thing that I have been reading on the VB forum, is that the code and engine for VB 4 is very similar to VB 3.8.7 (except that additional code has been added to incorporate the VB CMS).

I just don't want to drive users away from my forum, with user-end issues and unresolved bugs in VB4.
                My users hate change... and when VB4 was first released it was terrible and turned a lot of people off. I made a decision long ago I would not be upgrading my main forum, JUOT, to VB4 ever- unless there is some major change which I don't see happening realistically at this point.

That said I started a new forum recently, www.qapla.com, which I did go with version 4.0. In this case I chose 4.x because it was a brand new forum, it had no one to complain about changing it.

If I was starting a new vBulletin forum today I would go with 4.x, it is "good enough" as of the latest release to be a successful forum, and it will only get better with time (that is to say, more bug fixes, and maybe more features.)

But if upgrading an existing forum 3.8.7 would be my personal choice- it will keep the look and feel of an older forum but with all the security enhancements developed over the years. Also vBulletin has committed to offering security patches to the VB 3.8 series for the foreseeable future, so it should be a safe and stable platform for years to come still.

Comment

Thank you for your feedback, BOP.

I can see that it is a personal decision, and it takes understanding what best suites your forum community.
                  www.wakan.com/forum

Comment