No announcement yet.

Upgrading very large forum from 3.8.7 to 4.1.4, command line question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Upgrading very large forum from 3.8.7 to 4.1.4, command line question

Hi all.

I will soon be upgrading my very large forum from 3.8.7 to 4.1.4 via command line using "php -f upgrade.php" in SSH.

Will this command line upgrade also rebuild the thread and search index or will I still need to log into AdminCP and perform this maintenance via the browser?

Thank you in advance.

Hi no it won't rebuild thread/search info there's other scripts for that. Might want to bookmark and read my guide at https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entr...a2000-s-method
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Hi Eva2000.

Thanks very much for your reply, and your guide. Seems pretty straight forward, right up until this part:

Rebuilding Threads

Works pretty much the same way as searchindex.php but asks for starting thread id and number of threads to update per pass.
      I'm unsure of my starting thread id because my forum began life via the IMPEX system, due to importing my content from another software package many years ago. t=1 is actually a post dated 26-07-00, whereas the first thread on my forum (in chronological order) is t=3831, made 06-06-00.
      Last edited by McJ; Sun 17 Jul '11, 5:56am.

Comment

Just start from 0, the question is for starting thread id not date and usually used for if you indexing stopped before completion. i.e. if it stopped at thread id 1000, you can run it again from id 1001
        Last edited by George L; Sun 17 Jul '11, 11:20am.
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Great. Thanks again Eva2000.

Comment

Eva2000.

Tune php and mysql settings specifically for backup, restore and upgrade process.
            Could you give me an example of what these respective ini file settings might be. I'm performing a trial update and so far my almost 5Gb SQL dump has taken 8 hrs to restore and we're still not done. My current my.ini file looks like this.

max_allowed_packet=64M
            old_passwords=1
            skip-innodb
            skip-bdb
            max_connections=400
            wait_timeout=14400
            interactive_timeout=14400
            query_cache_size=12M
            join_buffer_size=256K
            thread_cache_size=4
            table_cache=256
            thread_concurrency=8
            query_cache_limit=1M
            query_cache_size=32M
            query_cache_type=1

Comment

my.ini so you're using windows based server ?

For a proper tune up for advice only suggestions as well as my.ini specific for backup/restore/upgrade process, you'd want to post a new thread in Server config forum http://www.vbulletin.com/go/serverconfig with info asked at http://www.vbulletin.com/go/tweak.

Comment

Hi Eva2000. That was a typo, I'm running CentOS and that should have been my.cnf.

I'll post where you suggest. Thanks again.

Comment

Oh, one final question. Can I shut down my Apache web service while performing the upgrade via command line?

Comment

I would not shut down Apache to do the upgrade.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by McJ View Post
                      Hi Eva2000. That was a typo, I'm running CentOS and that should have been my.cnf.

I'll post where you suggest. Thanks again.
                      oh if you're running centos just use my mysqlmymonlite.sh script to grab all the info. Takes <12 seconds to grab all server info needed for optimisation and troubleshooting

Originally posted by McJ View Post
                      Oh, one final question. Can I shut down my Apache web service while performing the upgrade via command line?
                      no don't shut down apache!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X