Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

after upgrade - tasks to address - are they necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Suite] after upgrade - tasks to address - are they necessary?

Hi, I did a test upgrade from 3.8.7 forum to 4.1.3 suite and it went fine.
    Once upgraded I went into admincp and was presented with the following tasks to address -

1 - You must rebuild thread information and then forum information.
    2 - In order to add keywords to threads you must run the appropriate counter.
    3 - You must build the 4.0.0 search index in order for your forum to perform properly

My forum has Threads: 334,242, Posts: 5,420,638
    And the database is about 4.5Gb

When I 'addressed' task 1 it took 20 mins then gave me an error message and then it was gone from the admincp home page so I went to task 2. This task took 4 hours to complete. Right now I am running task 3, its been 1 hour and I don't know when it will be finished.

The database upgrade itself took about 2 hours.

I would prefer to have my forum off for the shortest time possible.

My questions are -
    A - Do these tasks need to be run at all? I thought vbulletin did this type of thing on a routine basis (like in a cron or something)
    B - Do I need to run these tasks immediately after upgrade?
    C - Do I need to run these tasks with my forum off - can I allow my members to use the forum while these run?
    D - If the forum needs to be off while they run, can I do it like a day after the upgrade, or do they need to be done immediately after the upgrade?

thanks.

Yes, they NEED to be run otherwise we wouldn't tell you to. I'd also recommend you do them immediately.

The search index can be run with the forums on however search results will be a little out of whack until it finishes. Use the CLI version to do this though with that many posts however I'd also give serious consideration to using Sphinx with that number of posts.
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
    - "Quick Route" Interface...
    - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Hi Trevor
      The CLI version - are you referring to theadcli.php ?
      I put this file into /includes and ran it on the command line (SSH).
      After inputting the starting thread ID and the # of threads to pass, It gave me an 'Access denied' error.
      I was logged in as the website user and I also tried as root. Is this 'Access denied' something to do with access to the database? If so how do I specify the database user/pwd .. I thought it might pick that up automatically from the db object referenced in the code?

Comment

hilary threadcli.php run it from forum web root not /includes as per guide i wrote step #8 at http://vbtechsupport.com/836/
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Hi Eva,
          Thanks but threadcli.php still didn't work when I placed it in the web root, nor the vbulletin root. It only gets to the prompts (for threadid etc) if its in the includes folder, otherwise it has path errors, starting at line 12
          require_once(CWD . '/includes/init.php');

I think the 'access denied' error has to do with the database access from the command line.
          The database is on another server that is connected to locally via an internal IP.
          For some reason the vbulletin database object isn't connecting properly. I don't know how to fix this.
          I tried rewriting the code but it would take me a while to rewrite the vbulletin function 'build_thread_counters' so I decided not to continue.

Do you know what could be preventing this from working?
          thanks

Comment

hmm i tried threadcli.php won't run for me either just returns to prompt

try Paul's cli.php script instead https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...re-CLI-Scripts
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Hi Eva2000
              The options the CLI gives me are -

1) Quit
              2) Update User Titles and Ranks
              3) Rebuild Thread Information
              4) Rebuild Forum Information
              5) Add Add Missing Thread Keywords
              6) Update User Names
              7) Update Post Counts
              8) Fix Broken User Profiles
              9) Rebuild Post Cache
              10) Empty Signature Cache
              11) Delete Duplicate Threads

I can see that the task
              1 - You must rebuild thread information and then forum information.
              matches up with 3) and 4)

I think the task
              2 - In order to add keywords to threads you must run the appropriate counter.
              matches with 5)

And the last task
              3 - You must build the 4.0.0 search index in order for your forum to perform properly
              will be executed on the command line using do_not_upload/searchindex.php

Is it necessary to execute any of the other CLI.php tasks?

Comment

#3 is the thread rebuild one you want

other tasks you don't need to run unless there are outstanding notices in admincp front page prompting for such

Comment

Originally posted by hilary View Post
                  Hi Trevor
                  The CLI version - are you referring to theadcli.php ?
                  I put this file into /includes and ran it on the command line (SSH).
                  After inputting the starting thread ID and the # of threads to pass, It gave me an 'Access denied' error.
                  The threadcli.php file you can download and run in command line will indeed give an error Access denied.

This is because there seems to be some security in VB files, that threadcli.php seems to forget.

You can fix this by editing threadcli.php and putting in at line 2 (just after <?php ):
                  define('VB_ENTRY','1');
                  :rolleyes: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000 View Post
                    hilary threadcli.php run it from forum web root not /includes as per guide i wrote step #8 at http://vbtechsupport.com/836/
                    Incorrect. The script needs to be run from a directory inside forums (eg includes/).

If you look at line 9-12 you see why:
                    9. chdir('./../');
                    10. define('CWD', (($getcwd = getcwd()) ? $getcwd : '.'));
                    12. require_once(CWD . '/includes/init.php');

So the script actually looks for ./../includes/init.php
                    And to find it, the script should be located in includes, or any other sibling folder.
                    :rolleyes: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :rolleyes:

Comment