Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very large vBulletin upgrade. Any tips/suggestions welcome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    The ZIP is no longer available but I've added notes on what to do in it's place.

Leave a comment:

• sdi_employee
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    If you want something that works well, and works now, do take a look at the sphinx option from digitalpoint. Shawn offers support for the product (where as ours is unsupported) and its only 25 dollars.
    Sounds good. Running the 25 bucks through the higher ups, and I'm sure if it helps me get up and running faster they'll be all for it.

If not, I'll pay it myself haha

Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    I'll second that, Shawn is a hugely respected coder and his Sphinx product is amazing value for the cost.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    If you want something that works well, and works now, do take a look at the sphinx option from digitalpoint. Shawn offers support for the product (where as ours is unsupported) and its only 25 dollars.

Leave a comment:

• sdi_employee
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    Offices have been open for a few hours, things do not happen instantly.
    I completely understand. I'm getting a little pressure on my end to get things tested and out the door, and the only thing I can tell my superiors is that I've followed up.

My apologies.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Offices have been open for a few hours, things do not happen instantly.

Leave a comment:

• sdi_employee
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
    I've pinged someone about it but it won't be addressed until US office hours - when I hear it's resolved, I'll post back.
    Thank you kindly.

- - - Updated - - -

Any idea when I might hear back?

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    I've pinged someone about it but it won't be addressed until US office hours - when I hear it's resolved, I'll post back.

Leave a comment:

• sdi_employee
    replied
    http://carblog.com/vbsphinxsearch/cron.zip

Appears to be a broken link. Any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Sphinx changes everything, its better than anything we can provide out of the box because its an application that is only designed to do searching. Our hands are tied in the default system to use MySQL and php.

Leave a comment:

• sdi_employee
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
    In your previous post you said "20 million posts currently in the database"? Still, anything over the 1m we'd recommend Sphinx for.

There are a number of people using it without issue. There is also a version available from digitalpoint - although that is a premium version - that you can look into.
    That was actually me, and not the person you were replying to.

That's an interesting suggestion, and I'll definitely look into it. We're currently using a slave database for search only and that seems to prevent the site from running really slow due to search, it's just the upgrade process that has been tough for us to get through, simply due to the long post-upgrade process.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    I can vouch for the free vB sphinx solution. Unsupported but works fine. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully (plus you need sphinx installed on your server).

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    In your previous post you said "20 million posts currently in the database"? Still, anything over the 1m we'd recommend Sphinx for.

There are a number of people using it without issue. There is also a version available from digitalpoint - although that is a premium version - that you can look into.

Leave a comment:

• Silver_2000
    replied
    While MY site is ONLY 1.7 million posts
    I did the upgrade from 3.8 to 4.2 from command line Using Georges steps and it went VERY well
    The upgrade didnt take long and it didnt take the server to its knees like using the web interface has in the past
    Reindexing from CLI ( not using Sphinx ) took relatively little time ( 2hours maybe ?) and again didnt run the server load up to 15 or 20 like using the web interface

Whats the recommendation for when to use Sphinx. I was planing NOT to use it till it gets out of beta or the server issues require it
    Last edited by Silver_2000; Wed 2 Jan '13, 6:46am.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    For that size of database, it is recommended that large community sites use our Sphinx Search to index and search their content:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...-configuration

Leave a comment: