Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] 3.8.4 > 4 templates query

My 3.8 VB template has a lot of html tables etc.,
    is it possible to upgrade with a default VB 4 template and re-style that template rather than keeping the same html from the 3.8 as I assume extra features may be missing ?

Or does the VB upgrade add all the extra code - div's rather than TD's etc., and just take the 3.8 color and font choices, and also add in the extra new VB features and icons?

Is the VB4 classic template system generally radically different? I seem to remember people saying they delayed upgrading to 4 a good while ago because of more complexity or something.

Is there a demo of what VB 4 classic looks like? does the forumhome have features like VBadvancedCMS like showing a list of new posts etc.,? or is it just the forums lists like VB3?

Also is the upgrade cost $175 from 3 or $195? it doesn't seem to give me the $175 option when I choose buy.

Is the safest way to upgrade to duplicate db + duplicate files and put them in new directory - say /forum2/ and then upgrade that and test it. Then change the dir and delete older when ready?

You old vB3.x styles will not work in vB4. When you upgrade, the script will create a new default vB4 style for you and let you know that the old vB3 styles will not longer work. You cannot use them in vB4 at all as they are because the template syntax for calling the variables is different.

There is a demo here - http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

that demo is the CMS is that right? What does the Home page look like for the forum classic version?

ok - so to make a smooth transition is it best to duplicate the forum like I suggest and upgrade that one in a separate directory. Is it a long process to restyle or as simple as VB3?

Comment

The Style generator thing look very odd indeed.
        All Style Options is in though there so it should be just a matter of putting the same details in again?

looks pretty much the same as VB3 - is there any really difference?

Comment

Originally posted by stevo_s View Post
          that demo is the CMS is that right? What does the Home page look like for the forum classic version?

ok - so to make a smooth transition is it best to duplicate the forum like I suggest and upgrade that one in a separate directory. Is it a long process to restyle or as simple as VB3?
          The Forum Home page is the home page for the Forum Classic - there's no other page that goes on the front.

The upgrade should be quite quick. What you can do is to:

- create a test site and make you're new vB4 style on there
          - export it as an XML file
          - upgrade your live site
          - import the XML file

This will give you the shortest amount of downtime between versions. For more on creating a test site, pelase see this article:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/conte...ng-A-Test-Site
          Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
          -
          *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
          - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
          - "Quick Route" Interface...
          - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

ok so you still need to use vbadvanced or maybe a plugin to get latest posts on the home page?

Even if I have 3.8.4 it is $195 is that right? seems odd that it is that expensive if it is pretty much the same as VB3?

Is facebook login/registration part of VB 4 classic?

Comment

If you can do a little bit of coding, you could create your own home page and use the RSS feed to place the latest threads on there.

The cost to upgrade your license to vB4 Forums is $175.

To upgrade your license go to http://www.vbulletin.com/order/

At the top of the page click the Customer Login button, and after you are logged in, click the Purchase button.

There you will find the ability to purchase new licenses, and if you scroll down the page, there is the option to upgrade existing licenses.

If you are upgrading an existing license, in the Upgrade Options column, select the license you want.

And yes, the Facebook Connect functionality is part of vB4.0.4 onwards.
              Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
              -
              *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
              - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
              - "Quick Route" Interface...
              - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Ok - sounds like it's time to upgrade so. Maybe I heard issues of stability a year or 2 ago that put me off - is the latest version nice and stable or are you allowed to say
                been using VB for 12 yrs now so might as well stick with it, although so many forum users now seem to favor facebook and twitter etc., hopefully forums have a bit of life left in them yet. Cheers.

Comment

My plan is for the the VB4 upgrade to be part of a re-design of the website anyway - do you think it would be a good plan to:

1. backup DB
                  2. create a new db and restore to backed up DB
                  2. duplicate VB files in new directory /forum2/
                  3. upgrade this VB to 4
                  4. change /forum2/ to /forum/ when ready to go live (and config paths of course)

I may lose some more recent posts from the VB3 but not to many to be a worry.

Sound like a good plan?

It gives me the ability to switch back to VB3 is there are any problems.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X