No announcement yet.

v 4.x and spams / unwanted posts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] v 4.x and spams / unwanted posts?

Does v4.x offer better spam protection and handling of spammers posts?
    I have this issue and have to delete 1000s of post every week. vB ver is 3.8.4.
    Get Smart...
    www.AutomationMedia.com

Not really, your better off installing a few hacks/addons to null that issue.
    Gentoo Geek

Comment

Use the Questions & Answers function which works very well.

Admin CP -> Settings -> Human Verification Options -> Question & Answer Verification

Comment

Question & Answer Verification and other recommended hacks are already installed but no help....
        Get Smart...
        www.AutomationMedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by port80 View Post
          Question & Answer Verification and other recommended hacks are already installed but no help....
          Perhaps make the Question & Answer system a bit more difficult. Another option is to moderate new registrations.

Comment

Moderating 1000s of junk posts from china and india is more time consuming than selecting user, finding all post and deleting...
            junk posts are big time issue and vB should have some solution...
            Get Smart...
            www.AutomationMedia.com

Comment

Moderating 1000s of junk posts from china and india is more time consuming than selecting user, finding all post and deleting...
              The trick is to stop them from registering. As I said before, strengthen the Question & Answer system and consider moderating new registrations, that means if they are obviously a spammer you delete the new registration.

Comment

We already have tools in the system to help deal with them, if you use them it should help combat the spam. If you're unwilling to use them I don't know what else we can do to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                  We already have tools in the system to help deal with them, if you use them it should help combat the spam. If you're unwilling to use them I don't know what else we can do to help.
                  If you mean Q&A and pic verfications, both are installed and in place...but no luck.
                  Get Smart...
                  www.AutomationMedia.com

Comment

If you mean Q&A and pic verfications, both are installed and in place...but no luck.
                    Just to clarify, I am talking about my current v 3.8.4 here......
                    I posted this here as want to if upgrade will address this issue or not....
                    Get Smart...
                    www.AutomationMedia.com

Comment

You should check and see if your box is compromised. There are some nasty things out there that will compromise your box just to get past your registration checks. If you are getting that much spam, it may be that your box is compromised.

Otherwise, depending on your forum topic, you might look at blocking registration from specific countries. There are some mods out there that do that.

Comment

Just to clarify, I am talking about my current v 3.8.4 here......
                        I posted this here as want to if upgrade will address this issue or not....
                        You cannot use basic math questions to try to stop spammers. The questions should be specific to your audience without being basic general knowledge. Anything that can be understood outside of your general field isn't specific enough. Numbers are universal and math can be done by pretty much anyone.

Comment

You cannot use basic math questions to try to stop spammers. The questions should be specific to your audience without being basic general knowledge. Anything that can be understood outside of your general field isn't specific enough. Numbers are universal and math can be done by pretty much anyone.
                          OK, I am going to try some technical question related to forum....
                          lets see....
                          thx
                          Get Smart...
                          www.AutomationMedia.com

Comment

OK, I am going to try some technical question related to forum....
                            lets see....
                            thx
                            Why don't you manually approve all the accounts so that you don't have people spamming your forum?
                            I have had to do the same because i was getting an influx of spammers
                            Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                            Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

There are some great mods for spam, also some nice articles.
                              4.x does have a some added protection, but you shouldn't rely completely on the default options, 5 mins of adding mods will save you hours to deleting spammers if they are as bad as the OP has stated.
                              -- Web Developer for hire
                              ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X