Problem with template when upgrading to vBulletin 4.1.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] Problem with template when upgrading to vBulletin 4.1.2

I've got a big problem. I currently run my forum on vBulletin 4.0.2 Patch Level 1, but when i upgrade to 4.1.2, everything works fine, expect the template isn't working correctly. Here you can view the old and new header/footer, so you can see what's the problem.

I've placed a backup, so the problem can't be viewed online, but i guess this is because of merging issues with the new version. What can i do to let the template look like the old one, even if vBulletin is upgraded to 4.1.2?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by The Dutch; Mon 28th Feb '11, 4:52pm.

There have been a number of styling changes since 4.1.0. You may have to revert those templates, then redo your changes manually.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

As a practice, I always revert all templates after an upgrade and make changes manually. I save each modified template using notepad for each version. That way I can always easily look back to what template changes I made.

Comment

Then I understand this is the main problem, but Steve Machol and Andy, what are the steps I need to take to get the template working and what do I need to do when changing my template? I mean, i've always used PHPBB, so vBulletin is kinda new for me. How do i know which do change, and in what to change it to? Thanks for you're quick answers, i really appriate the help from you guys.

Comment

You need to revert those templates, than manually redo your changes.

Here is the online documentation regarding reverting templates after an upgrade:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/u...vert_templates

Note: 'Reverting' means that you restore the templates to the latest version rather than continue to run the older versions.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Alright, thanks for the support, but i've got another question. I did revert the template, but it still didn't work. Yes, some of the things came back to normal, but there were a few flaws. How can this happen? Which changes do i need to make?

By the way, I think i saw some white, yellow and red blocks, and a few of the strings/scripts were red, which means they are incompatible with 4.1.2, right?

Comment

What 'flaws'? Also in addition to the templates, styles use Stylevars as well.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

With 'flaws' i mean that the images weren't the right size and there was no presentable structure. Also, what needs to be changed on the styles?

The problem is, for me, the template has not been downloaded from a website, it has been custom build for my website, so there aren't any updates for it. I don't know if that's important or not, but i don't get what i did wrong after 'reverting' the template, which, by the way, was not to be made undone. By revering them, it looked better and more like the old style from 4.0.2, but it still wasn't the same. There were 'flaws' in the layout, i didn't look presentable.

Comment

Template - one template for a specific part of a style. Style - all of those templates that go together to make your vBulletin look the way it does.

It appears that you are referring to the Style as 'the template'.

If you only reverted one template, you would need to also revert the other ones.
                  My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                  vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

A real link would help, but as I said there are many changes to the srtylevars since 4.1.0.

Try this. Create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Then change to this style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?

If you do, empty your browser cache, close all browser windows and try again.

If you do not have this problem with the original templates, then this means the problem is with one or more of your custom templates. You need to revert your templates, then redo your changes.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I will try this in the weekend at night. Thanks for the help and if it still doesn't work, I'll be posting that in this topic. Thanks guys, I really appreciate the time and help from you.

Comment

There is still a small problem. I got most things working again, but the footer still isn't working correctly. The 'Most users ever online', 'Users online today' etc. is pushed to the left, instead of with a nice bold title as seen in the screenshot in my first post in this topic (footer_old.png). How can i fix this problem? If you want to see it for yourself, you can find the website here:

EDIT: I've messed up, placing a backup. Give me an hour and i'll post an EDIT 2, so it can be viewed again, the problem that is.

EDIT 2: Done.
                        Last edited by The Dutch; Mon 28th Feb '11, 4:56pm.

Comment

I've fixed the problem by accident, thank god. Imported the old .xml and everything was solved. Guys, thanks a lot!
                          Last edited by The Dutch; Mon 28th Feb '11, 4:56pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X