Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrystalStarLight
    replied
    Yay! I figured it out! I had a couple problems, I'll let people know how I did it if anyone else has this problem. Firstly I found out that guests see the "getdaily" version of search so it only showed posts within the last day. I didn't have posts within a day so that why guests couldn't view it.

Secondly the search and advanced search was just not working. Something in the search index was messed up to begin with. So I tried updating these counters in my starting version 3.6.8:

Rebuild Thread Information
    Rebuild Forum Information
    Fix broken user profiles
    Rebuild Post Cache
    Rebuild Similar Threads
    Delete Duplicate Threads
    Rebuild Styles
    Remove Orphan Threads
    Remove Orphan Posts

Then I upgraded to each of these versions like a ladder, and I updated my counters each time I upgraded:

3.8.6 (Patch level 1)
    4.0.0 (I didn't need to update my counters after this version, I did anyway at 4.0.6 just to be sure though.)

The main versions where counters needed to be updated were my starting version 3.6.8, then 3.8.6, and then 4.0.0.

After I updated the counters in my starting version I didn't need to update certain counters again. I just updated these counters on the rest of the versions:

Rebuild Post Cache
    Rebuild Similar Threads
    Delete Duplicate Threads
    Remove Orphan Threads
    Remove Orphan Posts

Leave a comment:

• CrystalStarLight
    replied
    Hi Trevor! No I'm afraid that isn't enabled. I'll be trying to test upgrade again, and testing out different things to see is I can get closer to the problem. If you have anymore thoughts on what it could be I'd love to see them, and if you want access to something to help figure it out feel free to let me know.

Happy Halloween to you too!

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Are you using Search queing - AdminCP > Settings > Options > Message Searching Options > Queue Search Updates?

Leave a comment:

• CrystalStarLight
    replied
    Would it help for yall to be able to look at the database tables? Is the search index located entirely in the database?

Leave a comment:

• CrystalStarLight
    replied
    Also I found out that "New Posts" will not update when I make a new post, no matter if I am logged in or not. I made a new post just now. When I tried to search it didn't work, it gave me the latest posts instead, which were also in a little bit different order than the "New Posts" results.

So it looks like the search index in general is just not working.
    Last edited by CrystalStarLight; Sat 30 Oct '10, 1:52pm.

Leave a comment:

• CrystalStarLight
    replied
    Yes I forgot to mention, after I updated all those counters I emptied and then rebuilt the search index. That's when I looked and it then did exactly what 4.0.6 is doing.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Did you rebuild the Search Index? Old posts won't be indexed so you'll need to rebuild this via the Maintenance > Update Counters option

Leave a comment:

• CrystalStarLight
    replied
    Also something odd happened right after I upgraded to 3.8.6, and tried view the "Today's Posts" as a guest, it only showed the latest 4 posts and not anything before that, unlike the problem when I look at "What's New?" in 4.0.6, which doesn't show any posts at all.

Then at 3.8.6 I tried updating these counters to see if that will fix the search index:

Fix broken user profiles
    Rebuild Post Cache
    Rebuild Similar Threads
    Delete Duplicate Threads
    Rebuild Styles
    Remove Orphan Threads
    Remove Orphan Posts

After I did these things then the "Today's Posts" started doing exactly what the 4.0.6 "What's New?" was doing. Which is not showing any posts and giving the error message:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Leave a comment:

• CrystalStarLight
    replied
    Hi! Sorry for the delay. I needed to test re-upgrading to see exactly when the problem is made. At first I upgraded from 3.6.8 > to 3.8.4 > to 4.0.6. That's when I got this problem. Then I tried upgrading from 3.6.8 to 4.0.6 and I got the same problem.

So I then upgraded to 3.6.8 > to 3.8.4 > to 3.8.6 and I found out this problem is happening when I upgrade to 3.8.6 and if I try rebuilding the search index at that version. So maybe it is because of a change in an upgrade somewhere around that version?

I tried rebuilding the search index in both 3.6.8, and 3.8.4 versions and I didn't get this problem.

All these were clean upgrades with just default features of vbulletin.

Here is a link to the test site I'm doing this at: (It is an 18 or over site.)

http://www.sissykiss.com/test/

It's at version is a 3.8.6 (patch level 1) at the moment because that is where I'm seeing this problem start.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Can you give us a link to your site?

Leave a comment:

• CrystalStarLight
    replied
    Also this seems to only happen in Firefox and Google Chrome. It is not happening in internet Explorer. Well there is a first, Internet Explorer is the one working out from the rest. *lol*

Leave a comment:

• CrystalStarLight
    replied
    Thanks for the reply! It looks like guests have had permission to search in Usergroup Manager, and it is still not showing up for guests.

In Usergroup Manager it has been set to:

Unregistered / Not Logged

Forum Searching Permissions
    Can Search Forums = Yes
    Can Use Boolean Search = Yes

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    What's New is actually a search. You will need to enable the Guests usergroup to search the forums.

Leave a comment:

• CrystalStarLight
    started a topic [Forum] Guests can't see the "What's New?" page

Guests can't see the "What's New?" page

Hi there! Is this supposed to happen, and is it something I can change in options, or is this not supposed to happen? Yeah I can only see it if I'm logged in. I have version 4.0.6 with a clean upgrade from 3.8.4. I'm testing upgrading at the moment in a test directory. I mean clean as in:

* I only have the default style.
    * I have no products or plugins installed.
    * I haven't messed with any options.
    * I emptied and rebuilt the search index, along with the thread and forum information.

I've tried seeing the "What's new?" page in multiple browsers with the same results.

The VB message it says when I try to see it as a guest is:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X