Forums in a subfolder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Suite] Forums in a subfolder?

How can I install vB in /forums subfolder while CMS would be at the site root (like www.vbulletin.com & www.vbulletin.com/forum)? I've seen mentions to instructions on this site on how to accomplish it, but searches and poking around have not turned up anything yet. Someplace (during the 4.0 beta) there was a comment that said that the CMS and the forum must reside in the same folder, but that is obviously not the case considering the way this site is set up.

Thanks!
    Come to visit My Galagzee!

hi,

this is just an idea but in "includes/config.php" there is a thing called forumpath i think you can set this there then while installing the homepage and forums urls should be set to match it but be verry carefull trying this because if i'm wrong it could leave you being unable to login to your site so better wait an official answer or try it on a test site it must be possible however it's done here to mod_rewrite comes to my mind...

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I was wondering if mod_rewrite might be in use here. It would be an ok solution as I use similar technique for custom paths with other CMSes (primarily Expression Engine..).

Could someone from vB share the involved rewrite condition(s)/rule(s)?

Comment

I played with the rewrites for a while. It doesn't seem that there is a solid way to get the different subfolder to work for the forums... after all, the configuration here at vbulletin.com seems to be so that /forum does include the CMS front page, the forum, and the blogs. The site homepage is separate.

I hope this will change for a future version; forums are a significantly separate part of the site than the rest of the content, or the blog, so that sub-folders would be warranted for them. For now I just have to settle for creating a redirect from "mysite.com/forums" to "mysite.com/forum.php".

Comment

Originally posted by Ville View Post
          I played with the rewrites for a while. It doesn't seem that there is a solid way to get the different subfolder to work for the forums... after all, the configuration here at vbulletin.com seems to be so that /forum does include the CMS front page, the forum, and the blogs. The site homepage is separate.

I hope this will change for a future version; forums are a significantly separate part of the site than the rest of the content, or the blog, so that sub-folders would be warranted for them. For now I just have to settle for creating a redirect from "mysite.com/forums" to "mysite.com/forum.php".
          Search vb.com next time, everyone swears they can't find anything or something along those lines but oddly enough this thread was only 10-15 down in the threadlist from yours since yesterday: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...n-subdirectory

Try that and see if it helps but if some of you (not making an example of you and perhaps you did search, just "saying" is all) would actually spend time, use the search and research what you want it's right in front of you like snake in the grass... anti-venom anyone?

Mike

Former vBulletin Support Staff
          Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
          Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, I did search, but perhaps I didn't use the right keywords. After some 20 mins I gave up (many other things to do, too ) and posted a question instead as, I figured, that if the instructions were to exist, someone could quickly point them out (like you did).

Meanwhile, I was looking into how to at least separate the physical content from the rest of the content on the site. It won't separate the contents for the user, but seems to work perfectly for management purposes. Here're the rewrite conditions/rules:

Code:
            DocumentRoot /path/to/my/site/

RewriteEngine on
            RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/vbcms/$1     -f
            RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/$1                !-f
            RewriteRule ^(.*)$          /vbcms/$1 [L]

RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/vbcms/$1     -d
            RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/$1                !-d
            RewriteRule ^(.*)$          /vbcms/$1      [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/vbcms.*
            RewriteRule ^(.*)$          http://www.mysite.com/content.php [L]
            Here any code residing at the site root rather than in the /vbcms folder will override the code in /vbcms, so one has to be mindful to not accidentally override vBulletin CMS code. But this makes upgrading/maintenance of the vB CMS code a lot easier especially if the site contains much non-vB CMS code.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X