Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chewbacca
    replied
    Maybe vBulletin.com is experimental, but I think the rest wait for the test results or just plain don't "upgrade". Some are still 3.x...

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    I think the Internet Brands boards are the real guinea pigs. Let them go first! lol.
    http://www.internetbrands.com/our-brands/

I'm waiting to see what 4.1 brings.
    Last edited by Alfa1; Tue 22nd Jun '10, 5:51am.

Leave a comment:

• ZexTasy
    replied
    One thing I miss in the style generator is settings colors based on their RGB code ... how am I gonna figure out the exact matching color to images I use on the site? Am I missing something?? I can edit all of those stylevars, but that is a lot of work ...

Leave a comment:

• Daniel.P
    replied
    It would have been useful as well if the vb team had made the post icons transparent pngs with just a the 3d effects on them, so you could actually change the colours of the post icons to suit the rest of your forum too.
    Good suggestion

Style to the generator has problems and limitations but is a very good start - an idea I liked it a lot.
    Do not many extras, few settings, but with time I hope this will change.

I also managed to frequently updated my forum without any problem.
    but before that I tested a few times - I had a problem at several levels of update, and once they decided the original update went without a problem.

I have 1.2 million posts, 70,000 users, 30 GB attachments
    not much, but still update took about 24 hours.

Leave a comment:

• Bergler
    replied
    Well, I have updated both my forums with out any major problems that I can find!! But the stress before hand was like flipping a coin for 10 G's!

Leave a comment:

• chewbacca
    replied
    I actually encountered it while changing the doctype. It wasn't as huge an issue for me as it might have been for others, but have some sympathy for less knowledgeable people.

Leave a comment:

• Dunhamzzz
    replied
    Originally posted by daniel_pet View Post
    style generator is a great idea - it is yet to develop guess I will have new features.
    Great for people misunderstanding CSS.
    Even for advanced users.
    generates its basic theme for 10 seconds and then her additions as you like.
    You obviously haven't used it yourself. Once you goto "fine tune", the live preview stops updating. And once you select "dark, white, grey" it then limits the colours you can edit?!

It would have been useful as well if the vb team had made the post icons transparent pngs with just a the 3d effects on them, so you could actually change the colours of the post icons to suit the rest of your forum too.

It's just another example of how they have rushed this out.

Leave a comment:

• Daniel.P
    replied
    style generator is a great idea - it is yet to develop guess I will have new features.
    Great for people misunderstanding CSS.
    Even for advanced users.
    generates its basic theme for 10 seconds and then her additions as you like.

Leave a comment:

• Dunhamzzz
    replied
    Wow I'm really glad I'm not the only person thinking this.

I did a test upgrade (first time I've even looked at vb since 4.0.1) and I was really hoping to upgrade at least 1 forums this time, but noooooooo.

Within 10 minutes I ran into the stylevars bug mentioned above - the funny thing is that I would never actually use this bastardised version of CSS, I'd just overwrite everything myself in my own stylesheet - all I wanted was test a temporary skin and to test the syle generator. Hah, and what a joke the style generator is! You can select 2 colours and it makes the rest of the decisions for you, going to "fine tune" means the preview doesn't update anymore! and by the time you save it to see what it looks like you can't go back to the generator! Genius.

Leave a comment:

• c.c.
    replied
    I wish I was at the point of laughing. I'm still on stage one of disbelief and anger that I went away from the soild build of 3.8.x

Leave a comment:

• audiokid
    replied
    what a bunch of BS having to be so worried that this thing will work each upgrade. I get so stressed, expecting my site will fry at any giving moment even after testing. What kind of software has this many potential disasters and so fragmented. Everyone has a different experience. Its hard to know if its individual servers and Mysql issues or what. Its a nightmare.

But when you do it, man its a relief and I guess that's part of the fun! Kind of like hitting that sweet spot when golfing in a bug infested swamp and onto the next hole .

I'm not complaining, its starting to become comical. Man I love this.

Leave a comment:

• Daniel.P
    replied
    Those that upgrade production without fully testing are taking a huge risk. Even the vb staff tells all admins to test everything thoroughly and to make a verified backup of your database and current production files before upgrading production.
    with the release of version 4 and renovations to it, has the following steps.
    1. installing the test server with all 1,000,000 posts and top.
    2. test at least two days in.
    3. give her a test of moderators and super moderators for several days.
    4. upload it to live.

very labor intensive and slow work.

I like VB 4 work but it was quite demanding for me.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn_E
    replied
    I'm kinda seeing a pattern... those that upgrade their existing production install have issues. But, to complete the guinea pig responsibilities what about those that uninstall / disable the mods, install vb fresh, and upgrade just the database. We need some of those guinea pigs. PS... you guys are testing your upgrades on a test box, right?

Those that upgrade production without fully testing are taking a huge risk. Even the vb staff tells all admins to test everything thoroughly and to make a verified backup of your database and current production files before upgrading production.

I'm not upgrading until I can successfully run through a couple of flawless test upgrades and I'm satisfied with all the CMS, Blog, Forum, etc. functions! I encourage everyone to do the same.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    With vb the way it is now, I'm starting to think that vb's bug season is so bad that even a photograph of a dog has ticks.

Leave a comment:

• chewbacca
    replied
    You're welcome too.

Also http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-7479 if you ever tweak certain stylevars.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X