No announcement yet.

[Solved] Migrating vB 4.0.3 from 2003 server IIS to Linux Ubuntu Apache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Suite] [Solved] Migrating vB 4.0.3 from 2003 server IIS to Linux Ubuntu Apache

It's nice to write about things done without problems once in a while, and write [Solved] on the first posting in the thread!

So here we go: I just migrated a vB 4.0.3 from a Win 2003 server with IIS to a Linux Ubuntu Apache server.

I simply zipped the old server file structure, backed up the database. Unzipped on the new server, restored the backup file. Donde! Working! No issues. What more can I say?

Maybe this posting was a waist of space, as things worked as they should, but I thought I'd let you know.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know!
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

I should make two comments to others who plan to migrate.

Before making a migration, make sure Attachment Storage Type is Databese n th ACP. If the files are stored in the normal file system, you may have problems with file paths. With the files stored in the database you should not have this problem.

So if the file attachments are on the file system, import them back into the database by changing the attachment data type to database before migrating and backing up files and data. This also applies to mods like DownloadsII and Project Tools and others add-ons that store file attachments and images.

If you plan your migration, you can do it with virtually zero downtime by using the same SQL server, at least temporarily.

Comment

Out of curiosity, is there a practical limit on the total size of attachments you would consider moving (back) into the database?
        Boat Design & Boat Building Forums

Comment

Originally posted by boatdesign View Post
          Out of curiosity, is there a practical limit on the total size of attachments you would consider moving (back) into the database?
          I don't know. I'd say the limit may be in the mySQL dB. From a copying point of view, if you are moving the files between a server anyway, it may be fairly equivalent to copy them in the dB file or as file system files. In my case, I only had around 500 atachements, images and pdfs, maybe 50Mb in total. It took less than a minute to import them from file system to dB.
          Last edited by janaf; Sat 5 Jun '10, 7:21am.

Comment

Why would you bother moving attachments back into the database? There is no issue leaving them in the file system as long as you also move them.

You just need to update the attachment path: AdminCP > Attachments > Attachment Storage Type > Move attachments in the file system (should be named update path).

Comment

Zacery, I am sure you are right that one can instead update the path this way. I just realized there where path problems and I could easily solve this by re-importing files to the dB. In my case it took a minute or two extra only. So either way should work.

There other path settings that need updating; The XML Sitemap file path is one and there may be others.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X