Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Suite] Creating a test site

Hi there,

I'm currently running version 4.0 PL1 and am looking to upgrade to the latest version of 4.0.2 PL3 but before I do this, I would like to setup a test site (identical to my production site) though using a different database so that any changes I make playing around won't update in my production environment.

Now I've created my test database, exported production and imported it into test. I then took a copy of all my production files and put them under a 'test' folder location on my hosts server. Both test and prod are working though when I make changes in test, the changes are filtering through to my test db as well.

Before anyone says anything, I have updated my config file to point to the my test database and made some changes in "admincp > Site Name / URL / Contact Details" though this doesn't seem to have helped me.

Is there something I'm missing? Does anyone have a guide on the best way to create a test database while production is setup on the same host? Do I need to run the install or update script?

Any help would be greatly appreciated people.

Cheers,
    Matt
    sigpic

Originally posted by [email protected]
    Now I've created my test database, exported production and imported it into test. I then took a copy of all my production files and put them under a 'test' folder location on my hosts server. Both test and prod are working though when I make changes in test, the changes are filtering through to my test db as well.
    Do you mean filtering through to your production db?
    To be updated...

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
      Do you mean filtering through to your production db?
      Yeah, that's what I meant sorry.
      sigpic

Comment

Do you use any type of caching system?

First recommendation is to delete your config.php and start with a new one (clean from the vBulletin download). Enter the details to connect to your test db.

The two common factors when this happens is incorrect settings in the config.php and/or the caching service is still enabled on the test site, but yet going to the production DB.
        To be updated...

Comment

Going to attempt that just as soon as my host changes my language on my Cpanel back to English (don't ask).

In the config file, do I need to set this up as a slave database or is it simply another master database?
          sigpic

Comment

Master database.

Make sure the database name and prefixes are specific to your test database. Don't set anything else in the config.php related to your database, except the master database connection information, db name [I assume it's not* named similar to your main database] and your table prefix, if you use one.

* lots of people name their test database similar to the main one and then make big mistakes...
            To be updated...

Comment

Names are similiar but distinguishable I think.. Production has '_forum' and Test has '_test' after the database names. I have the same user account setup to access both databases. Should these be separate user accounts? I don't get how that could cause the issue though.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                Names are similiar but distinguishable I think.. Production has '_forum' and Test has '_test' after the database names. I have the same user account setup to access both databases. Should these be separate user accounts? I don't get how that could cause the issue though.
                The user should not matter as long as that user has access rights to the target database(s).
                To be updated...

Comment

Figured out what was going on. The first time I changed the config file with the new db info, my user account wasn't setup in my new test db correctly (language settings were changed so was trying to create the account from memory and using googles tranlator) and once I did that, I went back and tried it again using the same config file but somewhere amongst copying the config files around, my last update was a different version of the file.

Anyways, long story short it's working now. Thanks for being a second set of eyes ENF.. Appreciate it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Not a problem at all. Good luck.
                    To be updated...

Comment

I'm actually in the process of writing up an article on creating a test site - should have it done in next couple of days...
                      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                      -
                      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                      - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                        I'm actually in the process of writing up an article on creating a test site - should have it done in next couple of days...
                        Have you finished your article?

Thanks

Comment

No, been run of my feet but will get to it over the weekend...
                          Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                          -
                          *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                          - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                            No, been run of my feet but will get to it over the weekend...
                            Any updates? Thanks again.

Comment