Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(vBulletin 4.0.1) to 4.0.2 patch confusion from a newbie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Forum] (vBulletin 4.0.1) to 4.0.2 patch confusion from a newbie!

I know the answer is here somewhere but my eyes are about to bleed from reading all day.
    I have had huge problems with my hosting and am about half mental.
    I see there is an update for VB from 4.0.1 and in my ACP it says Admin Control Panel (vBulletin 4.0.1).

Do I have to do a full reinstall as the file I downloaded is larger than the gold package I downloaded a little while back.

I am just learning this software and my knowledge is very limited. If there is a smaller patch I can apply please be so kind as to post a link to it for me.

Thank You for any help you give.

To upgrade to a different version number, you need to upload all the files (except includes/config.php.new and install/install.php) then navigate to install/upgrade.php and follow the onscreen instructions.

If you are just applying a patch to the version you are on (e.g. you are running 4.0.2 and want to go to 4.0.2 Patch Level 1), then all you do is upload the files and that's it.
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
      To upgrade to a different version number, you need to upload all the files (except includes/config.php.new and install/install.php) then navigate to install/upgrade.php and follow the onscreen instructions.

If you are just applying a patch to the version you are on (e.g. you are running 4.0.2 and want to go to 4.0.2 Patch Level 1), then all you do is upload the files and that's it.
      Thank you very much for the information!
      I think that I finally understand. I will do it step by step per your instructions. Do I have this correct .. Upload everything (except includes/config.php.new and install/install.php) then run the upgrade.php from inside the install folder since I am going from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2 Is my understanding correct?
      Thank you again for your assistance.

Comment

Yep. Last step is www.yoursite/forum/install/upgrade.php drop /forum/ from this url if you installed to your site root /

Comment

So it's pointless to rename and modify files since I will need to upload all newer version files every time for an upgrade?

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post

Comment

Not pointless but it's best to keep a log of your deviations from OEM if an upgrade breaks them.

Comment

Thanks to all!

Originally posted by melbo View Post
              Yep. Last step is www.yoursite/forum/install/upgrade.php drop /forum/ from this url if you installed to your site root /
              Thank You very much! Installed without any problems so far!

Comment

I have a similar question. I'm totally inexperienced in updating vbulletin software. I purchased the 4.0 suite and am still running 4.0.0 and did not apply the 4.0.1 nor the 4.0.2 updates yet but do have the newer 4.0.2 with the PL1 patch. If I understand correctly I can simply shut my board down to posters, FTP/upload everything in the PL1 patch in the UPLOAD folder except includes/config.new.php and install/install.php.

Second question. Not sure I understand the part about 'run' the upgrade.php. How does one 'run' a .php file? Do you simply point to that file in your browser such as http://yoursite.com/forums/install/upgrade.php and it 'runs'? I'm fairly good with .html but .php is another world.

What does one do with all the other upgrade_xxxx.php files?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I had someone help set up my forums initially and they did all the configuration and database creation. I'd like to continue to maintain it on my own but certainly don't want to screw something up the first time out.

Thanks
                Admin
                ChevelleStuff.com/Forums

Comment

Originally posted by a396guy View Post
                  I have a similar question. I'm totally inexperienced in updating vbulletin software. I purchased the 4.0 suite and am still running 4.0.0 and did not apply the 4.0.1 nor the 4.0.2 updates yet but do have the newer 4.0.2 with the PL1 patch. If I understand correctly I can simply shut my board down to posters, FTP/upload everything in the PL1 patch in the UPLOAD folder except includes/config.new.php and install/install.php.
                  No, the simple rules are:

If you're moving between version numbers (i.e. any of the version numbers change) then you need to do a full upgrade.

If you're moving to a Patch Level for the SAME version number (i.e. 4.0.2 to 4.0.2 Patch Level 1) then you just FTP the files in the PL folder (note you should be able to upload only the affected files without having to upload the complete download package)

Second question. Not sure I understand the part about 'run' the upgrade.php. How does one 'run' a .php file? Do you simply point to that file in your browser such as http://yoursite.com/forums/install/upgrade.php and it 'runs'? I'm fairly good with .html but .php is another world.

What does one do with all the other upgrade_xxxx.php files?
                  Just point your browser to http://yoursite.com/forums/install/upgrade.php. The upgrade script will determine which upgrade files need to be run and redirect to the correct one from there so you don't need to work out which to use.

Sorry for the dumb questions, I had someone help set up my forums initially and they did all the configuration and database creation. I'd like to continue to maintain it on my own but certainly don't want to screw something up the first time out.

Thanks
                  No problem at all, that's what the forums are here for!
                  Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                  -
                  *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                  - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                  - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X