Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can forum and testvb use the same database?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadioErewan
    replied
    Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra View Post
    Im not a guru at this, and I don't have a site anywhere near the size required for clustered servers -- but -- that's possibly 10's of gig's of attachments for a site that size just sitting in your DB and taking up database connections and database resources when they could be effortlessly served thru a file server. Ever notice database servers have hefty processors and file servers are P4's or simpler?
    Just remember what my server admin told me. There are tools already to scale up MySQL based server farm depending on your traffic. Even at hourly peaks (I was told Google does something like this). I am also noob in this area, but just asked him, why there is database storage for attachments in vB ;-)
    ps. Database storage is default vB setting IIRC. It is safe comparing to file storage (not possible to upload shell script and run it directly from DB)

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    Originally posted by RadioErewan View Post
    Hmmm, always considered database attachment storage as better for scalability, better for huge forums running clustered servers.
    Im not a guru at this, and I don't have a site anywhere near the size required for clustered servers -- but -- that's possibly 10's of gig's of attachments for a site that size just sitting in your DB and taking up database connections and database resources when they could be effortlessly served thru a file server. Ever notice database servers have hefty processors and file servers are P4's or simpler?

Leave a comment:

• melbo
    replied
    if you enter http://your-site/admincp with the /admincp at the end, it should take you in. Otherwise you can find the tools.php file in 'do not upload'. I think instructions are in the file? not sure but it will allow you to make these changes if you are totally locked out.

Leave a comment:

• RadioErewan
    replied
    The file system method is the preferred method but you have to chmod (changing the permissions of) the folders so vbulletin can place the uploaded files into them. Its not hard, but it can be a little overwhelming for more novice users. The benefits include a smaller database (which means faster backups and less database overhead).

Storing these items in the database is okay for a small site. The only real benefit is that the attachment items are included in your database backup. Of course, if they are in the file system - you can just use your ftp program to download those folders to your PC. Or use SSH first to zip them up then use ftp to download them.
    Hmmm, always considered database attachment storage as better for scalability, better for huge forums running clustered servers.

Leave a comment:

• SkyStryder
    replied
    I am trying to create a working copy of my existing forum so that I can
    test the upgrade process from 3.8.4 to 4.0.2 on a test copy. What is the
    best way to do this? The following details my attempts...

I am trying to create a vbtest but it is not working correctly.
    I made a complete duplicate of forum in vbtest. I created
    an exact copy of the database and gave it a new name.
    I modified config.php in vbtest to point to the copy of the database.
    It will start up but not allow me to login. There is a settings table in
    the database that specifies the forum path and cookie var. I did try changing it
    to the vbtest path but that was not enough. Obviously there must be more to it. 8-(
    There must be a ton of people trying this. Anyone successful?

add. Since I can't get logged into the ACP, I can't change the settings...
    Last edited by SkyStryder; Tue 23 Feb '10, 1:01pm. Reason: additional info

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    What are the benefits over in the file system opposed to the database?
    Easy to upload-download 100s of Megabytes with FTP from-to the file system.
    Hard to download-upload from-to the database.

Leave a comment:

• Dr House
    replied
    I found where move from SQL to filesystem.
    How I can set to write always to the filesystem instead SQL?

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

The file system method is the preferred method but you have to chmod (changing the permissions of) the folders so vbulletin can place the uploaded files into them. Its not hard, but it can be a little overwhelming for more novice users. The benefits include a smaller database (which means faster backups and less database overhead).

Storing these items in the database is okay for a small site. The only real benefit is that the attachment items are included in your database backup. Of course, if they are in the file system - you can just use your ftp program to download those folders to your PC. Or use SSH first to zip them up then use ftp to download them.

Leave a comment:

• M@tt
    replied
    make sure you are saving avatars, signatire pics, profile pics and attachments in the file system. Byeefaulg it's in the database

Leave a comment:

• YZFRydn
    replied
    Alright, I have looked around for a good tutorial on how to do this. This is what I understand so far.

I make a backup of my current DB, create a new DB and restore the backup to this new DB, then copy files from the forum root to the new folder and point the database to the new restored one?

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    make sure you are saving avatars, signatire pics, profile pics and attachments in the file system. Byeefaulg it's in the database

Leave a comment:

• Dr House
    replied
    I'll use a separate one, but I have to reduce it because there's not enought free space to have both.
    But I don't know how... (OT)

Leave a comment:

• borbole
    replied
    You are welcome. But if your hosting plan allows more than 1 database then it would be best to use a seperate one for your test forum.

Leave a comment:

• Dr House
    replied
    Clear!
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• borbole
    replied
    The problem with trying to use the same database is that there is no easy way to backup the live tables and reimport that data into the current database. And if you run into issues, its easier to wipe the test database and reimport the data for another clean trial. There is no reason not to create a second database for testing purposes. If you don't, most likely you screw something up and loose your live site and the test site. Not worth the risk imho.
    Technically you can use the same database for both forums. I did it myself before when I had a hosting plan with only one database limit. You can do it by having different prefixes for both forums. Then after you export the database of your live forum, you must open the sql file and change all the table prefixes to match those of the test forum, save the changes and then import it. It won''t affect the main database but the thing is that it is too much of a hassle to do it. The easiest way it would be to have 2 different databases for both forums. But if the OP is in a hosting plan that allows only one db than he can install both forums in the same db by doing what I described above.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X