3.8.4 to 4.0.1 Upgrade and Directory Movement Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Suite] 3.8.4 to 4.0.1 Upgrade and Directory Movement Questions

Hi…I am prepping to upgrade from 3.8.4 to the 4.0.1 CMS. Currently my forums reside in www.mysite.com/forums. I have been running VB 3.8 concurrent with Joomla 1.5. With this new CMS I am eliminating Joomla except for VirtueMart which will serve as my shop. Joomla has always resided in it’s own directory as well. In the root of Mysite I have routed using .htaccess to Joomla as the main page.

With the new 4.0 CMS I want to install that into my root Mysite directory, but I want to keep the forums where they are. I also want to keep my database intact. Does anyone have any recommendations as how to go about doing an upgrade like this??

My initial plan was to do this:

1. Backup the current database
    2. Create a new database
    3. Install 3.8.4 to the root of www.mysite.com
    4. Restore the backup database to the new database
    5. Rename www.mysite.com/forums to www.mysite.com/forumsold
    6. Upgrade the CMS 4.0 over the root

That seems like a right order and the thing to do, but I am not sure how to get the forums back into /forums. Would some guru give me direction here?

There are two other points that I am concerned with as well:
    1. In a test run in a PRIVATE test directory, the upgrade got to Step 9 and then my database gave an error about an image exceeding the size in kb. And it stopped cold. This was on a fresh install of 3.8.4 with a restored database that was working, with no mods installed in VB…trying to upgrade to 4.0.1.
    2. If I enable the SEO will my hardcoded links in posts that point to www.mysite.com/forums/forum.php? etc. still work?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, offers, aid, help, guidance, and well-wishes!

I am not one to usually BUMP but can anyone answer my question or do I need to clarify further?

Comment

It's not currently possible to split the CMS and Forums between different directories without modifying the files. I've certainly moved the index.php file to my root and left the full installation in the '/forums' directory on my server. Until the ability to run things in different directories comes out (or official instructions on how to do this), you could go for that option?
      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
      -
      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
      - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Thank you for that Trevor and this is to anyone and yourself.

I read here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...-Now-Available!

This:

• [CMS] Please put CMS in /index.php and FORUMS in /forums/index.php

As FIXED - am I reading this wrong or does this say that it is possible to do what I ask - to leave our forums in our forums directory - and that the CMS (which is supposed to be your front page - index.php) can be in the root directory?

Comment

Again, I really dislike bumping, but still a bit curious?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X