Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to substitue the entire website not only forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bitterwaitress
    replied
    wouldn't you have to make changes in the config.php settings after the move?

wouldn't it have been easier to do a domain redirect to the new VB suite folder?

Leave a comment:

• aleksander
    replied
    No sorry maybe I'm not explained well the actual situation:

Just install the suite from the start in the root folder so test.dpcgamers.com/
    If I make the upgrade I got that MYSQL error so I'm asking:

1. As this installation from the start works well, can I just import all the old forum database?= somehow?
    2. As now I have all in root, the forum thread are forum.php**** but I need them again like forum/forum.php****. Can I do this with mod re write?

I hope I've explained better now

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    The link (/forum/, /forums/, /cheesetoasties/ etc etc) doesn't really matter. Well, it sort of does, but you just update it in the new adminCP after you import the old database info.

If I understand correctly, you used to have, but now don't want anything in /forum/ ?

So, restore the old database, then go into the AdminCP and change the Home/Forum URLs to point to the new location.

(The screenshot you posted with the no-CSS style? Thats what I wanted a link to, it would have confirmed my almost 100% suspicion - you didn't update those URLs in the AdminCP after you uploaded and upgraded. They would have shown in the source of the page as pointing to the old location's /clientscript/ .. probably. )

Leave a comment:

• aleksander
    replied
    Originally posted by Ace View Post
    No man, it's not.

That URL has a /forum/ in it that makes it 404.
    http://test.dpcgamers.com/content.php
    http://test.dpcgamers.com/forum.php
    http://test.dpcgamers.com/blog.php

They all work.. I'm struggling to figure out what the problem is.
    Ace I just re-installed everything from the start that's why you see all working. But as you can see without the old forum data. So no upgrade only install.
    There's a way to import only forum data to this bran new installation?

Now the problem is only that I don't have /forum/ link so maybe I can fix this with mod rewrite?

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Originally posted by aleksander View Post
    Hi Ace,
    this is the link to the website: http://test.dpcgamers.com/forum/content.php
    No man, it's not.

That URL has a /forum/ in it that makes it 404.
    http://test.dpcgamers.com/content.php
    http://test.dpcgamers.com/forum.php
    http://test.dpcgamers.com/blog.php

They all work.. I'm struggling to figure out what the problem is.

Leave a comment:

• F4Flake
    replied
    this pretty much what I'm trying to figure out

Leave a comment:

• aleksander
    replied
    Any idea?
    Maybe there's a way to import only the data from the forum into a brand new installation of the Suite?

Leave a comment:

• aleksander
    replied
    Originally posted by Ace View Post
    Perhaps a link to your site would help.

That, and making sure you are telling all the facts. You said you performed the Upgrade earlier, but didn't mention until now that you didn't perform the CMS default install step.

Is the Database error you are getting really 'Cannot connect to database'? If it is, your Home link is going somewhere other than your vB install, which shouldn't happen on a default style.

If it isn't, and is actually something more like 'Cannot find table in database', the fact that you didn't install the CMS content makes a lot of sense.

Hi Ace,
    this is the link to the website: http://test.dpcgamers.com/forum/content.php
    All the rest is working except the CMS. The error is exactly as I said:
    Fatal error! Cannot connect to MySQL database:

But I can't understand why because the forum is working so is connected to the DB.
    I think I did al the steps of the installation except the one of filling the admin password to fill the CMS with data.
    Look the attachment

I haven't placed the user and installed the data but just go on to the next step.

is this right?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Originally posted by aleksander View Post
    I've installed all in the /forum folder. Everything's working well except the CMS. When I click on the HOME tab I got the same error: Fatal error! Cannot connect to MySQL database:

I've not installed the sample content of the CMS, maybe can this be a reason? I didn't cause I saw there's no way to delete some sections then or every content.

HELP!
    Perhaps a link to your site would help.

That, and making sure you are telling all the facts. You said you performed the Upgrade earlier, but didn't mention until now that you didn't perform the CMS default install step.

Is the Database error you are getting really 'Cannot connect to database'? If it is, your Home link is going somewhere other than your vB install, which shouldn't happen on a default style.

If it isn't, and is actually something more like 'Cannot find table in database', the fact that you didn't install the CMS content makes a lot of sense.

Leave a comment:

• aleksander
    replied
    I've installed all in the /forum folder. Everything's working well except the CMS. When I click on the HOME tab I got the same error: Fatal error! Cannot connect to MySQL database:

I've not installed the sample content of the CMS, maybe can this be a reason? I didn't cause I saw there's no way to delete some sections then or every content.

HELP!

Leave a comment:

• aleksander
    replied
    I've solved a single part of the problem. Placing the forum in the root directory means I don't have anymore /forum as my root. So change in the settings and now the forum and blog are working. The only thing still not working is the CMS.

if I click on the HOME tab I get this error:

Maybe is better if I just put the forum in the forum folder? But there's a chance that the CMS will be my index.php page instead of content.php?

Leave a comment:

• aleksander
    replied
    Ok I've done all the steps, but this is how my forum looks like (see attachment).

then if I click on CMS I get this error:

I had also VBSEO installed but I've disabled obviously and delete the .htaccess file.
    The style is the vb4.0 default style.

any idea?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    If you're moving everything to the root directory, you don't need the files in your forum directory. However, as people will have bookmarks to there, and for Search Engine rankings, you should add some redirects to there to ensure that:

1. Your users don't get 'Page cannot be found' errors and
    2. Search Engines continue to keep your ranking up.

Leave a comment:

• aleksander
    replied
    Hi trevor, I'll try and let you know. I think I did almost the same thing but I'll do it again with all the steps.

Can you please explain me this:
    - delete the contents of the /forum directory and replace with a redirect to your root directory

what you mean exactly?

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    I'd suggest:

- closing your forum via AdminCP
    - backup your database and files
    - disable all modifications/plugins/products (except vB Blog if installed)
    - update AdminCP > vBulletin Options > Site Name / URL / Contact Details to reflect the move to the root directory
    - delete the contents of the /forum directory and replace with a redirect to your root directory
    - upload vB4 files (remember to rename and update config.php.new) to root directory
    - run mysite.com/install/upgrade.php
    - check site
    - reopen site

Hope this helps

Leave a comment: