No announcement yet.

revert to 3.8.4 from 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is and always has been nearly impossible to downgrade between any versions.

Comment

I predict if vbulletin does not come up with a way to do this they will have a bunch of people moving to something else, with a bad vbulletin tast in their mouth, if we cannot revert.

I see ipboard has gotten so many requests they have made a converter from vbulletin 4 to ipboard. Maybe I can change to ipboard then from there to 3.8........unless I actually like ipb.
      Last edited by xsquid; Wed 27 Jan '10, 9:20am.

Comment

Why wouldn't a competitor have an importer for our software? We have one from theres and every day people are moving from IPB to vB.

Comment

Originally posted by cbiweb View Post
          The database structure, the PHP, the CSS and the HTML of 4.0 is way different than 3.x. What you're asking is similar to going back to analog TV while still expecting to get shows made for digital only.
          You GROSSLY overestimate the database differences between vBulletin 3.8 and vBulletin 4.

I predict that someone will write a converter.

Comment

They would, I did read there that there were a lot of people asking for it which is why I said it. You really don't see anything odd about that a month from the time vb4 went gold?

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
              You GROSSLY overestimate the database differences between vBulletin 3.8 and vBulletin 4.

I predict that someone will write a converter.
              You grossly misunderstood my post. I realize a converter can be written, but a straight-out, unaided reversion from 4.0 down to 3.8 isn't possible.
              ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

On a database level, what's the difference? I always assumed that an upgrade merely added more columns to a database.

(Yes, this is a real question, I'm not just being a smartass.)
                s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

Originally posted by s0lidgr0und View Post
                  On a database level, what's the difference? I always assumed that an upgrade merely added more columns to a database.

(Yes, this is a real question, I'm not just being a smartass.)
                  There were major changes made in the way attachments were stored since they are no longer only associated with posts. They actually took the attachment table and imported it into a new table (filedata) and redid the structure for the attachment table. Tags were also redone. The vb3 queries for attachments and tags will no longer work (OK, I haven't tested them all, but of the plugins I had that accessed attachments and tags, all queries had to be redone).

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                  vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                  Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                  If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by xsquid View Post
                    I predict if vbulletin does not come up with a way to do this they will have a bunch of people moving to something else, with a bad vbulletin tast in their mouth, if we cannot revert.

I see ipboard has gotten so many requests they have made a converter from vbulletin 4 to ipboard. Maybe I can change to ipboard then from there to 3.8........unless I actually like ipb.
                    You wont like IPB if you don't like VB 4.0. It is similar, but the IPB is not working as good at VB. I know, I own both. My members had the choice between the two and NOBODY wanted IPB.

Comment

Well nobody wants vb4, maybe I can convert to ipb then to vb3.8.

Comment

Let us know how you make out.
                        s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

Originally posted by xsquid View Post
                          maybe I can convert to ipb then to vb3.8.
                          Great idea.

Comment

Well, I thoght it was a good idea. I'm having problems converting to ipb.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X