No announcement yet.

Very Intimidated (vBulletin newbie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Suite] Very Intimidated (vBulletin newbie)

Hello! I fear that I am in waaaay over my head at this point. I purchased the vBulletin Suite because I was really impressed with the feature list. I have been using a Simple Machines board to interact with my clients, but I have really needed a CMS for sometime and it looks like the vBulletin Suite is the answer. However, I am so confused over how to do back-ups, restores, and upgrades. Have I completely overlooked a user manual for the Suite? The only user manual I can see is labeled 3.0.

Also, is there a readme doc for the 4.0.1 upgrade that is specifically for upgrading Suite 4.0.0 to Suite 4.0.1? The readme with the download just seems to have instructions for other versions/situations and leaves me without confidence in the process.

The online manual contains insrtuctions on how to backup and restore here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/appendix_3

Upgrading from 4.0.0 to 4.0.1 is just the same as any other upgrade but revised instructions have been posted here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/conte...e-Instructions
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
    - "Quick Route" Interface...
    - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

is very simple vbulletin...trust me
      vBulletin Services I offer: www.Todo10.com
      Technical vB/Server/Hosting support Service also!

Comment

It is a lot easier than it seems. There is lots of help if you get stuck, providing you back up everything you can have as many goes as it takes to get it right.

Comment

Bethany,

trust the process until it actually fails you! The documentation for the install process is pretty much the same across the 3x release and the 4x release, (witht eh exception of the CMS stuff which is relatively new and on which we're still waiting for effective doco's). Like you I was a complete newbie to all this just a few short weeks ago, now I'm pretty confident in what I'm doing although I'm still learning. Sometimes the only way to progress is to just jump in and start wading. And to be honest when I got going with it it was surprisingly easy.

If at all possible have a test rig somewhere to trial everything on before you upload it to your live site. I have a windows-based webserver in my office on which I run my test rig and I try everything out on that before I go live with it. If that's not possible for you then make sure you do backups, as per the links above, before you do anything at all on your live site. Good luck!

Also, the support team here are a really helpful bunch of folks and will go that extra mile to help you get your system up and running effectively. I've used them a few times now and, even though I've asked a few dumb questions or not thought something through before asking, they have always been extremely courteous, polite and very helpful. Can't say enough good things about them really, especially when you see some of the stuff they have to put up with around here!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X