Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Suite OR Forum] How 2 Guide - Backups, Upgrades, and Recovery!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JChaz
    replied
    I've just done a test post on your demo site. I have to say, I do like the way it works. My forum is heavily dependant on images being uploaded as per my test. I found the image upload and insert very familiar, very much like the way its done in Wordpress with many more options available to the user. Layout is very much the same and embedding video clips (seen on another test post) looks very much the same. I'm liking what I see.

Leave a comment:

• JChaz
    replied
    Thanks Mark. I have in mind that being stuck on vB4 means the forum is going no-where dreading water with no vision and slowly losing functionality. If vB5 changes things cosiderably, maybe that could be what we need. I've looked at the Demo in your signature and looks good. I think I could strip out articles from the CMS (wordpress) and put them into a vB5 site. I notice there is some sort of upgrade tool that might help with vB4 to vB5?

Would still ask if there is a decent upgrade guide for vB4 - as always the first time doing something is difficult, once I've done something once I'm usually OK with it.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    A 'clean install' means a blank database with no posts, as if you have never had a forum before, so you can't have a clean install and keep your posts and members.

You should consider what you want to achieve with an upgrade. An upgrade to vB5 won't magically fix broken things, but vB5 is a very different product to vB4 and your forum will change considerably. If your only issue is that some of the vB4 functionality broke due to a php upgrade, then at this stage you should consider upgrading to 4.2.5. This will work with php 5.6, php 7.0 or php 7.1 (but NOT php 7.2).

Leave a comment:

• JChaz
    replied
    I know this is a very old thread, but I'm new to this and need to upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.2.5 as the host has upgraded PHP to 5.6.30 and its broken a few things like images inserting in posts but then repeated at the bottom of teh post as "attached images" having scrolled through the forum, seems its PHP version upgrade thats done it.

OK, so I'd love to upgrade to the latest version 5, which I can, licensed to do so, but this will be a first upgrade for me after looking after the forum for a while. Is there a good step by step guide still available somewhere as the links in this and other threads of help seem to be either dead links or out of date (like my forum clearly) information.

I'm also considering moving to cloud version - the thing thats stopping me is that I don't want to lose the forum posts, but want a clean install.

Leave a comment:

• Ekshi
    replied
    wow wery nice

Leave a comment:

• TheLastSuperman
    replied
    Originally posted by TANKSALOT View Post
    Is there a thread that explains set by set how to upgrade from v4.1.10 to v4.1.12?
    Or is the info in this thread going to work for me?

Thanks,
    Steve
    This was actually written when 4.x was first released and is intended for 3.x to 4.x upgrades and issues etc. You should refer to this https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...your-4-0-Forum

HOWEVER here are some newer links by staff w/ tons of helpful information, you can view quite a few CMS articles regarding upgrades here:
    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/cont...nstall-Upgrade

Leave a comment:

• TANKSALOT
    replied
    Is there a thread that explains set by set how to upgrade from v4.1.10 to v4.1.12?
    Or is the info in this thread going to work for me?

Thanks,
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Please start your own thread with a full description of the problem

Leave a comment:

• rhoula
    replied
    Please help me Threads not showing

I upgraded to VB 4.0 the new version looks excellent but the the threads are not showing on my forum. It's showing how many members we have but it's not showing the threads and posts. Please Help.

BTW: I made the upgrade over two months ago, before I read this thread. The Forums have been closed since then.

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• TheLastSuperman
    replied
    Apologies for the delayed reply however yes it's perfectly do-able .

1. Close the live forum.
    2. Backup the database and file system.
    *Remember you can preview your new site by modifying your "host" file and or by using the direct IP of the new server to check things out.
    3. Create a new blank/empty database on the new server, assign a user with full permissions to it.
    4. Import the Database backup you made earlier into the new empty database.
    5. Upload the files.
    6. Update the config.php file to let it know the new Database name, username and password for the user you associated with it., now upload it and overwrite the old file.
    7. Test... is it working?
    8. ^ If yes then leave the live site off on the old/current server, now go update your nameserver info for your domains and or update the IP addresses etc. *If no please post below*
    9. Wait for the DNS changes to fully propagate then turn the forum back on. *To test propagation I typically upload a index123.html a blank page to the new site, type in your current URL i.e. http://www.mysite.com/index123.html and when that page refreshes and is a blank screen or shows your contents on screen you know on your end at least that it has propagated.
    10. Done! *Unless you changed servers AND domain i.e. website names then you need to update the forums URL in your AdminCP > Settings > Options > "Site Name / URL / Contact Details" other than that if you experience login issues you will need to run tools.php and reset your cookies.*

Post any ?'s below .

*Related info; http://webhosting.devshed.com/c/a/We...-take-so-long/ and http://ezinearticles.com/?DNS-Propag...Hours&id=93820
    Last edited by TheLastSuperman; Sun 28th Nov '10, 9:57am.

Leave a comment:

• hawkfire
    replied
    I would like to transfer my forum to a different server that already hosts another site of mine.
    The forum would be a add on domain, in a subdirectory of the new server.

Is this do-able?

And as is my first time that i ever done a transfer of sites between servers, can anyone list the steps that i need to follow ?

Thank you...

Leave a comment:

• TheLastSuperman
    replied
    Originally posted by rnmcd View Post
    Thanks a great deal!!!

If it goes as smoothly as your steps above I'll let you know, thelastsuperman.

Is there an advantage of running update counters after the upgrade versus before, just curious.
    No sense updating them if you have not "stirred up the muck at the bottom of the pond, making the water cloudy" basically. If your forum is very small then you could possibly skip that step however if your not seeing all posts in a search result by a member or something seems a little off simply check the options and update the counters you deem necessary to remedy the "little off" behavior.

Leave a comment:

• rnmcd
    replied
    Thanks a great deal!!!

If it goes as smoothly as your steps above I'll let you know, thelastsuperman.

Is there an advantage of running update counters after the upgrade versus before, just curious.

Leave a comment:

• TheLastSuperman
    replied
    Originally posted by rnmcd View Post
    Are there any guides as useful as this one for upgrading from 3.6.8 to the most recent 3.8.x version?
    Well I can sum it up real quick in a few steps:

1. Turn off the forum.
    2. Backup the Database and the entire /forum folder i.e. all the vbulletin files.
    3. Disable plugins via config.php (see the first post in this thread for the code to add).
    4. Upload the vBulletin 3.8.6 PL1 files into the forum directory which in turn overwrites the old 3.6 files.
    5. Run the upgrade script.
    6. Depending on size of your database and number of members/post you might want to update the counters (AdminCP left column under Maintenance just be careful not to update one that will for example reset your statistics completely etc).
    7. Enable the mods again by removing the code from config.php, if any errors after this disable each mod one by one in the product manager until the error disappears, then you know which mod was the culprit.
    8. Make a test post as admin while the forum is still turned off, if it works no errors etc then see below.
    9. Turn the forum on!

*Any style issues will need to be addressed for example 3.6 to 3.8 means you now have Albums and more so you might need to update the style manually or check and see if there is an updated version for 3.8.x out now.

Done!

Leave a comment:

• rnmcd
    replied
    Are there any guides as useful as this one for upgrading from 3.6.8 to the most recent 3.8.x version?

Leave a comment: