Installing 4.0 Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Suite] Installing 4.0 Gold

The more I read the more scared I get. I am running 3.8.4 with few mods and styles. Can I just install 4.0 Gold as a separate installation with a blank database and then when I see that the install was successful then can I just point the config.php to the original MySQL DB? Man this reminds me of DOS 6.0....."Take my hand, I'm a stranger in paridise". some lyrics for levity.

Happy New Year everyone and thanks.
    Stress: The overwhelming desire to choke the s*@t out of someone.

You won't be able to just point 4.0 at a 3.8.x db as there are some db changes that get made by the upgrade script. I upgraded my heavily modded 3.8.4 board with only one issue (which was my own fault as i didn't fully diasable one mod).

It's always best to practice first on a test forum imo as if anything goes wrong it's not a huge issue, but you will need to make sure all your mods are disabled completely otherwise you will get errors, your 3.8.x styles won't work either on vb4

Comment

Upgrading

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      You won't be able to just point 4.0 at a 3.8.x db as there are some db changes that get made by the upgrade script. I upgraded my heavily modded 3.8.4 board with only one issue (which was my own fault as i didn't fully diasable one mod).

It's always best to practice first on a test forum imo as if anything goes wrong it's not a huge issue, but you will need to make sure all your mods are disabled completely otherwise you will get errors, your 3.8.x styles won't work either on vb4
      I did it. I created a new directory vbtest and a db called vbtest and set the config to point to the new database. The package installed beautifully. All generic as sold. Now what I think you are saying is that all I need to do now is make sure I uninstall ALL MODS and add on STYLES from 3.8 and then I can point the new system to the original db and recapture all the 3.8 information i.e forums and members. Right?

Thanks for the response. Have a Great New Years

Don

Comment

No, i think that what is being said is that the database structure changes and therefore you need to allow VB 4.0 to create the tables for the database for the 4.0 installation. In which case you need to make a database dump from your current db, then upload it to the new waiting database.

I was looking for an answer to the same question and so will be interested to see if I have understood this correctly!

Comment

Originally posted by karlin View Post
          No, i think that what is being said is that the database structure changes and therefore you need to allow VB 4.0 to create the tables for the database for the 4.0 installation. In which case you need to make a database dump from your current db, then upload it to the new waiting database.

I was looking for an answer to the same question and so will be interested to see if I have understood this correctly!
          I appreciate the help but like you I will wait until [email protected] or someone gives me a more positive direction. I think I have become over cautious for this version, because of all the horror stories I have been reading. But if I don't get something positive I am going in for the kill (LOL) and try what you have suggested and BTW which makes sense. So we'll both give it a day or so. Thanks again.

Don

Comment

When I upgraded from 3.8.2,...

(first first,.. I did a full dbase, theme, and core code backup, independantly)

First I uninstalled ALL mods except the vBblog.... (Some features I miss, but some I dont, so no biggie)

Then I cleansed the database to bring it exactly to my version database structure. (there is a vb org mod to help with identifying which db fields and tables are non-oem)

Then I pulled everyone back to the oem vB 3.8.2 theme... (I kept a copy installed and untouched)

Then I uploaded the files and ran the upgrade.php

For the most part, all went well. (a couple of directories had to have permissions changed to work properly in install)

Since then, I have been doing the adminCP tweaks and some other minor changes, but so far so good.

Comment

You will not have any success if you modify a v3.8.4 config.php to connect to a v4 database.

You have tested a fresh default install of v4, but your real concern is upgrading a v3.8.4 system to v4.

If I were in your position, I would delete the v4 database that you created and create an empty db with the same name, same userid and password (doing this means you don't have to change config.php)
              Now take a backup of your v3.8.4 database and restore it into the new DB you created for v4.

Before you start though you will need to disable all of the products and plugins,
              Originally posted by Lynne View Post
              Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit /includes/config.php and add this line right under <?php

PHP Code:
              define('DISABLE_HOOKS'true); 
              Now you are ready to run the upgrade.php script on your test forum.

Once it's complete, you will have all the members and posts of your v3.8.4 running in v4.
              Be aware though, your old styles will no longer work, and many of your mods will not work.
              You will need to open admincp and disable products and plugins before removing the line you added to config.php. Until you do this, CMS and Blogs will be disabled.

Then you can start to sort things out, keep a note of things that you change/fix/improve, as it's the process you will need to follow when you upgrade your live forum.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by S1OPP View Post
                You will not have any success if you modify a v3.8.4 config.php to connect to a v4 database.

You have tested a fresh default install of v4, but your real concern is upgrading a v3.8.4 system to v4.

If I were in your position, I would delete the v4 database that you created and create an empty db with the same name, same userid and password (doing this means you don't have to change config.php)
                Now take a backup of your v3.8.4 database and restore it into the new DB you created for v4.

Before you start though you will need to disable all of the products and plugins,

Now you are ready to run the upgrade.php script on your test forum.

Once it's complete, you will have all the members and posts of your v3.8.4 running in v4.
                Be aware though, your old styles will no longer work, and many of your mods will not work.
                You will need to open admincp and disable products and plugins before removing the line you added to config.php. Until you do this, CMS and Blogs will be disabled.

Then you can start to sort things out, keep a note of things that you change/fix/improve, as it's the process you will need to follow when you upgrade your live forum.

Good Luck
                Okay ... now this sounds like information I can use. The one thing that really confused me was the difference between upgarde.php and install.php. I was thinking that like past upgrades you just upload the new version and overwrite the previous files and then run upgrade. Then I read that the new suite was a complete program and you can install a completely new installation. I never thought of running the upgrade.php after I uploaded the original DB. Although I have upgraded many versions and I can do it blind folded, I must admit I was slightly less confident with this version. The way you explain it has restored my confidence. Thank you very much for your help in this matter.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by smirkley View Post

Then I cleansed the database to bring it exactly to my version database structure. (there is a vb org mod to help with identifying which db fields and tables are non-oem)
                  Do you remember what the name of the MOD was that helped identify non-oem?

Thanks
                  Don

Comment

S1OPP...... It worked sort of. I didn't get any errors but I did get a very discombobulated CMS template. All verbage displayed in a one column pile and no structure. Also the Forums would not display at all, but I think I do know why. During the upgrade I noticed default style was not compatable. I had edited the header on the default style to accomindate a larger LOGO sometime ago. Would that by its self cause these problems? I am sure I will have to get rid of that. In the mean time can you think of anything else that would make the system look like it was on LSD

Thanks for all your help.

Don

Comment

The vB4 upgrade script marks all previous styles as incompatible and installs a new default style. Delete all previous styles and leave the default one in there. Does this force the style to look correct?
                      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                      -
                      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                      - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X