To Root or Not to Root

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Suite] To Root or Not to Root

That is the question alright - is there any reason why I would not install the suite into my root directory???
    Go ahead, root is fine
    88.89%
    No, put in into domain.com/forums/ as the instructions say
    0.00%
    It honestly doesn't matter
    11.11%

Just had a thought - if I back up my database from the site that's currently in the root directory and then restore to a site that's not in the root directory, will that cause a problem????

Comment

Shouldn't as long as you update the URL settings in AdminCP.
      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
      -
      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
      - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

I put mine in the root. Update your cp URL

I wanted the CMS page to come up first.
        Had a small problem where for some reason not all the css files uploaded so messed up the looks of the page.
        I also tried just mapping the URL to the forums directory, but that didn't work

I believe they might be working on a way to leave the CMS in the root and then the rest of your files in another directory (.i.e forum)

Comment

ok my vb3.8 was installed under domain.com/forum, now i want to move to root and have the cms serves as main page, what should i do?

can i just simple upload vb4.0 and start upgrading ?

thanks

Comment

where you install it is up to you
            -- Web Developer for hire
            ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

can you set the CMS as homepage by default?

Comment

Originally posted by kevinnet View Post
                ok my vb3.8 was installed under domain.com/forum, now i want to move to root and have the cms serves as main page, what should i do?

can i just simple upload vb4.0 and start upgrading ?

thanks
                I'd suggest:

- closing your forum via AdminCP
                - backup your database and files
                - disable all modifications/plugins/products (except vB Blog if installed)
                - update AdminCP > vBulletin Options > Site Name / URL / Contact Details to reflect the move to the root directory
                - delete the contents of the /forum directory and replace with a redirect to your root directory
                - upload vB4 files (remember to update config.php)
                - run mysite.com/install/upgrade.php
                - check site
                - reopen site

Hope this helps
                Vote for:

-

Comment

I fail to see why it's worth the effort to move a working installation to the home directory when a single line in a .htaccess file in the home directory would redirect all traffic to the sub forum.
                  Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

I agree, that's how my own site works but if people want to do it that way...
                    Vote for:

-

Comment

Well perhaps people only want to do it that way because they aren't educated on how redirection works. It might not hurt to make a blog entry somewhere explaining the sheer simplicity of re-direction, and when people start asking about moving their entire site to their home directory you could just point them to the blog entry and say "just do this". Nothing against you Trevor, but post number 8 was a literal explanation to a question rather than a logical explanation. The simple answer could have been to create a .htaccess file in your home directory and add this line to it... Poor fellow has probably got his forum shut down now frantically doing backups, deleting files, re-uploading them to the home directory, reinstalling, etc, etc, etc... when the whole problem could have been solved in about fifteen seconds with a .htaccess redirect.
                      Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

stupid me, i'm in trouble now

the upgrade went fine, but now when trying to login the admin panel, i got this :

Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3895

Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3895

also this:

Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
                        File: /home/tronhoc/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php
                        Line: 4372

the main forum is not even working

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING in /home/domain/public_html/forum/includes/functions.php(5331) : eval()'d code on line 1

any ideas?
                        Last edited by kevinnet; Wed 30 Dec '09, 1:03pm.

Comment

Sorry this went south on you Kevin. Hopefully Trevor will be back on soon to help you isolate your trouble. Based on his instructions in post 8, that error message shouldn't be possible if you've actually moved the entire site up one level from the forum directory, but I can't vouch for that without looking at the structure.

Comment

i've managed to gain access to admin cp by disabling hook (config.php)

it was caused by bad mods not working with vb4.0. I disabled them all and my site is now working again

thank you

Comment

Disable all modifications/plugins/products (except vB Blog if installed) - the one most people seem to be missing out despite it being all over the forums...
                              Vote for:

-

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X