Upgrading from 3.8.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Suite] Upgrading from 3.8.4

Can someone just clear this up for me for once! I am totally confused as to how to upgrade to 4.0... Is it as simple as following the instructions included in the readme:

Upgrading from vBulletin 3.8.4

Close your board via the Admin Control Panel.
    Upload all files from the 'upload/' folder in the zip, with the exception of 'install/install.php'. Then open the 'upload/includes/' folder.
    Open your browser and point the URL to http://www.example.com/forum/install/upgrade.php (where www.example.com/forums/ is the URL of your vBulletin). You should now be automatically forwarded to the appropriate upgrade script and step.
    Follow the instructions on the screen. Make sure you click next step or proceed until you are redirected to your Admin Control Panel. Here, you can reopen your board.
    For a complete description of how to upgrade from a previous version of vBulletin to the latest version, see the upgrade section of the vBulletin Manual.
    this is no different than all the other upgrade procedures, so I shouldn't get any errors right?

The upgrade process hasn't changed. So, provided you've disabled all modifications/plugins/products and your server meets the minimum requirements, you should be OK
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Okay, this is what I am planning on doing, let me know if this plan is good to go:

- Backup Database + Files
      - Delete EVERYTHING OFF SERVER
      - Install fresh copy of 3.8.4 PL2
      - Restore Database
      - Upgrade to 4.0 PL1

I have products/plugins but some I don't need so I am taking this opportunity to just start from scratch and re-install only the ones that support vb4.0 AFTER upgrading to 4.0

How does that sound?

Comment

Here's what I did (yours with a tweak). You may wish to run this on a test copy first to make sure all is right:

- Disable/uninstall all modifications/plugins/products
        - Backed up Database again!
        - Delete all vB files off server
        - Upload 4.0 files
        - Run upgrade script

It may be worth checking your database using the followig tool from www.vbulletin.org:

Table and Field Comparison Utility: Compare your database to out-of-the-box vBulletin

If you have any additional tables from the default, either double check them here first or rename them before running the upgrade script
        Vote for:

-

Comment

Cool, thanks! I will try this later on tonight.

Comment

Ok I am having second thoughts..... I am thinking to upgrade when 4.0.2 comes out since they say it's a "major" release.. should I wait till then or just be a step ahead and modify the 4.0 site to my liking now? Will the 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 releases be just like others where you upgrade by uploading files and run upgrade script???

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
              Here's what I did (yours with a tweak). You may wish to run this on a test copy first to make sure all is right:

- Disable/uninstall all modifications/plugins/products
              - Backed up Database again!
              - Delete all vB files off server
              - Upload 4.0 files
              - Run upgrade script
              Pardon, if I am asking naive question. If you delete all the VB 3.0 files from the server and upload just 4.0 how the upgrade script work? How it detects the presence of DBase from ver 3.8.4?

Thank you in advance.

EB

Comment

Originally posted by EuroBeat View Post
                Pardon, if I am asking naive question. If you delete all the VB 3.0 files from the server and upload just 4.0 how the upgrade script work? How it detects the presence of DBase from ver 3.8.4?

Thank you in advance.

EB
                ttt because I have the same question

Comment

Originally posted by EuroBeat View Post

Thank you in advance.

EB

hmmm this is interesting... I guess we just overwrite all the old files, just like previous upgrade procedures?

Comment

Deleting and uploading files has no effect on the database, it's a completely separate entity. When you upgrade, instructions are to upload the new version files overwriting the existing ones. If you're moving servers, why upload the 3.8.4 files only to upload the 4.0 files and overwrite them anyway? And given some of the issues we've seen from files not uploading and overwriting correctly, why take the chance on a corrupted upload?
                    Vote for:

-

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                      Deleting and uploading files has no effect on the database, it's a completely separate entity. When you upgrade, instructions are to upload the new version files overwriting the existing ones. If you're moving servers, why upload the 3.8.4 files only to upload the 4.0 files and overwrite them anyway? And given some of the issues we've seen from files not uploading and overwriting correctly, why take the chance on a corrupted upload?
                      Thank you for your explanation. Another question I would have is where all the board settings are stored? Are they all part of DB files? I am also trying to understand how the process of upgrading works. I have several modifications and database has additional tables that were created by mods in addition I have BLOG. Are those tables ignored during the upgrade and only one needed for ver 4.0 are processed?

Thank you in advance.

EB

Comment

All settings are stored in the database.

Some modifications will cause problems because they've created tables with the same name that vB4 will try and create and insert data to. See this thread for details on the problems and the tables that will be impacted:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ate-Key-errors
                        Vote for:

-

Comment

I upgraded from 3.8.4 and i have these errors

Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3895

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in [path]/includes/class_bootstrap.php(1133) : eval()'d code on line 1

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in [path]/includes/class_bootstrap.php(1133) : eval()'d code on line 5

Any ideas?

Comment

Please start your own thread...
                            Vote for:

-

Comment

subscribing....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X