Email problem after server move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email problem after server move

I just moved my forum running 3.8.11 to a new host and am having issues with the automatic emails. Nothing is going through, no reported posts, activation emails or PM notifications.
    The email on the new host is working for the domain, I've tested both full email accounts and forwarders and they are working fine.
    I've looked at the email settings, the smtp address is right as is the port, at least it's what the new host company said to use.
    I've got the 'no reply' account's username listed, there's no password available to enter since 'no reply' is what the host calls a 'Garbage Account'. It sends but incoming emails are immediately deleted.

Do I need to get some kind of generic password for the no reply address from the host? Am I missing a setting in another area? Why am I wearing these socks with this shirt?

The next step in this campaign to modernize is updating to 5.7.3 but not until I get the bugs worked out after the move.

Bugs in 3.8.11 are pretty irrelevant to upgrading to vBulletin 5. You're not going to be keeping any of those code files. You could be experiencing issues simply because your version of PHP is newer than what 3.8.11 supports. With vBulletin 5, there have been over 20,000 changes to the code including thousands of bug fixes in the decade since it was released.

The "no-reply" email address does not need a password. vBulletin adds this to the header of outgoing emails and it does not send email using it. It just tells every email client that it should send replies to that email instead of the email listed in the from field.

What does the email diagnostic in the AdminCP state? Maintenance → Diagnostics → Email Diagnostic.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

This is what I'm getting from the diagnostic":
      The mailing function returned an error while trying to send the mail.
      The following errors were outputted by PHP when attempting to send mail:

PHP User Warning: 554 Unexpected response from SMTP server during TO address transmission in ..../includes/class_mail.php on line 612

The server is running PHP version 5.6.40.

'Bugs' is probably the wrong word, I have done updates and upgrades on too many systems ans programs that carried over wrong settings or bad entries and caused problems. I want to minimize any of that by having things running smoothly first.

Comment

Doing a quick websearch shows that something is wrong in the from/to headers that the webserver doesn't like. However, some servers like Xfinity say it is because the sending server isn't like and cPanel says an email may be blacklisted. Verify with the SMTP provider that the username and password are correct. Make sure that your server meets their requirements including things like RDNS and DMARC settings in your DNS records.

This appears to be a server configuration, setting issue rather than an issue with the software itself.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X