Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appologise. Im not a newbie with this stuff but im also not an expert

Comment

You really can't get around this without changing variables on the server. You have to force newer software to work with vBulletin 3.8.11. On older servers, vBulletin 3.8.X would use MyISAM tables. They wouldn't have this problem. In MySQL 5.6, the default table engine was switched to INNODB which does this have this problem. If you set your database server to use MyISAM as the default engine, then you should be able to install the software without changing any other variables for MySQL. I can't make any guarantees on that though. If that doesn't work, you can try MySQL 5.5 if the hosting provider allows it.

The fact of the matter is you're using software that is 15 years old (vBulletin 3 was released in 2004) and was not developed for modern servers. While we have patched and fixed bugs to try and update it, the architecture hasn't changed and new versions of Server software are also updating and patching issues. The software has been end of life for over a year now. Issues like this are going to become more prevalent going forward as hosting companies update their servers. For instance, PHP 7.1 reaches end of life in 5 days (December 1st, 2019). This means that hosting providers will start upgrading to more secure versions of PHP.

If this is a new community, why the aversion to vBulletin 5? You have a license. It will work better on newer servers, has hundreds of new features, is easier to customize, modern, works on mobile devices, etc...
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I checked phpMyadmin. The tables are MyISAM

Comment

Your hosting provider needs to step in here. a 250 byte string can take between 250 and 1000 bytes to index. We can't change this. They need to set the variables so that longer keys are allowed.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Is there a command I can run on phpmyadmin for MySQL? Something like
            --innodb-large-prefix[={OFF|ON}

?
            Last edited by sexypbobb; Wed 27 Nov '19, 5:39pm.

Comment

I got a dedicated server. Would i be able to update this variable myself like i mentioned in my previous post?
              Last edited by sexypbobb; Wed 27 Nov '19, 9:24pm.

Comment

Yes. It is part of your MySQL configuration. I linked to the MySQL documentation on it above.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment