Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MySQL Error : Table './politicalwrinkles/vbpost' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MySQL Error : Table './politicalwrinkles/vbpost' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed

At 5:39 yesterday morning, I started to get spammed with hundreds of emails from my forum (politicalwrinkles.com)...There was no maintenance or upgrading of any kind beng performed...Example

Database error in vBulletin 3.8.7:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT post.*,
    IF(post.visible = 2, 1, 0) AS isdeleted,

editlog.userid AS edit_userid, editlog.dateline AS edit_dateline, editlog.reason AS edit_reason, editlog.hashistory

FROM vbpost AS post

LEFT JOIN vbeditlog AS editlog ON (editlog.postid = post.postid)

WHERE post.postid = 954872;

MySQL Error : Table './politicalwrinkles/vbpost' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
    Error Number : 144
    Request Date : Monday, August 12th 2019 @ 08:26:28 AM
    Error Date : Monday, August 12th 2019 @ 08:26:28 AM
    Script :
    http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/954872-post7.html
    Referrer :
    IP Address : 159.69.188.187
    Username : Unregistered
    Classname : vB_Database
    MySQL Version :

The users could see the homepage, but couldn't get into any of the sub-forums.

I went to Maintenance-Repair\Optimize Tables and looked at vbpost...The Data Length and Index length were both zero. I checked it, had Optimize and Repair checked, and hit Continue...After about one minute, I received an internal error. Maybe it did something, because the Data Length went to 775.45 MB and the Index Length went to 1MB.

The frontend of the site started working. members could post and move throughout the site. But I was stll receiving the emails about vbpost, and am still getting hundreds of them now.

The Data Index, now, still reads 775.45 MB, but the Index Length reads 471.21 MB.

I am nowhere close to being a database guy and need assistance. I wouls, eventually, like to upgrade but I fear my database has issues and the upgrade would fail.

Please advise.
    sigpic

www.politicalwrinkles.com

You need to repair the table using MySQL's repair facility. You can attempt to do this in the AdminCP under Maintenance -> Repair / Optimize Tables in your version of vBulletin. If that doesn't correct the issue, you will need to contact your Hosting Provider and ask them to repair the table.

If you've repaired the database, then any emails that were already queued will still be sent. Everytime someone triggers the error, an email will be sent. So if someone pressed the submit button 100 times to trigger 100 errors, you will get 100 emails.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Wayne,

That is mentioned in the original post. I did try the Optimize Table. See the post for results.

Also, I did contact my host provider...here's what they said...

"
      I regret, Unfortunately, the extent of support we can offer on this type of VPS account is limited as it is an un-managed server. We can only ensure power, ping and networking connectivity. Anything beyond that would be your responsibility. Currently, I have successfully rebooted the server and it's active now; However, regarding MySQL table crash or repairing, will investigated either by you or with your web developer."

I'm completely lost.

Please advise.
      sigpic

Comment

Purchasing an un-managed hosting package implies you know the software underneath. Unfortunately, vBulletin's tools for managing MySQL are fairly rudimentary. They were never designed to replace full management and maintenance of the database. We've actually removed these from the newer versions of the software due to this. There are much better management packages available today and we simply can't replicate what they provide.

There are several ways to resolve crashed tables and prevent them from happening in the future. The primary way to do this is to stop using the MyISAM table type that was used in vBulletin 3.8.X and switch to INNODB. I don't know how that would affect your site though as we haven't tested 3.8.X with INNODB. Only vBulletin 4.X and 5.X. Here is the documentation from MySQL on the different methods to repair a database - https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5...intenance.html

Wayne Luke

Comment

Thanks for the documentation.

Is there a service that vBulletin (or a user) provides if I provide access?
          sigpic

Comment

We don't provide Server Support except through our vBulletin Cloud service. We do provide technical support with the software and the tools that it is providing. I recommend repairing the database, one table at a time. Then creating a backup and upgrading to at least vBulletin 3.8.11 from your current version. Upgrading to vBulletin 4.2.5 (provided with your current license) and converting your database tables to INNODB would be the medium term solution. Not sure if your server supports this though. You may need to upgrade both PHP and MySQL on the server.

It should be noted that both 3.8.X and 4.2.X are considered end of life and do not support the newest versions of PHP. The long-term solution would be upgrading to vBulletin 5.5.X.

Is your site still operational at the moment?

Wayne Luke

Comment

Sorry for the delay. I had to do this crazy thing called "going to work".

The site is operational at the moment. I tried repairing the offending table in the database through vB with no luck. If you mean directly, I'll need help.

I'd love to upgrade, but I have little confidence my database is in good enough shape.

Here are the specs for my server. I'm pretty sure it could handle 4.2.X. Don't know about 5.5.X.

Welcome to the vBulletin Admin Control Panel
              Server Type Linux Users to Moderate 0 [View]
              Web Server Apache (cgi-fcgi) Threads to Moderate 0 [View]
              PHP 5.3.3-7+squeeze19 Posts to Moderate 0 [View]
              PHP Max Post Size 8.00 MB Attachments to Moderate 0 [View]
              PHP Maximum Upload Size 128.00 MB Events to Moderate 8 [View]
              PHP Memory Limit 128.00 MB
              MySQL Version 5.1.73-1
              MySQL Packet Size 16.00 MB
              sigpic

Comment

If your site is up and running and users are able to post then the Repair tool in the vBulletin AdminCP resolved the problem. It probably couldn't finish checking all the database tables due to time constraints imposed by the server. Running the tool again should complete quicker. With a functioning database, you should create a backup in case of future failures. Since you have leased an unmanaged server, the responsibility of maintaining the server is your responsibility. That is the meaning of "un-managed". The hosting provider offers you a discounted price because you will be maintaining the server.

Here is a basic tutorial on maintaining a MySQL Database - http://www.mysqltutorial.org/mysql-d...tatements.aspx
                Here is one on creating database backups - http://www.mysqltutorial.org/how-to-...mysqldump.aspx

Unfortunately, those server specs prevent you from any upgrades. I am actually surprised the hosting provider allows the server on their network still. I'll list the minimum requirements for vBulletin in a table below.
                vBulletin PHP MySQL
                3.8.11 5.6.0 5.5.8
                4.2.5 5.6.0 5.5.8
                5.5.3 7.1.0 5.6.10
                In addition to these basics, newer versions of the software require additional PHP Libraries to be installed on the server. Your server configuration is like a time capsule to a older era. This doesn't mean you're out of options though. I can think of several different pathways for your site going forward.
                1. Learn how to maintain and upgrade your server. This could end up being the most expensive option and will require time dedication.
                2. Move to managed cloud-based hosting. Using a VPS for your site is probably overkill with modern server software and hardware. A cloud-based shared hosting package can probably support this. Make sure the provider offers server support. Not all of them do.
                3. Contact your current hosting provider and move to a managed VPS. This would increase your monthly costs but you're paying for server management and support.
                4. Migrate your vBulletin site to vBulletin Cloud. We'll manage the server and all upgrades for you. However, this will mean losing your third-party addons and you will be upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin.
                Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 14th Aug '19, 11:57am.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Thank you for the information. This gives me a ton to think about.
                  sigpic

Comment

4. Migrate your vBulletin site to vBulletin Cloud. We'll manage the server and all upgrades for you. However, this will mean losing your third-party addons and you will be upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin.

I am intereted in this option. I understand I can keep my current domain name, but would it be possible to migrate the database over to the vB cloud? I've been up for 11 years and would hate to lose almost 1M posts.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      Wayne Luke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We can migrate your existing data.

BTW - A strange thing happened on my forum. I went to add a post and received an internal error. I clicked the back button. The thread says the person before me is the last post, but getting into the thread shows my post. What happened?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Internal_Error_1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	4421986

Click image for larger version

Name:	Internal_Error_2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	4421987
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      Wayne Luke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You received an internal server error. Most likely the routine that updates the last post information in the database failed and did not complete. However, that is just a guess. The internal server error or HTTP Error 500 is a generic error and provides the end user with no information as to why it was caused.

You can update your forum information, including the last post information under Maintenance -> Update Counters.