X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by John Diver View Post
    I thanked you so many times for helping me in the past, I can't understand why you are being like this.

I have any asked what I can do to fix software myself that isn't working that I paid for, without having to fix for a problem I didn't cause.
    We're going round in circles again. It doesn't matter that you "didn't cause" the issue. The issue is caused by you trying to run very old, obsolete software on a modern server. It's not compatible. To sort that you need newer software. This is absolutely not an unreasonable proposition.

With regret, I'm going to close this thread now, as several support staff have tried explaining the scenario in many different ways and you are not accepting those responses. I get that you don't like the answers we're giving but the answers are correct. If it was possible to give everyone free copies of the software I'd love to do it, but naturally that is never going to be possible.

If you have anything specific that you need further support with, please open a new thread and we'll be delighted to assist, but we are unable to give you a free copy of the software and that situation is not going to change. I'm sorry that we cannot be of further assistance.

Leave a comment:

• John Diver
    replied
    I thanked you so many times for helping me in the past, I can't understand why you are being like this.

I have any asked what I can do to fix software myself that isn't working that I paid for, without having to fix for a problem I didn't cause.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Just to say.... there was no need to be so rude.
    I'm not being rude. As I stated, this has been going round in circles and it was an attempt to explain it. I know you don't like the answers, and I knew that before I wrote them, but they are the correct answers and that isn't going to change. Giving you clear and straight answers is GOOD customer service, not bad

1. This is NOT a vBulletin error. It is a compatibility issue caused by running older versions of the software with newer servers which is was NEVER DESIGNED TO WORK WITH. You cannot write software and have it be compatible with server platform fifteen years into the future that did not exist at the time you wrote it.

This isn't my problem, if the software I paid quite a lot of money for doesnt work, that is up to vB.
    Yes, and we did, by releasing a new version, which you need to pay for if you wish to use it, as per the terms of the license.

2. We released a newer version of the software which addresses the compatibility issues with newer servers caused by running older versions of the software.
    Because your software doesnt work, if it is an upgrade on the server - The software should be given a free upgrade so it works as paid for.

The software was paid for, it should work or the vB should be fixed and given to people that paid for it.
    You cannot expect software to work forever. Software simply doesn't work like that. What worked on a server in 2003 isn't necessarily going to work on a server in 2018. For that you will need a newer version. Which you need to pay for. The license you bought was designed this way - it hasn't changed. You knew this when you bought it.

3. Your current license doesn't give you access to that version. That's how your old style license works. You agreed to this when you bought it.

If something doesnt work, it shouldn't have to be paid for to be fixed, if something broke on your computer that you didn't cause just for example, should you have to pay for it?
    The software you purchased works on servers that it was designed for, that were current at that time. It cannot possibly be expected, in 2003, that it could be made compatible with servers fifteen years into the future. For that, you need a new version. Which you have to pay for.

4. You haven't paid us anything on this license for at least eight years, if 3.8.6 is the newest version you have access to. Why do you think we would provide you with newer software for free? Despite this, we tried to help you anyway.

Why would I? Because your software is broke. Yes, I agree, you tried to help and I appreciate that, but none of the solutions work, so I don't have a working site.
    The software is not broken, I'm not going to keep going over this because you simply aren't prepared to accept it. You are running an old version of the software, you need a newer version, we have written that version, but you are not entitled to that newer version according to the terms of your license. You need to pay to get that version.

This situation is not going to change - we are not going to give you a free copy of the software. You should now make whatever decision you consider is best for the future of your site.

PS - if you ARE moving to other software - thank you for your custom over the years and good luck on your new platform.
    Last edited by Mark.B; Sun 10 Jun '18, 2:40pm.

Leave a comment:

• John Diver
    replied
    Just to say.... there was no need to be so rude.

1. This is NOT a vBulletin error. It is a compatibility issue caused by running older versions of the software with newer servers.

This isn't my problem, if the software I paid quite a lot of money for doesnt work, that is up to vB.

2. We released a newer version of the software which addresses the compatibility issues with newer servers caused by running older versions of the software.
    Because your software doesnt work, if it is an upgrade on the server - The software should be given a free upgrade so it works as paid for.

The software was paid for, it should work or the vB should be fixed and given to people that paid for it.

3. Your current license doesn't give you access to that version. That's how your old style license works. You agreed to this when you bought it.

If something doesnt work, it shouldn't have to be paid for to be fixed, if something broke on your computer that you didn't cause just for example, should you have to pay for it?

4. You haven't paid us anything on this license for at least eight years, if 3.8.6 is the newest version you have access to. Why do you think we would provide you with newer software for free? Despite this, we tried to help you anyway.

Why would I? Because your software is broke. Yes, I agree, you tried to help and I appreciate that, but none of the solutions work, so I don't have a working site.

Leave a comment:

• John Diver
    replied
    Love your customer service.

Yes, I will take the option to pay someone else.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    And pay $149 for something I didnt cause?

Come on really... This is really bad customer service, Ive been with vB for over a decade.

I have been a loyal customer and been told to change to a different software package?

Once again, this isn't a cheap script - I think support should be provided instead of telling me to go to another software package when I have paid over $1k for custom vB designs.
    Ok, lets be clear and up front here as this is going round in circles.

1. This is NOT a vBulletin error. It is a compatibility issue caused by running older versions of the software with newer servers.

Your license model was cheaper up front but required further payments to gain updates. Newer licenses are more expensive up front but with no further payments for updates to that branch of the software. You're wanting to combine the "cheaper up front" model with the "no further payments" model, and the answer to that is "No".

You therefore have two choices:

Pay us.
    Pay someone else.

You won't get new software for free, from anyone.

Sorry to be blunt, but that's how software development works. Old software eventually becomes obsolete as server technology moves on, and you have to pay for newer software that is compatible. Whether you paid a software company money almost a decade ago makes no difference to that.

Leave a comment:

• John Diver
    replied
    And pay $149 for something I didnt cause?

Come on really... This is really bad customer service, Ive been with vB for over a decade.

I have been a loyal customer and been told to change to a different software package?

then the only choice left is to upgrade or convert to a different software package.
    Once again, this isn't a cheap script - I think support should be provided instead of telling me to go to another software package when I have paid over $1k for custom vB designs.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    You're using an old, unsupported version of the software in a modern server. Something on the server has probably changed and it's broken something.
    We do not support vBulletin 3.8.6. The solution, as already mentioned, is to upgrade to 3.8.11.

Leave a comment:

• John Diver
    replied
    Someone must be able to help with this....

I didnt change anything at all and I have tried different versions of PHP and its still not working.

I have over 13000 emails about this, thats not including the emails that were automatically deleted.
    I dont see it as being a server error, I have tried all PHP versions.. I've no idea how this just happened.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    The software you're using is out of date. It needs to be updated so it is current with modern servers. Your license allowed 1 year of upgrades with the purchase. Until vBulletin 4 came out, customers could purchase an additional year of upgrades for $60.00. We provided upgrades for vBulletin 3.X for over 14 years. When vBulletin 4 was released (in 2009), customers could upgrade and receive free upgrades for the life of vBulletin 4. The same with vBulletin 5 (released in 2012).

Leave a comment:

• John Diver
    replied
    So I have to pay $149 for a vBulletin error or move to different software?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    then the only choice left is to upgrade or convert to a different software package.

Leave a comment:

• John Diver
    replied
    Hey Wayne,

I have done everything you said and it still isnt working.

Database error in vBulletin :

Use of undefined constant usepconnect - assumed 'usepconnect'
    /home/northwes/public_html/world/includes/class_core.php on line 317

MySQL Error :
    Error Number :
    Request Date : Friday, June 8th 2018 @ 08:36:18 AM
    Error Date : Friday, June 8th 2018 @ 08:36:19 AM
    Script : site
    Referrer :
    IP Address : 54.36.149.17
    Username :
    Classname : vB_Database
    MySQL Version :

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    As stated above... You need to turn off display_errors in PHP and set usepconnect to 0 in your config.php file.

In your /includes/config.php set the usepconnect line to 0.

And go into your php.ini file and set display_errors to 0.

If it still doesn't work, you will need to downgrade PHP to 5.2, if your web host provider will allow you to do so.

Leave a comment:

• John Diver
    replied
    Hey,

This is line 317:

$link = $this->functions[@usepconnect ? 'pconnect' : 'connect']("$servername:$port", $username, $password);

What is wrong here?

Do I have to change the PHP version?
    I don't have $149 just to fix one error I haven't caused...

Thanks for any help

Leave a comment: