Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just wondering, which VB 3.8.7 files contain deprecated ampersand symbols?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just wondering, which VB 3.8.7 files contain deprecated ampersand symbols?

    Well as far as I know, VB 3.8.7 is not compatible with PHP 5.4, but the fix is relatively easy. Just have to find all the ampersand symbols and get rid of them, these are what become deprecated in PHP 5.4. I was wondering though, which script files in VB 3.8.7 contain such ampersand symbol? Anyone have a list?

  • #2
    There are 1513 =& constructs in 200 files within vBulletin 3.8.7. We don't have a list of each line that needs to be updated.

    grep or wingrep would help you with this issue.
    Translations provided by Google.

    Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

    Comment


    • #3
      Oh sure, I plan to remove all these ampersands before upgrading to PHP 5.4(still running PHP 5.3.19 atm). And it seems that there are other incompatibility issues involved with PHP 5.4 and Vbulletin? What are them?

      Comment


      • #4
        In 3.8.7? I don't know what all of them are. This is why we have developers and QA that do regression tests. However we never intended to upgrade 3.8.7 to support PHP 5.4.0 as it is end-of-life. 4.2.0 would be closer to support mostly related to deprecated elements and notices. Those can disabled in PHP though.
        Translations provided by Google.

        Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

        Comment


        • #5
          Well I am not asking you what VB4.2 does about deprecated elements, it is a vb3.8 subforum anyway. If you dont know, can you please try to ask a coder or another staff about this? I mean, even if you do not have responsibility to fix them, at least it is a good practice to let us know what we need to fix ourselves. If all you can say is 'VB4.2 will support PHP 5.4', dont even bother.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hall of Famer View Post
            Well I am not asking you what VB4.2 does about deprecated elements, it is a vb3.8 subforum anyway. If you dont know, can you please try to ask a coder or another staff about this? I mean, even if you do not have responsibility to fix them, at least it is a good practice to let us know what we need to fix ourselves. If all you can say is 'VB4.2 will support PHP 5.4', dont even bother.
            3.8 is end of life and so is not likely to be upgraded to work fully with PHP 5.4. The developers are not going to be able to document what changes are required, sorry.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

            TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

            Comment


            • #7
              But this support forum is here for a reason, why not just remove all VB 3.x subforums if all you can say is 'VB3.8 is end of life'. Look, I am not even requesting VB to fix this for me, I just want to know what I possibly need to fix by myself before upgrading to PHP 5.4. I do not wish to resolve these issues after upgrading, since who knows how long my forum will be down for this? Even if its not gonna be a thoroughly list, there's at least gotta be some general descriptions? I mean, now that someone said the incompatibility issues were more than just ampersand symbols, Id really like to know what else are causing trouble.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Hall of Famer View Post
                But this support forum is here for a reason, why not just remove all VB 3.x subforums if all you can say is 'VB3.8 is end of life'. Look, I am not even requesting VB to fix this for me, I just want to know what I possibly need to fix by myself before upgrading to PHP 5.4. I do not wish to resolve these issues after upgrading, since who knows how long my forum will be down for this? Even if its not gonna be a thoroughly list, there's at least gotta be some general descriptions? I mean, now that someone said the incompatibility issues were more than just ampersand symbols, Id really like to know what else are causing trouble.
                Support is still provided for the product as is. It's not going to get any more development time or bug fixes though.

                The support team can't help you with modifying the code. We're not coders.

                I know it sounds unhelpful but development-wise 3.8 really is end of life.

                Your best bet now would be to ask at www.vbulletin.org, there are quite a few people over there who want to keep using 3.8 and they may be able to assist. Peer-to-peer support is the only real way forward for this now.
                MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
                AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                Comment


                • #9
                  Alright then, guess I have to seek help from VBulletin.org. Anyway its a bad choice to give up on VB3.8 this quickly, its still a better software than VB4 ever is and far more popular among forum admins.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hall of Famer View Post
                    its still a better software than VB4 ever is and far more popular among forum admins.
                    Both those statements are your own personal opinion. I'd disagree with both of them.
                    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                    TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
                    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                      Both those statements are your own personal opinion. I'd disagree with both of them.
                      Its not my personal opinion, if you ever browse TAZ(the admin zone) you'd realize how many people do agree with me, and just a very few users consider VB4 to be a superior product than VB3.

                      Comment

                      widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X