Effectively Banning Users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effectively Banning Users?

Unfortunately we have a member who has been banned literally dozens of times. I've banned his email addresses, I've banned his IP addresses, yet he still manages to sign up again with a new email address and IP. How does he manage to circumvent our forum? Is there nothing I can do to be rid of this annoying troll? The time it takes trying to rid ourselves of this loser is giving me second thoughts about bothering with a forum at all.
    Cult Movie Forums

Use the Tachy Goes To Coventry from user banning options.
    www.erodov.com :cool:

Comment

I'm sure I tried that one ages ago - i May give it another try.
      Cult Movie Forums

Comment

BTW dont ban IP addresses .... it will hurt other people as well. Use the AE detector to check for new accounts along with the duplicate IP reports.

Comment

What's the AE detector? I'm not familiar with that.
          Cult Movie Forums

Comment

This is the AE detector http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=183268 It is always 100% correct .. You can also use this http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=282526 but it also gives false positives.

Comment

Sadly there isn't a real solution for such people. It's technical not possible. You can only hope that he gets bored one day and leave your site.

Comment

Manually approve registrations.

Block free e-mail addresses for registration.

There are always options.

Comment

Originally posted by ProSportsForums View Post
                  Manually approve registrations.

Block free e-mail addresses for registration.

There are always options.
                  If you block free e-mail addresses you'll get no new members at all.
                  And checking all new registrations makes no sense at all. Or what do you want to check for?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
                    If you block free e-mail addresses you'll get no new members at all.
                    And checking all new registrations makes no sense at all. Or what do you want to check for?
                    Not necessarily. Most legitimate users receive a free e-mail address from their internet provider. They don't need to use a free one unless they are looking to cause trouble.

Registration IP addresses can be checked to see if they are known or suspected proxy IP addresses, for one.

Nothing is 100% effective but a combination of progressively more difficult obstacles is, in my experience, an effective deterrent.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X