Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot to change the username of posts made by RSS feeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot to change the username of posts made by RSS feeds?

Hey,

I have some RSS feeds setup on my forum, I used my own username when creating them but it is showing on my post count and I also just wanted to change the name of the poster so users don't think I am posting them myself.

I would like to change all RSS feeds to showing the username as "Guest" rather than my own username, is this possible? I can run a SQL query through phpmyadmin.

The username for all RSS posts is "John D" - Would like to change these posts to show the name as "Guest" instead.

Along with this, I would like to change the settings for all RSS feeds to use "Guest" instead of "John D" for all future posts made from feeds.

Thanks for any help
    John Diver

John,

RSS feeds require a real user to be attributed to, "Guest" will not work.

I suggest creating a new user called something like RSS Poster which you can then set in the RSS settings for each feed as the username to use.

There is no supported way of change the names attributed to old/existing posts.

Comment

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the reply

Creating a user to attribute to the posts wouldn't be a problem, even if the actual name Guest can't be used, I can do some similar.

Would you know the SQL query needed to change the username of previously created posts?
      All posts from a username are just for RSS feeds, so in pseudo code it would be something like If user posting = "John Diver" then changed user to RSS poster

Thanks again
      John Diver

Comment

John the username is stored in multiple places, there is no simple query for doing that.

If the user was only used for RSS posts why not just rename the user in the Admin CP to "RSS Poster" or whatever you want to use and create a new Admin account for yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
          John the username is stored in multiple places, there is no simple query for doing that.

If the user was only used for RSS posts why not just rename the user in the Admin CP to "RSS Poster" or whatever you want to use and create a new Admin account for yourself?
          I don't know why I didn't think of doing that! A lot easier

Just did it and that's perfect, thanks Joe!
          John Diver

Comment