Members getting duplicate copies of PM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Members getting duplicate copies of PM's

Members are complaining about getting duplicate copies of pm's. I read an old thread about this where vb support asked if the numbers on the URL string for the pm were identical. The OP didn't respond on that thread, but I asked my members about this, and they said that the pm URL's were not identical.

Any idea what could cause this?
    Talk About Marriage - The marriage and relationship forums.

Are the multiple PMs coming from different users? The most likely cause is users sending PMs clicking the send button multiple times waiting for the page to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
      Are the multiple PMs coming from different users? The most likely cause is users sending PMs clicking the send button multiple times waiting for the page to change.
      Yes, they are coming from different members.

Comment

Can you, as admin, send a few test PMs to other users and see i you notice the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
          Can you, as admin, send a few test PMs to other users and see i you notice the problem?
          I have not noticed the problem, and I have sent a lot of pm's. I just sent one to one of the members who was complaining about the problem. I will ask how many copies he got.

Comment

He only got one. Is there any way this could possibly be happening other than the member clicking the send button twice?

Comment

No not really... If the site was slow I could see members clicking multiple times in frustration (like hitting the elevator button over and over even though you know it won't come faster.)

Occasionally even I will accidentally "double click" on something I should single-click and if the next item doesn't load fast enough I might get duplicate content- although in posts any duplicates within 5 minutes or so automatically get rejected.

Comment

Hi,

I too have been seeing reports in which a user is receiving multiple copies of a single PM. By multiple, I'm talking about more than five copies of the exact same message. The forum in question also has a 60-second wait between messages. Could this issue somehow be related to the flood protection in vBulletin?

Comment

Originally posted by Kesha View Post
                  Hi,

I too have been seeing reports in which a user is receiving multiple copies of a single PM. By multiple, I'm talking about more than five copies of the exact same message. The forum in question also has a 60-second wait between messages. Could this issue somehow be related to the flood protection in vBulletin?
                  It's my belief that users are pressing "send" multiple times on slow performing servers out of frustration. I would really need to see someone be able to reproduce it themselves to confirm anything else.

Comment

I'll try doing it myself but I can't guarantee that I'll be able to reproduce it.

EDIT: On the same website, I registered a separate user account and attempted to reproduce the issue. I was unsuccessful.

I'll advise her to keep trying whenever she sends a PM and record results if it sends duplicates somehow.
                    Last edited by Kesha; Sat 22nd Sep '12, 12:27pm.

Comment

Also seeing this on my forum currently - each PM that comes to me is received in duplicate - 2 or 3 times generally, but I have had 5 duplicates too.

The PMID on each PM in the duplicate 'set' is different.

- - - Updated - - -

(Whoops, sorry, I'm on 4.1.3 so not really relevant here.)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X