Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleomatra
    replied
    I'm sorry, but I still don't know in what order I should do it, and exactly what I should do to get the database uploaded. Is there a manual? I read the one given, but it doesn't seem to be fit for my situation.

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Gordon
    replied
    Access to the old server is only needed to get the database and files from it. As long as you have a working database backup and any files you might want (if attachments were moved to the file system, custom images, etc) it isn't necessary. Just restore the database backup, upload new files, edit config.php, and perform the upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• Cleomatra
    replied
    Originally posted by Lats View Post
    That's called an upgrade

Check these docs...

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/moving_servers
    Thanks for that!

But I don't have access to the original server. The manual says 'moving the database generally requires Telnet or SSH access to both servers.'
    But I only have the database, as in a .sql file. So how do I do that?

Leave a comment:

• Lats
    replied
    Originally posted by Cleomatra View Post
    Ok, thanks for that!

But I'm not upgrading. I will buy 4, install that on a completely new server since I'm going to another host (since my current one is real bad) and then use the database I've got from 3.8.
    Is that possible? And if so, how do I do that?

I'm sorry to have so many questions, and thank you all for you patience, but I've never done such a thing before, so I want to make sure it's even possible.
    That's called an upgrade

Check these docs...

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/moving_servers

Leave a comment:

• Dustin L.
    replied
    Ok, thanks for that!

But I'm not upgrading. I will buy 4, install that on a completely new server since I'm going to another host (since my current one is real bad) and then use the database I've got from 3.8.

I'm sorry to have so many questions, and thank you all for you patience, but I've never done such a thing before, so I want to make sure it's even possible.
    I think it'd be best if you just upgraded using the upgrade script. That way you know your database is setup properly for vB4. But, you cannot use a vB3.8 database with an installation of vB4. Too many database changes you'd be missing.

I promise you, you'll save yourself a headache if you just upgrade the database you have now. Of course, you can always keep a backup of it so you'll still have the 3.8 DB.

Dustin

Leave a comment:

• Cleomatra
    replied
    Ok, thanks for that!

Leave a comment:

• Dustin L.
    replied
    You won't lose any data from vB3.8 to vB4.

Dustin
    Last edited by Dustin L.; Thu 5 Jul '12, 7:24pm.

Leave a comment:

• Amaury
    replied
    But in my database all are the users and topics and such. I don't want to loose them. So how do I import them?
    If you're just upgrading from vBulletin 3 to vBulletin 4, you shouldn't lose anything.

The only time, I believe, that you lose anything, unless you have an import of some sort, is if you upgrade from an entirely different software (e.g., phpBB to vBulletin).

Leave a comment:

• Cleomatra
    replied
    But in my database all are the users and topics and such. I don't want to loose them. So how do I import them?

Leave a comment:

• Dustin L.
    replied
    You can do that but it wouldn't make much sense. You can just follow the instructions in the manual and the upgrade script will make the necessary database modifications. A lot less time needed and much simpler.

Dustin

Leave a comment:

• Cleomatra
    replied
    Do I need to upgrade my database? I'm not sure I understand, or perhaps I wasn't clear. If I buy 4 and install 4 from scratch, can I than import the datasbase from 3?

Leave a comment:

• Dustin L.
    replied
    Yes you can upgrade. Here's the manual for it: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade/

Dustin

Leave a comment:

• Cleomatra
    replied
    I'm thinking about buying the 4 but I need to install my database into it. The database is version 3. So is that possible? And is there a special order in which I need to do it? Perhaps a manual about that?

Leave a comment:

• Amaury
    replied
    Well, they're working on it, so that's fine.

But... the hosting provider said that the backup they've got is infected so they won't put it back. I really hate that hosting provider since their customer service is like 0. Not even saying that they're sorry, no help, nothing. They're basically saying: we want your money, don't count on anything else from us.

So... now I've decided to start afresh with my own old backupped database from april this year. And with a new account from another provider. To make sure I don't get it messed up this time, I want to be sure that I do the right thing, so is there a manual I can use? The plan is to install the 3.8 I've got, then upload the database, and then upload the patches to make it safe so it won't get hacked again. Is that the right order? Any help is very much appreciated!
    I would either install vBulletin 3.8.7 Patch Level 3 or upgrade to the latest version, vBulletin 4.2.0 Patch Level 2.

I suggest changing hosts, too. We use Blue Host and have had no problems with the host.

Leave a comment:

• Cleomatra
    replied
    Well, they're working on it, so that's fine.

But... the hosting provider said that the backup they've got is infected so they won't put it back. I really hate that hosting provider since their customer service is like 0. Not even saying that they're sorry, no help, nothing. They're basically saying: we want your money, don't count on anything else from us.

So... now I've decided to start afresh with my own old backupped database from april this year. And with a new account from another provider. To make sure I don't get it messed up this time, I want to be sure that I do the right thing, so is there a manual I can use? The plan is to install the 3.8 I've got, then upload the database, and then upload the patches to make it safe so it won't get hacked again. Is that the right order? Any help is very much appreciated!

Leave a comment: