Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Content Encoding Error

Hi,

I just installed into a new DB on a new server so that its a vanilla installation - I used the latest version available to me to download which is 3.8.2

In FireFox when I go to the admin page it is blank with a PHP depricated warning (dont really care about the depricated message, the blank page part is the problem)
    Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/forums/includes/init.php on line 49

In IE it shows
    Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
    ^^ Fidler shows some wierd content that doesnt look english in the response

Chrome (after being able to login) shows me
    This webpage is not available
    The webpage at http://www.domain.com/forums/login.php?do=login might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
    Error 330 (net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED): Unknown error.

My host has APC installed, and I have tried to disable plugins and gzip by setting the following in the top of the config.php - I have also tried it on a non APC server, one that uses eAccelerator and same problem.
    It appears to be related to content encoding/compression

Content Encoding Error
    The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
    if I specify content encoding then it just comes back as jibberish and is broken
    wget --header "Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate" http://www.domain.com
    However if I dont specify that, then it works fine
    wget --header "" http://www.domain.com
    I have tried setting no zip and gzip to off but that didnt do anything
    DEFINE('NOZIP', 1);
    I even tried going into the DB and modifying the setting for gzip (since I cant get into the admin) and that didnt seem to help.

UPDATE `db`.`setting` SET `value` = '0' WHERE `setting`.`varname` = 'gzipoutput';
    UPDATE `db`.`setting` SET `value` = '0' WHERE `setting`.`varname` = 'gzipsetting';
    we run 5.3.10, with the necessary suhosin modifications

PHP 5.3.10 (cli) (built: Feb 3 2012 08:20:28)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2012 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2012 Zend Technologies
    with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.0.10, Copyright (c) 2002-2011, by ionCube Ltd., and
    with Zend Guard Loader v3.3, Copyright (c) 1998-2010, by Zend Technologies
    with Suhosin v0.9.33, Copyright (c) 2007-2012, by SektionEins GmbH
    I understand that the site may show depricated messages with this version of the software and php, but believe that it should work, or at least display content to some degree even if its not fully functional. I can get the user content portion of the site to load properly (not admin) if I go in and mess with the firefox settings
    about:config -> network.http.accept-encoding and change from the default of "gzip, deflate" to the value of "true" but I cant expect end users to know that, do that, or even to be using firefox in the first place.
    I am at a loss and don't know where else to look - any help would be appreciated.

In order to use vBulletin with PHP 5.3, you need to use vBulletin 3.8.5 or higher. We do not support anything above 5.2.X with older versions.

For the content encoding error, the most likely cause is having a gzip_handler assigned to PHP output and within the vBulletin system itself. You need to turn this off under vBulletin Options -> vBulletin Options -> Cookie and HTTP Header Options -> GZIP HTML Output = No.

You should be able to access the AdminCP by going to its URL directly.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Hi,

I mentioned that I can not get into the admin section at all, and that I have used 2 different methods to try and turn off gzip manually

[QUOTE][DEFINE('NOZIP', 1); /QUOTE]

UPDATE `db`.`setting` SET `value` = '0' WHERE `setting`.`varname` = 'gzipoutput';
      UPDATE `db`.`setting` SET `value` = '0' WHERE `setting`.`varname` = 'gzipsetting';
      Is there an additional setting somewhere I can manually set/change?

Also, if I am already at 3.8.2 but the members area wont let me download 3.8.5 what options do I have - pay to upgrade and hope it fixes the problem?

Comment

Updating the settings doesn't really turn it off. You need to rebuild the datastore as well. Use the tools.php file to do this. Upload it from the do_not_upload folder into your AdminCP, load it in your browser, rebuild the datastore.

You're problem isn't an upgrade issue. vBulletin 3.8.5 would still gzip the output.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Thank you for your replies and patience with me - but since I cant access the admin section at all, could you advise how I can do this from inside mysql or perhaps from the bash CLI?

Comment

You need to use Tools.php. It is separate from the Admin CP but needs to be in that directory to work properly.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I tried running each option on that tools.php page and it didnt change anything.

Comment

You will need to open a support ticket then.

https://www.vbulletin.com/go/techsupport/

Wayne Luke

Comment

Thanks again for your help so far - I have put in SID-1119016 as per your recomendation.
                  Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 14th Mar '12, 11:56am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X