Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

quoting and database size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • quoting and database size

    When a user quotes another post in their post, does it increase the size of the database or amount of server disk space needed?

    I'm wondering if my disk storage size would be less if there was less quoting on my vb forum.

  • #2
    Well, the system does store that post text in the post table. So yes, slightly. I doubt your disk usage for mysql would drop drasticly if users didnt quote people. It'd also be pretty hard to stop users from quoting people manually or otherwise.

    Comment


    • #3
      Are there any methods to determine what parts of my forum are taking up the most disk space? My site is very small, only a few posts per day but I am using about 925MB of storage space.

      Comment


      • #4
        Look at the tables in your database, do not delete anything, just look. Do you have a tool like phpmyadmin. How do you know you're using 925mb of mysql storagE?

        Comment


        • #5
          I didn't mean to say that the 925 MB is from the database. I just meant that my small vbulletin site uses 925MB. I don't know what is taking up the most space.
          The reason I know it is 925MB is because cPanel, for the site, says that I'm over my allotted storage space (800MB) and that I'm using 925MB.

          Comment


          • #6
            I just noticed that I have 200MB in the "tmp" that is in my home directory. Do you think I can delete all of that?

            Comment


            • #7
              quoting and database size

              Check attachments, hey often take up alot of space, either in dB or file store, depending on how you have it configured.

              Comment


              • #8
                63MB in attachments

                Comment


                • #9
                  quoting and database size

                  Not very big at all, was just throwing it out there, as mine is 3+ GB

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Can the files and folders in my "tmp" folder be deleted without causing problems with my forums? It has about 200MB in it. Thanks.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by testerv View Post
                      I didn't mean to say that the 925 MB is from the database. I just meant that my small vbulletin site uses 925MB. I don't know what is taking up the most space.
                      The reason I know it is 925MB is because cPanel, for the site, says that I'm over my allotted storage space (800MB) and that I'm using 925MB.
                      Attachments are most likely taking up the most space if you allow them. Depending on the size of attachments you're using 1 attached image can take up more space than 10,000 posts, qoutes or not.

                      Originally posted by testerv View Post
                      Can the files and folders in my "tmp" folder be deleted without causing problems with my forums? It has about 200MB in it. Thanks.
                      They could be active files like temporary files for your database. I wouldn't delete them myself. The system should deleted them when they are no longer needed.
                      Translations provided by Google.

                      Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                        Attachments are most likely taking up the most space if you allow them. Depending on the size of attachments you're using 1 attached image can take up more space than 10,000 posts, qoutes or not.
                        My vbulletin Admin Control Panel shows 66MB for attachments, Data Usage: 172MB, Index Usage 80MB, Avatar usage: 575 KB, Profile Picture Usage: 373KB. The tmp folder has 200MB in it. That totals about 520MB. Any idea what the remaining 430MB is being used?


                        Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                        They could be active files like temporary files for your database. I wouldn't delete them myself. The system should deleted them when they are no longer needed.
                        There is a folder called AWSTATS in the "tmp" folder. I should be able to delete those files, right?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by testerv View Post
                          My vbulletin Admin Control Panel shows 66MB for attachments, Data Usage: 172MB, Index Usage 80MB, Avatar usage: 575 KB, Profile Picture Usage: 373KB. The tmp folder has 200MB in it. That totals about 520MB. Any idea what the remaining 430MB is being used?
                          Probably server log files.
                          Translations provided by Google.

                          Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                          I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Where are server log files typically stored?

                            I should be able to delete those without causing problems with the forum,right?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              These are really questions for your webhost. your webhost should also be able to tell you which directories/files are taking the most space.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X